Podcasts

Bunny

After my husband died, I discovered podcasts. They helped to fill the silence of my empty home and required much less attention span/ brain power than reading. The only reading I could really manage those first couple years was the ywbb and then widda. Listening to music was often too painful. But listening to strangers hold conversations that I did not have to participate in was a relief, comforting. And -much of the time- sooooo much easier to manage than socializing with actual people. I chose things that made me laugh or cry. I listened to topics I could relate to most personally, and things far removed from my life or interests- just depended on what I needed that day, that hour, that minute.

My husband was such a large presence- electric- when he walked into a room you knew it (this could be both good and bad :P), and he was very social- there were always people around our home, mostly men- so I found myself more drawn to the voices of the male hosts in the beginning. His absence was so incredibly loud- they helped to drown out that horrible, noisy, silence. Over the years, my tastes and needs have changed, and I don't listen to them nearly as much now. But I highly recommend seeking them out to anyone feeling lonely but not in the mood for actual human interaction.

I just discoverer a new one today. It's called 'terrible, thanks for asking' and is hosted by a young widow, though widowhood is not always the subject. I've only listened to a few and it's a fairly new one so not many episodes, but so far I'm really liking it. https://www.apmpodcasts.org/ttfa/

If anyone is interested, I can recommend others- and I welcome people adding any favorites of their own. The winter months are hard on me, I tend to go inward and isolate, so I'm noticing an uptick in my listening as of late. Can't wait until it's time to garden again...

Peace to all in this New Year

Well, I much like the title without even hearing the program,  so I'm game to hear what's on it! At a touch over 2.5 years out from my dh's death, I still can't read anything much beyond gardening catalogs and step-by-step diy manuals (5 steps or less or my brain checks out stll). And while I can paste on an attentive face in public, it's still more draining than energizing, even when I seek it out.

Peace also to you!  :)

I've read her book, It's ok to laugh, crying is ok too.  I loved it.

I used to be a huge reader but since DH died I haven't been able to, I hadn't put much thought into it, but I think you hit the nail on the head, the silence in my house, reading seems to amplify it.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to go listen now  :)

hunh! You may very well have hit the nail on the head! I used to be an avid reader - read War and Peace  last year.  I  was 20 pages from the end of some spy paperback when I went to bed, 2 hours before The Phone Call.

That paperback is still in my nightstand, untouched since that night.

I just can't get back into reading, or anything else for that matter.

I have a stack of books I really wanna read, but just can't manage to get very far- not even with the collections of short stories! Though, widowhood has renewed my love of poetry. For now, I'm at least able to read magazines again. i feel I need to start pushing myself to re-learn some concentration skills, but passive entertainment is just easier. And yeah- being around people, even when I want to, tires me out. But then, I've always been a social introvert.

I love Snap Judgement!

I like the story telling shows: The Moth and Risk (warning: that one is VERY racy!)

Savage Lovecast and Dear Sugar give interesting relationship advice.

Longest Shortest time is about parenthood but is also entertaining for this childless one.

Love + Radio, This American Life, The Memory Palace (lovely history vignettes), Modern Love, reckoning, The Truth, Strangers, mortified podcast (people reading their childhood journals), judge john hodgman (fun and silly 'court' cases), death, sex, and money...I could go on and on...

• 2 weeks later...

Same here! Can't read anymore, don't like socializing anymore, and podcasts are hugely important now.

I listen mostly to

Love + Radio

Death Sex and Money

Strangers

This American Life

Terrible thanks for asking

Heavy weight (fairly new , amazing, try it!)

The story of my death ( From a funeral director )

I recently discovered Open to Hope, about gief and grieving, but it is not my cup of tea. I mention it because someone here might be interested.

• 6 months later...

Just found this thread.  I stopped reading as well.  I am still not really back at it yet. I was an avid reader too.....

Podcasts have been such a big part of things for me as well.  Most of mine have been philosophical in composition.  Some of it have really challenged me!  I have grown so much from it!

I look forward to listening to the ones you all have recommended.  Thanks!

I can't believe I've neglected to mention the Best Podcast Of Them All! Listened to a few episodes this morning- they are short and sweet and many times bring me to the happiest of tears. It's called Kind World and it's simply about the kindnesses of everyday ordinary people. This podcast reminds me of just how much good exists in the world when I sometimes find myself in despair of myself or the human race. It never fails to make me feel hopeful again.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I look forward to checking out some of these podcasts.

Also wanted to say that being able to read comes back. For me the inability to read was an inability to focus and it took a good three years for me to gain  focus enough to follow a storyline. I did, however, do a lot of writing much earlier on...writing that was outside of my grief and distracting was my wheelhouse. I finished a novel between 12 months and three years.

I think my brain got fried from grief. Healing due to amount of time past the actual event of loss was the cure.