Job interview

Amor

I have a job interview coming up. 

During the interview if asked want do you say about being married, single, widow/er?  Would you explain if asked, if so how?

Anything I should do or not do during the interview? 

Illegal as it may be, it comes up.  Polite smalltalk, innocent disclosures, etc.  Nobody's realistically going to tell an interviewer that a question is outright illegal - that's a deal killer right off the bat and you might as well tell them you don't want the job; chances are, they'll find another reason to give it to someone else and your complaint will be ignored.  Real world here; been there, done that (on the interviewee side, not as an interviewer), and preferred to get a paycheck rather than be unemployed.  Not that anyone has overtly asked me an illegal question, but interviewers aren't stupid and they are human.  For example, if a casual lunch is part of the interview process, the conversation is bound to stray to family matters.  These things come up as part of demonstrating that you're able to build rapport and fit in with the existing team.

My concern would be why it would be an issue.  Are there those out there who would discriminate against us?

I'd suggest being open and honest.  While not one to capitalize on this miserable situation, being widowed certainly generates an abundance of empathy and sympathy.  As I'm rapidly learning, we're all now part of a rather large but rather silent club.

It's nothing to be ashamed of.  If asked, explain.  If not, feel free to keep it to yourself.  What do we have to hide?

Thank you all very much!

The interview went great.  The testing was a bit harder.  I still have widow brain.  The written test I took 2 years ago and got a 97% on it and today I got a 77%ick.  I hope soon I do not feel so stupid. 

They did not ask.  Lucky me.