random question

smabify

So if you had a child, got divorced when that child was 3 months old, and remarried 2 years later, are you still a "single parent"?

It has come up a few times recently, and I seem to have a different opinion than most, so just testing the waters here to see if I'm crazy. Crazier than normal, at least.

I'd say no, unless your new spouse takes no role in that child's life, which would be weird.  The child has a parent and a stepparent (and maybe the other natural parent, if the child still sees that person).  Is that the wrong answer?

I don't think so,  would you check the box that says Married, Single or Divorced?  Well if you are remarried than you should check Married in which case you are not a single parent.  I mean let's put it this way,  if you had to leave the house suddenly in the middle of the night for something is there an adult in the house that you are married to that can stay with the child?  My guess is most every true single parent would answer "No".

I agree. I don't even like when some divorced women refer to themselves as "single parent" when the ex husband lives 5 miles away, has the kids 2 nights a week and every other weekend. That's a divorced parent. A single woman yes. To me a single parent is when you are completely on your own. No coparenting, no step parent. Just my opinion.

Thank you everyone!  I think much the same way.  A single parent is one that's doing it on their own.  A divorced parent may fall under both categories (depending on the level of commitment by the ex spouse. if (s)he runs away and has nothing to do with them, the remaining spouse is a single parent as well.)

In the particular group I'm dealing with, this opinion is very minimal.  Once a single parent, always a single parent.  When I try to say that you are no longer a single parent after you've been married for 15 years and were single for 2 years before that, I get scathing comments.  Glad to see at least some agree with me!