Cancer Wids?

smabify

Deb,

I'm so sorry...  Cancer just sucks.  My DH had colon cancer; my BIL died from pancreatic a month later; and any day now I will lose a wid-friend due to pancreatic cancer.  What amazes me with all three of these men is the grace and dignity they all had when facing this diagnosis.  Both in living every day after their diagnosis but then in facing death in their final days.  I agree with you...I don't think I would handle it as graciously either.  I'm glad you were able to spend those last days with him.  In time, I was able to be grateful for those last days together and know how lucky I was to have that time.  Wishing you comfort and peace.  It's a sucky club you are now part of, but this board/community is a great place for support.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, cancer widow here.

My healthy, vegetarian, never-smoking DH was diagnosed with lung cancer at stage IV and given 6-8 weeks to live. He made it about 6 months.  It was hell. I'm still in shock. We have a kindergartener.

So sorry for your loss!!!

And...I just read all the replies. Shit.

I'm so sorry for everyone's loss and suffering.

Metastatic cancer from an unknown primary source. 32 days from diagnosis to death. Made worse because they first treated him with antibiotics for bronchitis even though he had a history of lymphoma. When the first round of antibiotics didn't clear it up in two weeks, they put him on stronger antibiotics for an additional two weeks. Four weeks of non-treatment for what we already knew was cancer and based on his past experience, would be astonishingly aggressive..and it certainly was.  >:(

Fucking managed care...more like careLESS.

Starting at age 19 (I met her when she was just starting remission), Hodgkins, breast, then the other breast, then pancreatic at age 44.  The last beat her, as it usually does.  The fact that before she'd kept "winning" (how I hate that word) made for a severe case of denial for the first month or so.  I dunno, maybe that was for the best.  I didn't really lose it until a couple of months after she died.

Non Hodgkin lymphoma. Started as a typically slow-growing form that, while incurable, has a generally long survival period (follicular lymphoma). Rapidly transformed into a very aggressive but frequently curable form (DLBCL), which for him turned out to be resistant to all treatments, from ones that normally can cure it, especially in someone as relatively young and as healthy as he was, to an experimental clinical trial.  He beat the odds, which were all in his favor, and died. Just about 2 years from diagnosis to death from cancer-induced multiple organ failure. Only fairly recently have I begun to be able to remember him without it being memories/flashbacks of hearing his final gasping breaths, lying to him that we (kids & me) would be fine, that everything would be okay, and then reassuring him that we will see him later.

Guest TooSoon

Brain. Glioblastoma Multiforme. Misdiagnosed until it was the size of my fist.

Cancer sucks.

Another Glio-fucking-blastoma Multiforme widow here.  Oh, ABL, what an insane journey that was.  Some days I still marvel that we made it through and are still standing because there were many days when I wasn't so sure.  xxoo

Stage 4 Kidney cancer, rare aggressive subtype (1%). No signs of anything and in incredible shape and health until first symptom at stage 4. Gone in 7 months.

After being on this side of the fence, I am so bothered by all the "cancer lore" - such as all the stories in the media about the cancer fighters who win with their positive thoughts. If optimism was a true factor, my husband would have lived till he was 105. My brother has a good expression that "fate steps in and lets you know who is in charge."

I know similar things have been said on these site; it is nothing new. But the shock IT happened still takes my breath away and I suppose it always will.

Stage 4 Kidney cancer, rare aggressive subtype (1%). No signs of anything and in incredible shape and health until first symptom at stage 4. Gone in 7 months.

After being on this side of the fence, I am so bothered by all the "cancer lore" - such as all the stories in the media about the cancer fighters who win with their positive thoughts. If optimism was a true factor, my husband would have lived till he was 105. My brother has a good expression that "fate steps in and lets you know who is in charge."

I know similar things have been said on these site; it is nothing new. But the shock IT happened still takes my breath away and I suppose it always will.

I am so sorry for your loss. This too annoys the hell out of me, people who are positive seem to be deemed more worthy to live than someone who is struggling with what they are facing - you can't tell me that these people are 100% happy all the time, it's just what they present to the world. Also the 'miracle cures' touted in the press, it used to upset Anthony no end to have well meaning friends text or email us links to the lastest thing to try. We aren't religious in the conventional sense either and it annoys me when people tell you to have faith, God has a plan. As my 8 year old said, there is no good god that would allow this to happen to his daddy.

My wife, Catherine, died in July 2014, 8 years after the discovery of her first soft tissue sarcoma tumor.

After being on this side of the fence, I am so bothered by all the "cancer lore" - such as all the stories in the media about the cancer fighters who win with their positive thoughts. If optimism was a true factor, my husband would have lived till he was 105.

I agree with this completely.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

Leiomyosarcoma of the left pulmonary artery. Misdiagnosed as a Pulmonary Embolism. Symptoms persisted and was misdiagnosed again, with a psychogenic cough- a fancy way of saying that persistent barking cough is all in your head. Someone finally had the good sense to repeat a CT. The diagnosis did not seem compatible with life. It wasn't. As many of you witnessed the same, my husband went through unimaginable procedures and complications to try to stay alive for his family.  He passed July 2015.

Guest TalksToAngels

Cancer wid. Misdiagnosis, with soon after to be "death sentence". I hold a lot inside, knowing the doctors could have acted sooner, with regard to treatment. It seems a complete blur now.

Guest nonesuch

i didn't even look closely at late husband's death certificate until yesterday.  I had to fax it to the manager of the Veterans' Cemetery.

Pulmonary embolism

Lung cancer