Virtual book club? "David and Goliath" by Malcolm Gladwell

Guest TooSoon

Guest TooSoon

So I just got off the phone with SoVerySad and we both ordered Malcolm Gladwell's "David and Goliath," a book about successful people who lost a parent young (could be free on Google books but I haven't checked).  I am not a huge Malcolm Gladwell fan but feel I should read this book because I am the mother of a child who lost a parent young, and we thought we might be able to have a virtual book discussion here (something new, you know, spice it up a bit ) :)).  If so, as a resident teacher, I will, after interest is expressed (or not expressed) establish a due date (though I will not assign grades - I promise) for discussion.  Anyone interested in joining us?

Guest TooSoon

Great!  This is shaping up nicely.  CG, I confused two of his books last night so edited my messages to fix it (I blame Malbec). 

Question is: when shall we plan to be done and discuss?  Or should we discuss it chapter by chapter?  (no clue what I am doing here - never been in a book club let alone a virtual one).  Thoughts?

I'd love to join this discussion!  One of my great pleasures in life is reading books and talking about them.  I'm in a book group, so an online version would be interesting.  Not familiar with this book, and never have read Malcolm Gladwell, but there is a copy of "The Tipping Point" on my shelves; my late husband read and loved it.  Will get a copy of this and join the conversation.

I'm in!  My kids were 14 and 16 when DH died, should be an interesting topic and we will have a unique and personal  perspective on it. 

I've enjoyed various book groups over the years, an on-line one should be interesting! 

Suggest that you pick a date and then post discussion questions on the book - ?  Gee, it would be great to chat live but sure would be hard to gather all of us together at the same time!    ;D

Count me in!!

Just ordered it off Amazon.

My daughter also had a severe speech delay as a very young child.

Out of my 3 kids....she has the best work ethic, sense of independence/confidence..determination. She's still in speech but pretty much couldn't talk until she was 5. She's bloomed over the past 2 years and is my most well adjusted kid.

On more than one occasion I have said her speech delay helped mold her into a confident determined 8 year old.

I always root for the underdog. And love reading inspirational, unifying books.

Guest TooSoon

Hi all - sorry I've been MIA - out of mobile range on vacation this past week.  My copy arrived while away so I can get started tonight. 

I'm game to proceed any which way but not entirely sure what would work best as a book-club novice.  Ideas? 

Got it!

I'm on chapter two..haven't had much time for reading.

Are we going to discuss by chapter? I've never been part of a book club before but have read books intended for them and usually at the back there is a series of questions to answer once you've read all of the book...