Cleaning out the clutter

Needytoo

My husband was a master collector of junk.  It wasn't just his junk but "heirlooms" that were his parents and grandparents that we had to move from one house to another house.

After his passing I worked at getting rid of the clutter. My kids before his passing also hated the clutter but once I started getting rid of it they were so angry at me and in turn I got angry because they wouldn't help me.

I am really believe that decluttering your life has so many benefits to it but I also realized that my children needed to be ready as well.

For the last two days my sons and I have been working at it.  One more closet to clean out and I can proudly say my house is clutter free.  It feels amazing. 

So cathartic, good for you. Joe's parents are clutter freaks and he liked a lot of their stuff (I dont at all.) I always feared having a house full of their stuff once they died.

Good job getting on top of it!

I am in the process of doing some major de-cluttering myself. It definitely feels very freeing, though I've had my share of hard moments. I've also had some very lovely ones, remembering my husband and our marriage with smiles of happiness instead of tears. It's taken me almost 4 years to get to this point, but I am finally ready. Just feeling so overwhelmed by all the STUFF.

Congrats on your continuing progress, Needytoo!

My husband was a collector but a collector/investor.  All the stuff is worth something....problem is I don't know how much. Among other things, he collected model trains. There are probably  a 100 trains ranging in price from a hundred dollars to a few worth a couple of thousand. I guess it's a good problem to have but it seems overwhelming because I can't just purge I have to research  things before I can get rid of things.

I'm trying to ignore it.

Klim, we went through that with my Dad, he collected 45's and albums and had hundreds of each.  The research involved was overwhelming and I'm sure there were more than a few collectors who got a great deal when my mom was ready to sell her her home and needed to get rid of it all.  None of us had the time or energy to research each record.  We did the best we could and in the end just needed to be rid of all of it so my mom could move.