Holidays and the Damn Elf on the Shelf

Sugarbell

My boys no longer believe in Santa and they haven't for years (I know many many kids their age still do-but that's another topic)... and anyway...the "Elf on a Shelf hoopla" wasn't around when they were little so I never fooled with it.

My 8 year old daughter still believes (or acts like she does) and this is our 3rd year with that creepy Elf that moves around every night.

Except my daughters elf is lazy...that's the story I tell her anyway...Because her Mother is too overwhelmed and my mind is juggling hundreds of things that I keep forgetting to move the Elf after she goes to bed.

She gets up this morning...the elf hadn't moved...it hasn't moved in 3 days now (Epic Mom failure).... "MY ELF IS DEFECTIVE!HE doesn't move!!! Why WHY do I get the Lazy elf" and she's crying this morning.

(her elf in her 2nd grade classroom even moves every night)

Well I moved the damn thing on my way out the door this morning. I have way too many tabs open in my brain.

December needs to be over ASAP.

BA Humbug!

Holidays stress me out.

Always have...even before being widowed, kids, etc.

Luckily the weather is so warm...very few people are in the Christmas spirit this year..So its been a little easier ( I know..I am bizarre)

Except the stupid Elf. Luckily my boys do help move it for me (yeah I have forgotten quite a bit)

Guest TooSoon

The last thing my child needs at the moment is anything that has the potential to ramp up her Christmas crazy.  Its cute and all but the endless refrain of "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" and Christmas themed banter?  Cease and desist! 

Good on you, SB.  I have screwed up the Tooth Fairy enough times to know I could never do the elf (who I also think is creepy). 

Lol!

Love this clip!! Thank you.

They do the elf in all the classrooms...that's how I got forced into this thing. My daughter in Kindergarten was the only kid without a stupid elf: I am in Stepford....of course we do Elf on a Shelf.

And this morning...of course I forgot...Luckily the 13 yr old realized it and moved it before she came down the hall. They used to move the damn elf for 12 days and the kids got a gift each day they found it. (When the hoopla first started...think my oldest was in 3rd)... but since both boys quit believing in Santa by 1st grade...they thought it was ridiculous and never wanted one.

In fact my sarcastic quiet middle son blurted out to the classroom "Your parents move the elf and parents buy you gifts...it has nothing to do with you being good but your parents pocketbook"... (oh yeah I had a few phone calls that year but pissed parents).

I hate this shit. Call me grinch. This is Disney on Crack here in Stepford.

Guest TooSoon

I think we are done with Santa at our house.  To quote M, "Wait, if Santa brought this, then why does it have an amazon shipping label with your name on it?"  I tried to talk my way out of it, but, combined with the totally implausible "special exception" early visit due to our travel plans, it did not work.  She made it to 9.  That's not too bad but a little bittersweet, really.  I might just continue pretending, for myself more than anything. 

I feel like I would love this except it feels so fabricated. My DDs havent asked for it, so I haven't offered. But my very Uber-hausfrau friend who had been inundating my

FB with pictures of infinite varieties of Christmas cookies has also gotten into it. Kind of fun to follow.

I think we are done with Santa at our house.  To quote M, "Wait, if Santa brought this, then why does it have an amazon shipping label with your name on it?"  I tried to talk my way out of it, but, combined with the totally implausible "special exception" early visit due to our travel plans, it did not work.  She made it to 9.  That's not too bad but a little bittersweet, really.  I might just continue pretending, for myself more than anything.

This is S this year too....We are in the pretend stage with Santa...but I can tell she has an idea that is Mom.

My boys are great plAying along with it for her.