Gallivanting in Amsterdam, July 17-19

Tweety76

I have to share the good news: I booked and paid my flight!!!

This trip is saving my life somedays. When it gets really hard I'm thinking: "I have to keep on because of this trip!" Can't wait to meet all of you, specialy Tweety - my little angel.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This trip is saving my life somedays. When it gets really hard I'm thinking: "I have to keep on because of this trip!"

You and me both. ((((Hugs)))) No idea what I'll do when August rolls round, but I'm committed until then, at least.

• 4 weeks later...

TADAA ladies and gents! I've just set up a countdown in my phone and official count on European time zone is right now 54 days (the time o'clock is wrong). I'm counting days to my arrival in Amsterdam which is the 16th July.

Can't wait to see you guys!!!!!!! :D

After jumping through several hoops (some I didn't think I'd fit through) and correcting several bureaucratic errors (at one point my birth certificate said I was my own father), I have successfully submitted the passport application. Amsterdam has approximately six weeks to get ready for the invasion.

Ported over from Facebook by request.

The Top 10 Ways (or so) I Could Conceivably Cause an International Incident:

1. Get so wasted that I attempt to eat a tourist who my hallucinations (and munchies) convince me is made out of chocolate.

2. Scream at the Consulate for not receiving a complimentary pair of wooden shoes.

3. Stick my finger in a dike - only to find that I've used the wrong spelling.

4. Carry a lance up to a windmill while humming "The Impossible Dream."

5. Demand to see the kid on the paint cans.

6. Announce that I'm allergic to tulips and decree that every single one be uprooted and burned.

7. Insist that "Naw, vunst" is a perfectly appropriate Dutch expression.

8. Complain that today's Dutch women are lazy because I haven't seen a single one carrying two pails on a yoke.

9. Rant about Hitler and Nazis, proclaming that where I come from, German or Dutch makes no damn bit of difference.

10. Exclaim "Bicycles are for wussies - gimme a Mo-ped!"

11. Stagger up and down the Rossebuurt at 3 am singing "Roxanne" at the top of my lungs.

12. Ask of the hotel conceirge "Is there anything here that's the correct goddamm voltage?"

I'm with a couple of friends who have spent time in Amsterdam . Here is a suggested itinerary:

Friday (waiting for everyone to arrive hence late afternoon start)

- River cruise

- Dinner

- Red light

- Coffee shop

- Meander down canal

Saturday:

- riijks museum

- lunch

- Van Gogh museum

- cheese tasting

- dinner

- party

Sunday:

- Anne frank museum

- flower market

- lunch

- Heineken brewery

Obviously we don all have to do the same thing at the same time but these are just some suggestions.

I've been recommended that we each buy an Amsterdam pass as it fires entry to many of the above. Also, Anne Frank house should be booked in advance. If everyone is up for it and agreed on Sunday morning, Injo, do you think you could book us tickets?

Grace x

Hi Grace, I would be happy to book but just looked at the site of Anne Frank and it is totally booked(not just our days but up to august)!

If we are interested in a walking tour maybe we should't wait much longer? I can take care of the reservation!

I know that the Rijksmuseum can be very busy too, so if you want I can look into that and maybe book ahead.

Maybe it's time to start a pm group? I don't do facebook(I think Ursula doesn't either?)

Would somebody mind volunteering to coordinate us all and get an email chain going? Like contact details, what we look like, when to meet, when everyone is arriving. I normally would but I am so swamped with work that all my strategic and organised brain energy is being consumed...

I am SO LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING YOU. It's going to be a bit mental. You're probably going to be sorely disappointed at how blah I am in real life.

Grace, I can do that(if everone agrees!)

I will send a group pm with my emailadres to get all the emailadresses and start it up, after you all have checked the list because I want to be sure I don't "forget" anyone!!

So here's the WOWlist:

Ursula

Grace

Boywidower

Tweety76

Aicha

Michael797

JustJen

Suki 1

Helen

Wnella(not staying at the Wyndham, one day stay?)

Injo

And Grace sweetie, I promise we won't be disappointed and Michael:yes, we can start getting excited :-)))!!!!!

Trying, I wish so too!! I'm so glad I finally get to meet some of my fellowwids!

((Jen)), please don't worry about getting excited or not, it will be so good to see you and give you some real hugs, just be there sweetie.

Can I just say that I so wish I could join this Bago!  It sounds like an incredible time with some fabulous people.  Make sure you share all of your adventures with those of us sitting at home!

Assuming that, as we'll all be in the same hotel, we may have at least one pajama party or something (knowing full well that I'll wind up sleeping in the bathtub), maybe we can collectively compose a report for the board during the trip. :)