Spreading Kindness thread

DonnaP

This is my original post - we are working on a kindness chain. Let me know if you still want to participate.

I stumbled upon this website today and read the story behind it. Basically, there is an organization based in Tucson, AZ, and Newtown, CT, called Ben's Bells, which is dedicated to spreading kindness. What really struck me is the idea of recognizing the kindness in others AND making a commitment to practicing kindness in your own life. We can participate in a number of ways. The easiest is this one:

Be Kind Challenge

https://bensbells.org/bekindchallenge

I also plan to get some of the kindness coins (in memory of). These are handmade clay discs with a tag that you can write the name of someone who has passed away. See the description at https://bensbells.org/shop/memory-kindness-coins-set-10 and pass them out to people.

If anyone wants to join me, reply to this thread, and/or PM me your info, then I'll put a group together. Then we can all post our "1,000 acts of kindness" and I will work on making our chain of kindness.

If you want a memory coin, let me know. I can order a bunch and distribute them to people.

What do you think??

I still think of you, Mick! Every ... single ... day.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Donna , was apart of the original kindness thread. Happy to see it brought back !

Last night at baseball , I received my girl scout cookies . Over heard a friend , that I know has money issues saying to another , I wish I had been able to get some this year. So I went over , asked her what she likes and gave her 2 boxes. She kept saying I'll pay you back. Told her nope. Was on me.

A student came to me this morning wanting to talk.  Without sharing confidential information, he had a really bad night and a difficult morning.  I offered to contact his other teachers to get his assignments and allowed him to just stay in my room, for today.

I love, love, LOVE this idea!  Count me in and thank you so much for posting this.

I learned many years ago of the benefits of giving.  It's amazing medicine for both the heart and the soul.  I find that getting out of my head is good therapy.

I am only nine weeks out, so the first time I found myself focusing on giving was Valentine's Day.  I was determined not to sit there and cry all day, so I began either making or picking up small gifts for my inner circle.  The fact that no one was expecting anything made the giving that much sweeter.  My favorite gift that I gave was to my sister-in-law.  I found a really pretty portable coffee cup with a heart that said, "I don't know what I'd do without you."  She loved it and still uses it every day.

With joy in my heart, I then wrote my first blog post since my husband passed, entitled simply, Love.  I wanted to let my readers know what it's really like to lose your beloved, but also convey my ideas for getting through it.  I expanded the idea of widowhood to also include divorce and break-ups, so it would have more reach and hopefully help more people.

It felt so good, and it was the first time I enjoyed writing anything again in weeks.

Excellent post Donna! I'm in too.

Bought breakfast for a marine home on leave this morning without him knowing who did it. Loved his face when the waitress told him.

Babysat (is there a better term for this?) one of my wife's special ed 1st graders so that her great-grandmother (her guardian) could get her hair done and have some alone time. We had a very nice tea party but my tiara wouldn't stay put.

Mike

I also volunteer and do deliveries for Meals on Wheels every Thursday.  Does this count?  I love to visit the elderly, they are so happy to see a friendly face!  I makes my heart happy to help.

Are we supposed to just keep adding to the thread and keep it going?

I also volunteer and do deliveries for Meals on Wheels every Thursday.  Does this count?  I love to visit the elderly, they are so happy to see a friendly face!  I makes my heart happy to help.

Are we supposed to just keep adding to the thread and keep it going?

Yes, SimiRed, of course that counts!  :)

And yes, we are supposed to keep adding to the thread. We are trying to get to 1,000 acts of kindness!

My best friends 12 year old little girl has terrible anxiety complicated by Aspergers. She was missing a lot of school, come to find out she is scared of riding the bus because some of the kids pick on her. She and I have worked out a deal where if she promises to have her stuff together and ready every day,  I'll take her to school. Should have seen her face this morning :)

While spraying weeds in the front yard, I saw an elderly neighbor struggling to take out his trash, while dragging his oxygen tank and walker behind him.  I went over and took care of the trash for him, and was rewarded with a wonderful conversation and much gratitude.  :) :) :)

3/20

A co-worker and I took our Moms (who met at the senior center) out for lunch and conversation on a snowy afternoon. A good time was had by all.

3/21

Offered to drive my sister to the hospital to visit her new baby grandson, but did not end up going b/c the baby was in the NICU all weekend :(

3/23

Suffered through a ridiculously complex board game that has 20 pages of instructions and more pieces than any board game has a right to claim -- all because my son's GF got it for Christmas and no one else had the patience to learn to play it with her. I hope they don't want a rematch. hahahah

Made a homestyle meal for son and GF and sent the leftovers home with them.