Sister-in-law madness 4.0

Guest TooSoon

Guest TooSoon

So, I just have to relay this story not because it upset me but because it just struck me as so KRAZY at this stage of the game, four years since Scott died. 

My sister-in-law is a nut job.  She's mean and petty and pretty insane.  Oh, and she can't stand me, which is fine by me.  Scott, as some might remember and as some know because they've been in my garage, was a sculptor of some very large and very scary ceramic sculptures.  One of them he left to his sister.  It is a "baby" sewn up in its' mother's skin (hard to describe but a bit disarming to put it mildly).  It was made with her in mind so he left it to her when he died.  I thought once I had a friend transport it to her house more than three years ago, we were done but no....

I come to learn that she is opening a consignment store in town and that the "logo" she put on her business cards and on the light up sign outside of the store features the sculpture.  a) possibly not the best branding/marketing image and b) Scott would not have approved.  Not in the least.  This is a smallish city and he and his work were fairly well known so people are going to recognize it, which I find weird.  Also, she has named said consignment store, "Resurrected,"  which is guess is some sort of reference to him but how it relates to used clothing escapes me. 

She then, without my permission, handed my daughter a dozen or so business cards and told her to hand them out at school (!?), saying that she would pay her if anyone came in and said they heard about "Resurrected" from my daughter.  Age 10.  At school.  WTF?

Anyway, it is all just a wee bit odd.  Funny, I thought we were all moving forward, that we'd made our peace.  But I guess not.  Attention seeker that she is, she felt the need to "resurrect" him to draw attention to her latest scheme.  People are weird. 

Sigh.  SIL is a piece of work.  I'm kind of glad he didn't leave her some of the sculptures made in his own image. 

You have been tolerant of SIL.  I imagine having her back in town and closer to your daughter is leaving you more unsettled.  Can't the go back to where she was living?? 

I wish I had some advice.

Hugs,

Maureen

Guest TooSoon

I kind of thought it was funny in an effed up kind of way.  I just wish she could have left M out of it.  And "Resurrected"?  Really? 

Definitely dark/sick funny.  There should be a widows' comedy.  Some of this shit....  Just cannot make it up.  Maybe only widow(er)s could see it though - everyone else would just think we're sick and twisted. 

Did he leave her the work, or the work and the copyright? Unless he specifically assigned copyright to her as part of the bequest, the copyright belongs to you. She cannot reproduce it, and she definitely cannot use the image for commercial purposes - no way does this constitute fair use.

Works created on or after January 1, 1978: A work that is created (fixed in tangible form for the first time) on or after January 1, 1978, is automatically protected from the moment of its creation and is given a term of copyright protection enduring for the lifetime of the artist plus an additional 70 years after the artist's death.

Guest TooSoon

Andy pointed out that I should have mentioned that this is the same sister-in-law who had a portrait bust of my husband tattooed on her upper rear thigh with a blank banner below it where she intended to later have his death date tattooed.  AND felt the need to show him and a living room full of guests one afternoon by pulling her pants down in front of him and all of us about 3 weeks before he died.  No lie.  I have photographic proof; Scott's expression as she proudly showed it to him is priceless.  Thought you all might appreciate the addendum.  As I said, people are weird. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TooSoon

The great thing about SILs is that you can completely eliminate them from your life if you so choose.

Believe me, I've tried.  She likes to remind me that I can do whatever I want but "M (my daughter) is blood." Lovely. 

The great thing about SILs is that you can completely eliminate them from your life if you so choose.

Believe me, I've tried.  She likes to remind me that I can do whatever I want but "M (my daughter) is blood." Lovely.

Meh. This no longer means much to me anymore. Being blood cannot be the sole reason for maintaining a relationship.

I have not spoken to my brother or one of my sisters in over 2 years. My sister and I had a falling out but my brother, well I just realized that we really don't have anything in common. I tried sustaining the relationship at various points but I got tired of being the only one doing the work. So when he finally called me after over a year I realized blood just wasn't enough anymore.

Guest TooSoon

Meh. This no longer means much to me anymore. Being blood cannot be the sole reason for maintaining a relationship.

I have not spoken to my brother or one of my sisters in over 2 years. My sister and I had a falling out but my brother, well I just realized that we really don't have anything in common. I tried sustaining the relationship at various points but I got tired of being the only one doing the work. So when he finally called me after over a year I realized blood just wasn't enough anymore.

Oh no, she says it to reinforce that my daughter is her blood relative and I am not, in order to stake her claim to M.  She hasn't said it in a while but for ages that was her standard line.  Ew.  Hopefully we'll move soon and she'll no longer be an issue.