New semester...where are our students?

Wheelerswife

I graduate May 20th- BBA- Accounting-turning in my last few assignments this week and finals the 2nd week of May ;D

I started back to school 6 months (Mar. 2010) after DH death and it has taken me a little over 6 years to complete this journey. I am really glad to wrap this up, can't wait to get back my weekends.

I've been job hunting/interviewing but I haven't had any luck yet. My current department at the University is interested in keeping me, I'll have to register with a temp agency and they will bring me in, which is an option.

It will be interesting to see how my career future develops.

I'm done. DONE! Three weeks ago. I would not have believed it. It's been a really long and rough road to here. It still may take some time until our lives improve. But at least now it can.

Congratulations to those also finished their degrees or diplomas, or semester. To those still working hard: Keep on working on it. We are all stronger than we think.

A bit of a different perspective.....I teach at University.  The last grades were submitted yesterday, and so my 4 months off begin.  Normally, I am super happy about it.  This year, I am a bit terrified.  My husband died end of December, so I have been pushing through, pretty much focusing on getting the term done.  Not sure what is going to happen, or come up during this time off.  Kate

Hello Kate, you're not the only. TooSoon and I both teach at universities and there are probably others too. I know TooSoon is very much looking forward to her term being done this week (I'm in the UK and we work on a different timetable).

ADP, are you saying that it's nice to get a break from us students?

Kater, I'm sad to see a new member. Welcome to this site. Going back to school was the only way that helped me mentally out of the grief. It made me focus my mind and helped with the traumatic aspect of my loss. I may still be lost if it wasn't for pushing through. So in a way I understand your anxiety about term end. Being lost in grief sucks. I would have mini goals, even a day ahead, to prevent myself from drowning in depression.

Mrskro, last year I felt like I was homeschooling my child. I found that really stressful. My son has learning difficulties so I was tested to my limit.

ADP, are you saying that it's nice to get a break from us students?

No! We love our students. Its just that the last couple of weeks of term tend to become a battle with exhaustion ... and then the grading arrives.

But TooSoon would be right if she said I had a cheek to be complaining; I'm in the lucky position of teaching very, very little.

Guest TooSoon

A bit of a different perspective.....I teach at University.  The last grades were submitted yesterday, and so my 4 months off begin.  Normally, I am super happy about it.  This year, I am a bit terrified.  My husband died end of December, so I have been pushing through, pretty much focusing on getting the term done.  Not sure what is going to happen, or come up during this time off.  Kate

Hi Kate,  as adp said, I can relate.  My husband died in February, a week after a new semester began.  I took a week off and then went back (?!?!?!) to my 4:4 load and my 200 some students.  It was tough and my performance was not always the most graceful but it kept me going and while I was relieved when that semester ended, I kept my momentum up through a vacation to Paris but when we got back, I fell apart - in a major way.  Looking back, it was inevitable, as I had been in a pretty traumatic, long-term caregiving situation to begin with and when we returned from that vacation, I had to face it all.  My advice is find a project to keep you busy or go on a trip or invite someone to stay with you for a few weeks to keep you company.  It is a lot of time to be alone in your own head.  If you ever want to talk, just pm me.  The academic schedule for a grieving person is a blessing and a curse. 

And yeah, no complaining adp!  But I can't blame you too much as you did teach one of my classes for me for a week this semester and from my students' response papers (which, yes, I am only just now reading), I can tell that your fan club seems to have grown beyond just me.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my last paper of the semester.  And it feels good!  (Don't get me wrong, I didn't do a great job on the paper, but it has been submitted.)  One week of work, a class where I get to sit and listen to the other half of the class give presentations...and then...well, I have a summer practicum.  No major cross-country road trips this summer.  I will probably get a chance to make a quick swing through the northeast, but that's about it.  It seems like it is time to start adulting again.  I know some schools are finishing ahead of me.  How is everyone else doing?

Maureen

Way to go Maureen!  I'm distracting myself from studying for my finals right now.  I've been surprised how emotional I've been with my school coming to end.  New beginnings are exciting and terrifying.  The adulting stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be, lol.

I finished my PhD last year; I was in the early stages of writing my dissertation when my husband died unexpectedly. People told me, "It's good that you have the dissertation to focus on," but I also wondered how I'd ever get it done on time. It was hard to concentrate, plus there was a deadline that couldn't be changed. Writing it certainly gave me a goal, not to mention a lot of work to do in the months that followed, on top of all the paperwork and other things that had to be done in relation to my husband's passing. Now, what to do next is the question. The life I ended up with – surprise – is not the one I expected to have. I've taught in the past but don't know whether I want to teach again. I'm currently doing research and writing. And mulling over the possibilities of what to do next.

Congratulations on finishing your PhD, Suki1.  That, in and of itself, is a major accomplishment.  Some have asked me if I will get mine.  I'm too old to put myself through that!  I will stop in December having collected 2 Bachelor's degrees and one Master's degree.  Where to go...what to do...yes, those questions are there.  I really wish I wasn't put in the position of having to re-create a life...again.

Maureen

• 2 weeks later...

School done, passed my license exam today!!  Im enjoying putting the studying behind me tonight but next week I have to start figuring out the details of my new career path  :-\. Maybe school wasn't so bad after all.