Changes-- New Career

mmg19

I posted several weeks ago that I would be stepping into a new career in August.  Teaching middle school science as a first time teacher at age 45.  As grateful as I am to have this job, I am feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and scared to death.  I am using my 4 days vacation time from current job to observe, volunteer, and be mentored by an excellent teacher in summer school. 

The subject matter is no problem since my background is in science.  BUT  all the other preparation, rules and regulations, accountability, learning styles, etc. are really opening my eyes to the world of education.  The classes I took the past year to get certification were not hands on.  My mentor is so patient and understanding and is going to spend more time with me than he bargained for.  I'm working current job until August 1 and will have 1 week before school starts.  DH was my encourager and I sure do need him now.  My new mantra "I Can Do This.  I Will Succeed".

You'll do just fine.  It's a good sign that you're worried about these things; you'll prepare adequately as a result.  It's the teachers who "phone it in" who are terrible educators, even if they have decades of experience.

Can't say that it won't be hard, crazy, or flabbergasting at times.  But it'll also be invigorating and exciting to be helping those whose lives are just beginning to blossom.  You'll have a fantastic time, trust me.  And in a couple of years, it'll be old hat.

Jealous...:)

Guest mawidow

You are doing it and succeeding right now! I am so inspired by your commitment.

I am embarking on a career change myself and am back in the "kindergarten" stage of life at 45. It is quite an adjustment. Sending big support.

Thanks for all the votes of confidence.  My boys even gave me confidence last night.  Not having experience in classroom management has concerned me.  Last night my 14 year old said " You will have no problem in the discipline.  You only say things once and you mean it."  Hope he is right. 

I'm a teacher and I was in my mid-thirties when I began teaching.  There are some things you can do to help yourself prepare for the school year.  Think about what's going to be important to you in your classroom.  Do you want a quiet environment, do you want to assign a lot of group work, how do you want to handle things such a homework or absent work, etc.?  Start a list of these things and then prioritize and think about how to implement them in your classroom.  Be prepared on day one to make your expectations clear to your students - make notecards to follow, if you're nervous.  Be consistent with what works and be flexible to change what doesn't work.  Once you get to know your colleagues, they'll be a great resource of knowledge and experience.  Good luck :)

Thank you - love Mike -.  I'm feeling much more positive about this career change.  Right now I need to close out my current job and tie up all the loose ends.  I agree that preparation for setting the expectations and climate of the classroom is key.  Working with my mentor teacher has been productive. 

• 2 weeks later...

On my way to new career.  I've noticed several teachers on this board and most are confident and experienced.  My friends are supportive and tease and laugh (at me or with me) about my compulsive personality.  Probably a flaw but I can't stand to leave an ?i? not dotted or ?t? not crossed.  So this week after work each day I will be spending time at the school where I will be teaching learning the computer system and going through the online teaching materials available with the textbooks I will be using.  The principal has been so willing to give me access to these tools.

There is a new teacher orientation but not until teachers return prior to students.  My workload right now is minimal and consists of training my replacement so I wanted to take advantage of any help in preparation for teaching.  My computer expertise(or lack of) is not education oriented.  Once school starts I want to focus on learning the individual students and not be overwhelmed in the mechanics of technology.  Mantra still in effect.  ?I can do this.  I will succeed.?  Grief moments hit but survival holds them at bay.  ?K? I miss your calming influence and gentle touch at the end of the day.  Will I be the only 45 year old new teacher??  Yes, I know the other new teachers will be so much more tech savvy. 

My experience in teaching is that every school has a few teachers, who are less comfortable with the technology than others, even experienced teachers. Just take a deep breath and relax, if you can. With time and practice, you will get comfortable with the technology.