Connecticut...

Wheelerswife

...and every contiguous and non-contiguous state nearby...

Rosie and I will be traveling east over the holidays on my break from school and I've been trying to figure out when we can bago while I'm there.  I know we won't be able to catch everyone, but here is my proposition.

New Years falls on a Thursday night/Friday this year.  I'm thinking about the weekend that follows..the 2nd and 3rd.  We can go with our old standby, Gouveia's Winery in Wallingford, CT, unless someone wants to host.  I'm not in a position to offer a sanctuary myself.  (My car won't fit all of us!)

For those who have never been to a Connecticut Winery bago, we have a long history of bagos at this location.  I went to my first bago there in November of 2009 and this was also the place I was the day my second husband died.  I received the news while sitting in my rental car in the parking lot.  Still, I've returned to this location and I can handle being there.  The weekend of the 2nd and 3rd will be just a week or so away from the second anniversary of John's death.  I'd rather be amongst widow friends as I approach the anniversary of his death, and I'll start heading back west toward Kansas after this weekend.

The winery has a big open room with tables and chairs and lots of windows to look out over the countryside.  We typically arrive around noon and stay as long as we wish...usually at least 4 hours, but people can come and go based on their own needs and travel distances.  We bring food to share that is easily edible...mostly just finger foods, pot luck style.  We don't worry about who brings what.  We have never been disappointed with the variety of things to eat.  The winery sells wine, coffee, soda and water.  We cannot bring any beverages onto the property.  Although several people will drink wine, this isn't a drunkfest.

This is open to anyone, and although we wouldn't decline you if you brought your children, I'd say it is more of an adult event.  Anyone who is new to bagos or this bago can send me a phone number if they wish and we can connect before you get to the winery and when you arrive.  We will find you and welcome you into the fold. 

So...let's figure this out.  Saturday or Sunday?  And should we stay with the winery?  I imagine that Sunday will be a bigger travel day, since it is a long weekend, so maybe we should consider that in the decision-making.

See you all next year!

Maureen

We have an offer from KPGCT (Kate) to host this bago at her home in Hamden, CT.  If we decide on this option, we would stay with our typical pot-luck style where people bring food with them, and in this instance, their beverage of choice to drink or share.  There are advantages to this option, the first being a gracious hostess, but also that it is in the comfort of a home and the noise level would be more conducive to conversations.  Kate lives in a safe neighborhood with sidewalks suitable for a mid-afternoon walk to work off the food we consume.  Kate's home is just a short hop off of 5/15 - the Merritt Parkway/Wilbur Cross Parkway - somewhere near where the road changes its name!  GPS has never failed me in finding it!

So lets think about the options we have: The winery, or Kate's home;  Saturday or Sunday, January 2nd or 3rd.

Maureen

Mark, either way, we would probably think about starting near noon.  This isn't like a play, where you have to be on time, either!  You can walk in in the middle of the show!  And...you can leave before the final curtain drops.  There is plenty of time to get to talk to whomever you wish.  Hope to see you there.

Maureen

Sunday works better for us too! And we are fine either holding it at the winery or Kate's! Both are super convenient -- I think you should get a head count and then decide. If it's too many to handle in Kate's home, then move it to the winery. I'm sure Gouveia will be all decked out for the holidays...

Whatever the verdict, Kate, it was very generous of you to offer up your home as the location!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

DonnaP and MrDrew

Okay.  It looks like this bago is going to be at Kate's house in Hamden, CT on Sunday, January 3rd, starting at noon or so.  No particular ending time.  Kate says you can stay till midnight.  (No, she really didn't say that.)  Pot luck, bring whatever floats your boat.  Bring your own special beverages.  PM me for the address and my phone number if you need or want that, too.  I hope that everyone will be able to make it!  New and old, all are welcome. 

Can't wait to see everyone!

Maureen

I am planning on driving up, more than likely alone, as my wid friends in LI look like they are bowing out.

I won't be able to bring Mac and cheese muffins this time. I know, blasphemous!  To be honest, they are a pain in the butt to make. About half of the Mac and cheese muffins fall apart when I'm trying to take them out of the muffin tins. I was making a batch for myself today to freeze, and I tried a few new techniques to try to get them to come out of the pans whole. Needless to say, it didn't work, and most of them fell apart while taking them out of the muffin tins. I only did 2 tins worth before I gave up and put the remainder of the Mac and cheese in a casserole dish, which I'll split up later.