legal questions (house ,will etc)

donswife

So funny you posed this question today.  A couple of months before my DH died we both had wills done by his friend who is a lawyer(for free).  It is six years later and I have a few minor changes that I want in place.  I just googled free online will forms.  Pretty clearcut.  Gonna do it as soon as I get home from week away and am near a printer.  Only need witnesses.  Bank accounts have beneficiaries on the accounts and so do life insurance policies and annuities.  Looks easy to me and will save $500-$1000.

Pat

This is something my lawyer (top estate lawyer in my city) told me. Please check with your own lawyer to feel comfortable with what you want to do. This is not advice, I'm just passing on what I was told. I am not a legal expert!

We did not have wills,  yes I know stupid. Made my life somewhat complicated after his death but all is good now.

My lawyer told me a hand written holographic will is less contested than a will kit will or on line will because it is entirely in your own handwriting and does not even need a witness. Will kits are printed and the witnesses could be hard to verify without a lawyers presence.

He told me to go home and write a holographic will immediately that would serve me until he could complete the proper one.

We never got around to making wills because we never had/made time to go see a lawyer. If I knew then how easy it would be to do one without a lawyer, we would have done it. This is just my personal story...please check with your own lawyer for advice.

so what is a holographic will ? :)

will look into it

first thing I need to get is living will and have added name on bank accounts

I so hate the paper work part of all of this , well i hate everthing about all of this !!

(Lawyer here)  Though  many/most are similar/the same in what they require, each state has its own requirements.  Some states require witnesses (who will not be beneficiaries of the estate) to your signature.  Make sure you know what your state requires before assuming your will, even if handwritten, will be honored. 

looks like my state doesn't accept holographic wills but i will do the Nola

seems like that should do it

god damn I hate this paperwork stuff

being a grown up when all you want to do is get through the day sucks

but thank you all for the advise , it really helped

I literally JUST had my will redone, and a new one drafted for my new husband (also a widower). The lawyer gave us a great price -- only $250. I was thrilled and feel much better knowing that all my wishes are in writing and on file at the lawyer's office. Plus we have a copy for our home filing cabinet too :)

He (the lawyer) also threw in a power of attorney and living will document at no extra charge.

Good luck - with whatever route you choose. Without children in the picture, I assume yours will be far less complicated than mine.

DonnaP

Guest nonesuch

People might want to consider a Medical Power of Attorney as well. When my Mom was in the hospital, we discovered the power of attorney already in place didn't cover her medical wishes. So, the doctors and nurses had to take her off sedation, explain the ramifications to her, and have her sign a new Medical Power of Attorney and DNR with the hand she doesn't usually use, because her dominant had was broken.  Since the issue was about removing her intubation and the outlook for her recovery wasn't good, the whole scene was sad and surreal.