Jim

Euf

Today, my husband has been dead for 10 years. This seems unbelievable to me.  Ten years is such a long time and it seems that he was just here. Two years seems possible. Maybe three.

But I remember five years because that was some kind of milestone to have survived that long although at five years I was still so broken. At five years, living without him just kept getting harder. It’s hard enough to lose a husband, harder yet to lose your best friend, and the icing on the cake was losing myself.

Yet somewhere, someday, somehow I found a life to grab on to. Little by little it became my life and it turned out to be not so bad and now here I am with a husband that has been dead for 10 years.

I still read here from time to time but rarely say anything. I don’t think there is too much I could say that would be relevant or helpful to anyone here and I don’t want to write something just to hear myself talk. . . . . Except  for today.

Because there is no real point to this post except the need to be somewhere that people may understand why, after ten years, I still miss him.

And why although I have a not so bad life, for today I’d like to imagine what it would have been like if he was still here and I lived in a world that didn’t take so much effort.

Hugs, I'm approaching 7 years too and it some days it feels like just yesterday.  Today I sat and read my journaling from his last days, I read from May through today's date and yep...didn't have enough tissues. 

Our spouses will always be missed, no matter how many years go by.  Lots of cyber hugs!

Guest TooSoon

Thank you for coming back to share with us.  I have missed the wisdom of those widowed before me on this new board.  As I chart new territory, I cling to my 2013ers but love the rare moment when someone further out, with more wisdom and perspective pops in. 

As I watch my child grow into tweendom I am reminded of all the time - 6 years for me from the start of the illness to now.  I manage ok and am happy a lot of the time - I have built a life and look forward to a future again - but good lord it is the trip that never seems to end. 

Thank you for coming back to share.  Much love to you!

It has been almost 8 years for me.  It feels a lot longer, and in some ways, it feels like it was just last month.  Strange how grief can catch us off guard.

Thank you for posting your 10 year mark. 

I always like to hear from others who have been on this journey longer than me.

Thank you for taking the time to post, it means a lot to all of us here.  Thanks.

My Jim has only been gone 2 years... well, 2 years, 4 months, and 20 days. I can't imagine being 5 years out, much less 10... I'm glad you're still here, to give me something to fix on. Hugs to you.

Thanks for posting.  I passed 7 years.  Time has made no sense since he died.  Sometimes  I  feel  knocked over. But I am mostly happy. I am at peace with my past and present . I have some regrets about how I handled myself a few years ago but I am letting it go .i am hopeful forvthe future. I can't really ask for more.