coloring

Lisa

LH had taken up Zen doodling before he passed as a method of stress relief. He could zone out for hours and get out of his own head. I have considered it, but it is too "him" to be an escape for me yet.

Like LisaPop, I love to do puzzles.  However, for it to really help me and for me to enjoy it, I have to "connect" to the puzzle, if that makes sense, and no more than 750-1000 pieces.  Working a puzzle with too many pieces requires more patience than I have these days. 

I have also tried coloring mandalas.  I love to color with my kids and my therapist suggested trying the mandalas.  I find that I spend too much time over-analyzing what I should create or what color to use with the mandala.  I think that if I just find a coloring book I would like (maybe Disney-themed), I would probably get more enjoyment out of the coloring.

A few years ago, my son had brain surgery. I took a coloring book (similar to the mandalas) and colored pencils with me. I concentrated on coloring to get me through the excruciating wait during his surgery. It truly did help, especially when the surgery took longer than expected.

I've always loved to color and I love the smell of crayons lol.  This must really be taking off as a thing because I noticed in Michaels they have very intricate coloring books specifically for adults. I'd like to try it I think but I was kinda fussy about my crayons when I was little..had to be arranged just so, kept sharpened just so and I hate it when people peel the paper off of my crayons ha ha.  Seriously though I think I'm gonna do it.  I've been crocheting some and that has been helpful but a girl only needs so many afghans.

I have done Tole Art, it is like coloring but you use paint.  I really enjoy that.  Yesterday I went and did String Art.  I had no idea that that is big again.  I took up pottery and love it. Coloring sounds great, I will give it a try. 

I did this over a decade ago (pre-widowhood) when I was having a very bad bout with anxiety. It really works. It is just the right level of mental engagement. Not at all taxing, but just enough thought

(what shade of blue should I chose?) to stop that hamster wheel of worries from turning in your brain. Nice reprieve.

I haven't turned to this in widowhood.  Felt the strong need to sit and examine my greif. But maybe it is time now to track down a 64 color Crayola box.

I did this over a decade ago (pre-widowhood) when I was having a very bad bout with anxiety. It really works. It is just the right level of mental engagement. Not at all taxing, but just enough thought

(what shade of blue should I chose?) to stop that hamster wheel of worries from turning in your brain. Nice reprieve.

I haven't turned to this in widowhood.  Felt the strong need to sit and examine my greif. But maybe it is time now to track down a 64 color Crayola box.

I was glad to read this, as I hadn't really thought about it as helping with anxiety. I am finding now (at 9.5 months) that some of my old traits, such as anxiety, are coming back as the grief wanes a bit.

I think I'm gonna invest in some crayons and coloring books. I like the idea of this...brings ya back to a time in life when things were simpler.

Now, I just need someone to serve me cookies and juice!

Lol. Only not really kidding, especially since I discovered birthday cake frosting Chips Ahoy...

Baylee