Potty training a boy....ugh

EBeyer23

My son is 2 and half but is showing all the signs he is ready to start. He constantly goes "potty" which entails him sitting on the toilet, fully clothed, throwing tp in the toilet and flushing. he has yet to do any business in the toilet. I would appreciate any tips or tricks from those of you that have trained boys.... Also, how did you know they were ready. I don't want to push him, but a life without diapers would be amazing!

My oldest boy seemed to take forever, I had visions of changing his diaper in high school,lol.

Youngest boy was trained within a week, or so.

Can't really remember if I did anything differently with them, but I never put diapers or pull ups back on them once I put them in underwear, except at bed time. I think my youngest was quicker because he hated being wet. Also just reminding them frequently to try to go potty, and celebrate when they do, but most importantly I didn't get upset when they had an accident...recently a friend on Facebook posted she trained her kid in a few days, doing some three day potty training method?! Or something like that... Good luck!

Each kid seems to learn in their own way. My daughter took forever, but my son learned fairly quickly. We utilized a scheme of small prizes (like stickers or candy) with an opportunity to a bigger prize (he got a leapfrog when he completely stopped wearing diapers). My only real advice is to not stress out. With my daughter(my oldest) I kept trying to force her and it took much longer. With my son, I let him have more control and it went a lot easier. Good luck, life without diapers is wonderful. :)

I potty trained 3 boys and they were all so different!  With my first I tried to force it and nothing worked until he decided he was ready.  So with the other 2 I didn't push as much and it saved my sanity!  I would give them opportunity and praise them if they tried but was more laid back.  Once they really showed interest I did the M&M rewards.  All 3 of them were very motivated by picking out underwear with favorite super hero on them. 

It's so hard not to push when you see the light at the end of the tunnel for diapers!  But keep in mind that when they are potty trained you have to stop at every public restroom and carry extra clothes in case of accidents.  So it's not all rosy on the other side of potty training either, lol!

Just potty trained my son in the past year, admittedly with help from our nanny. But here are a few tips we used. Letting him wear underwear in the day rather than diapers, having him watch potty related Childrens videos (ie Daniel Tiger or Sesame Street), asking him ALOT whether he needed to go potty, using an incentive system and lots of praise- ie a sticker chart and small pieces of chocolate. It took some time and we hands few accidents but he at 3 is now learning to pee standing up. Was solo happy to be rid of diapers! Keep with it, he will get it. All the best,

My son is much older now - but I remember very clearly the potty training process with him.  We went out and bought a "potty" together - one that he chose, and that he could easily sit on by himself.  Also got stickers that he could paste on the potty whenever he went.  I bought a toy that he loved - a model car, and placed it on a high shelf where he could see it while using the potty, and let him know that once he was doing okay he could have the car.   

I tried not to stress about the process - not easy but it made a big difference in how he did with everything.  Took about 2 months - one night I forgot to put him in pull-ups, and he was perfectly dry the whole night.  From then on we were good. 

You'll get there    ;)

... asking him ALOT whether he needed to go potty...

We had to do this  :) For some reason DD was very "retentive", and always wanted to test fate by waiting til the last minute. Marsha and I would joke about seeing H hauling-ass through the house trying to make it to the bathroom before she peed herself!

My son is 3 1/2 but I bought him Spiderman underwear and that did the trick. (He loves superheroes) Number twos took a bit longer, he would go and put his pull ups on so he could do his business because he just didn't like using the toilet for that for some reason.

I did an unpopular thing among the people around me.  I waited for him to decide. 

I tried at 2 and 2.5 and then my son told me he didn't want to do it.  So I waited.  Every so often I would ask him in the store if he wanted big boy pants and if he said no, we moved on.  He said he didn't want to pee on Buzz (Lightyear) or Lightening McQueen so he wanted to leave the underwear in the store.  One day he asked for them.  He was 3 months from his 4th birthday and he wanted Buzz Lightyear underwear.  He got a sticker each time he went successfully.  He was day and night trained in under 3 weeks.  The biggest battle I had after that was getting him to stand to urinate.  I think he thought I was playing some kind of trick on him.  The trials of being the only male in the house.

• 1 month later...

Don't stress. He'll get it. I started by not putting on diapers at home and ask him all the time if he needed to go to the toilet. Initially he had a couple of accidents . I tried to never make a fuss, when there was one. He gradually learned it and now he goes to the toilet by himself, sometimes he climbs up to sit like mum and most of the time he stands, as he recalls his dad standing and because the childcare place he goes to makes a point of boys not sitting for peeing. No idea why, but alas.

Summertime (or living in a warm climate) helps, I used to let him run around with a naked bottom at home, and if he needed to pee urgently outside, then that was no big deal. our boy is a bit over 3. I still put on diapers at night. Wearing real big boy's underpants was also an incentive, and yes, Lightning McQueen undies are just too great not to wear.