Surprises our loved ones gave or did for us 8)

Sandi1970

I was thinking about different really awesome things or ways Chuck surprised me.  He loved going over the top to surprise me. He'd tell our close friends and family, so everyone would get the surprise reveal along with him. He was like a little kid on Christmas morning!

So, one year I went out of town early December and it over lapped when he did too. He told me our dog, Chip was after this gift he bought me and he made me call him when I got home so he could lead me to it. It was a stuffed animal bear, or so I thought.  He told me I had to sleep with it while he was gone and make sure the dog did not tear it up. I thought it was ridiculous, so I put it on my dresser. He called the next night and asked about it, I admitted it was on the dresser. He asked me to please sleep with it, so I threw it on the bed thinking how silly it all was, it was JUST a bear with clothes on. I even thought he was acting so crazy about it, I shook the thing in front of the dog, teasing her to see if she'd take it. Nope and he kept insisting she wanted it.

So he comes home really early a few days later and wakes me up, the bear was in bed with me and it's still days before Christmas... He starts talking about the bear and I say it 's cute but what is the story with the bear and I admitted dangling and shaking it a few times to taunt the dog with it. He freaked and I instantly felt bad. So what's with the bear?! He bought me a diamond tennis bracelet and he clipped it around its neck but you couldn't see it because of the collared shirt on the bear!!

OMG I slept with this thing for like 5 days and even tried provoking the dog with it! Love it! Miss him and those surprises so much!

What are your surprises you miss? 

Actually it was because of surprises that I fell for him...I'll try to make this quick...

I met him just after I had gotten my first house (and the beginning of my buying fixer uppers).  We had been dating exclusively about 4-5 months and I was going away to see my mom.  I asked him if he would come take care of the cats.  Prior to this in passing conversations I must have mentioned how I would like a coat hook at the backdoor,  an entertainment center for the TV (it was on an end table) and that I needed to finally get some pictures hung.  Well you guessed it,  I came home to coat hooks, pictures on the walls and the TV inside an entertainment center (that he brought from his place...must have figured since he was spending all of his time with me...)

How could I not fall in love?

Mick very rarely tried to surprise me. He did the usual stuff, like bringing flowers home with him on our anniversary and Valentine's Day, and he'd sometimes call me and suggest something spontaneous, like going out to dinner. But the two real surprises I remember are for my 30th and 40th birthdays. For my 30th, he invited a few key people over to the house (it was a weeknight)  and got an ice cream cake. Our boys were very young (2 and 4) so it was easier to stay in than go out. For my 40th, Mick and my brother-in-law planned a double surprise party for me and my twin sister. It was a rocking good party, filled with family and friends. A ton of planning went into the party. I was so impressed!

My husband was all about the big, romantic surprises. Part of it was his bigger than life personality and he liked showing off. Honestly, as a hidden romantic, I totally ate it up.

1) On Valentine's Day the first year we were dating he showed up at my work unexpectedly (I worked on a trading floor at a bank) and he walks in with flowers, hellium balloons, a huge stuffed animal etc etc (he had coordinated this with my analyst so he could get in) and he walks up and says I love you darling and gives me a kiss and hands me all this stuff.

2) I had a surprise engagement - he "kidnapped" me from work, flew me to the BVIs where he had chartered a sailboat and we spent a week sailing, just the two of us (he had the whole agenda planned) - he tried to hold off but asked me to marry him on day 3, at Willy Ts in front of the all the patrons in the bar and restaurant.

3) When we got back, he had a surprise engagement party at his Mum's house - he rented a white corvette, booked a bagpiper to pipe us in, had asked my entire family to fly in and there was a weekend long party for the engagement. It was so beautiful.

Sometimes I really miss these fun, happier times...I know I am never going to be spoiled like this again.

My father died 5 years before DH, I spent months driving back and forth out of state to help out and stayed there the last 2 weeks of his life sleeping at the hospital and then next to his hospital bed when he came home on hospice (he didn't want to be alone but wanted my mom to sleep). He died on December 5th, DH came right away with the kids to help out with arrangements and then attend the funeral.  We had to drive home, 2 1/2 hours, in separate cars and of the many thoughts I had alone on that drive I was worried how I would have the energy and desire to make Christmas nice for my 3 boys.  I always went over the top,for Christmas.  When I got home I was cranky and snapped at the kids as we were unloading the car.  When I walked in the  house I saw he had done all of the Christmas decorations while my Dad was on hospice, what would take me days to do normally.  I burst into tears and scared the poor kids who were so excited to surprise me.  He couldn't have picked a more perfect thing to do for me.

When I was working as a nurse, I was scheduled to work on valentine's day, no big deal because I was married a couple years and had my love every day. I wasn't expecting anything but my husband sent pizza for the whole floor and an enormous flower arrangement for me. It was a nice surprise.

I am obsessed with sleeping on clean sheets. I went to London with some friends, left on Wednesday got home Monday. DH washed the sheets Sunday and then slept on the couch Sunday nite so I could be the first one to climb into the clean sheets when I got home on Monday. After four nites in a hostel, it was an amazing surprise!!!!

It was our last Christmas season in our rental home before moving into our first purchased-together home. Actually, it was his last Christmas, period.

I took off for a weekend trip with my friends, and when I'd returned, Brooks greeted me and then led me into the living room for the lil surprise he'd cooked up while I was away--he'd bought a Christmas tree,(a real one, eee!!), and had strung the lights on it so it was prepared for me to decorate (my favorite part).

This sweet gesture touched me because we'd decided---me, wistfully so-- not to put up a tree that year since we were in the midst of packing to move. Also, DH suffered from nasty, chronic allergies so we always had opted for an artificial tree.

Most priceless was the boyish and proud grin he wore when he presented the tree to me.

And now, it's a cherished memory of My Love.

Baylee

It was july 4th and when we went to visit friends as we walked to there back yard everyone shouted happy birthday he gave me a surprise birthday party through the years he would surprise me with little gifts and flowers