Joe Biden

SoVerySad

This is not a political post. I saw VP Biden talking about his decision regarding running for POTUS. I was struck by how sad and weary he looks. I am so sorry he has had to endure another devastating loss in his life. He has spoken so beautifully in the past about grieving. As I understand it, before his son died, he asked him to run for POTUS. I can see that is weighing on him so heavily. I'm sure he feels pulled to make that wish of his son's come true, yet he also has the knowledge of how deeply grief affects you and your stamina, strength of spirit, etc..

For almost 2 years after my husband died, I tried desperately to make one the goals he had become a reality, even though it hadn't been a shared goal. I felt like I wanted to reach it for him since he was robbed of the opportunity to do so. It took a big toll on me physically, emotionally, and financially. I came to have to accept that I had to let it go and do what was in the best interest for our children and me now. I do believe it was the right decision to make, yet it still hurts my heart to have not been able to complete his goal.

I'm posting today to share with anyone else navigating through this new world you've been thrown into that it really is okay to make choices based upon what works for you in your new reality. I wish I hadn't spent so much time and resources trying to focus on achieving my husband's goal. In retrospect, I think he'd understand that I ultimately had to let go of his dream if I'm going to be able to establish my own dreams for our children and myself in this new life.

I like Joe Biden and voted for him in a primary when he ran many years ago.  I think he is trying to gently break it to people that the grief has sapped out of him the determination needed to run for.  I liked him then and I like him now.  He was so eloquent in expressing himself when his son died.  He is so sincere in expressing his feelings.  I am glad he has the wisdom to know he doesn't have it in him. 

I think many of us can get some kind of inspiration or support from how Biden is so open and honest in showing what grief does to a person.

I really, really like him. I thought he was so full of himself back during the Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas hearings. Not sure what that was about, but I have changed my impression of him completely. When I heard him speak to military families about the loss of his wife and baby daughter, I was forever changed in how I looked at him. He is genuine. He was here in Iowa a few years ago, hugging people in the crowd right and left, big goofy smile on his face. He made everyone in the crowd feel good to be there. Go Joe!!

Guest TooSoon

I agree.  I do think one must come - after so much loss and a life of such achievement paired with adversity (and if you're not from my corner of the world you might not know him like I do but he's been sort of a fixture in eastern PA/DE (obviously) politics since I can remember) where it is time to close up shop.  Utmost respect.

I saw this earlier this morning; a friend sent it to me.  At around 8 minutes Stephen Colbert talks about losing his father and how it impacted his life. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stephen-colbert-for-real/

I just wanted to post this link to a clip from the Vice President on the The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.  As TS mentioned, they are both quite familiar with life shattering grief - Biden has buried two children and a wife, and Colbert lost two brothers and his father in a plane crash when he was just a child. 

I know it's a rather odd thing to say, but I really love and appreciate the way Vice President Biden talks so openly and honestly about grief.  He's such a good, genuine man....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/joe-biden-stephen-colbert_55f221ace4b002d5c078e29f

I read about it in the paper this morning.  I think if more people were as open and genuine about their grief as Joe Biden, it would be a plus for society.  As it is, I don't think in this country we "do" grief and death very well and as a result, it feels all the more lonely when we experience it.

I was at a party last night and people were saying he was just playing possum; it was all I could do to keep my widowed mouth shut.  Maybe?  I guess?  But somehow I think not.  I hope not. 

Such a sad commentary on the state of cynicism in this country that a person's first instinct is to believe he is trying to capitalize on the death of his son. Blech! Seriously, it is nauseating. VP Biden has a long history of discussing grief and trying to comfort others. I appreciate how open he is in discussing not only the issue of grief, but how unapologetic he is in openly displaying his love for his family.

I was struck by the dynamics of the interview in how it reflected the effects of loss upon parents, children, and spouses, particularly by Colbert talking about "raising his mother" after his father and brothers were killed since she was so "shattered" for a while. I suspect someday my children will have a similar story to tell as I know I have leaned on them as much as they've leaned on me. I also could really relate to VP Biden talking about how he finds himself drawn to others who have experienced deep loss. I feel that way about the opportunity to share this community with all of you here. I appreciate how you find it within your shattered selves to reach out in understanding to myself and others.

You can see the full interview here...

http://news.yahoo.com/watch-stephen-colbert-full-interview-joe-biden-show-141501516.html

SVS, that line from Stephen Colbert about "raising his mother" as she was "non compos mentis" for a few years will stick with me and ring in my ears for a long, long time.  So close to home. 

I live in Delaware, and it's a small state... I know people who remember Joe coming to their schools when they were little kids. Others who knew his first wife, or know his current wife. I also know someone related to Beau's wife. Not all of my friends agree with him politically, but I don't know anyone who has a bad opinion of him personally.

I watched Beau's funeral on CNN, and it was heartbreaking. What I saw was a lot of broken hearts. And it's something that you don't fake just to get on the late show. It amazes me that people are so cynical.

My only encounter with Joe was at the Italian Festival in 2008. Some guy yelled out, "Hey Joe!" Joe walked over to the guy and laughed saying, "Only in Delaware, can you yell 'hey Joe' and the Senator comes running." Only in Delaware indeed. I wish  was the one who yelled "hey Joe" - haha.

I'm totally projecting here, but I think Jill Biden is an unsung hero here.  She seems like the perfect spouse for a widower and mother of motherless children.  It seems unlike that she is the type of second wife who might lose her shit if there are too many pictures of the first wife.  She seems like someone who would be sensitive to her husband's remembrance of the anniversary of the death, of birthdays, and her husband's very public discussions of grief.  I imagine she feels if these conversations help people it's a good thing.

No shrinking violet, Ms. Biden is a career woman in her own right: a university president and volunteer for veterans' rights and breast health.  She and Mr. Biden added a daughter of their own to his family of two boys who were shattered when Mr. Biden's first wife and daughter were killed by what is largely thought to be a drunk driver.  The first Mrs. Biden just set out on an ordinary errand with her three children safely (she must have thought) in the family station wagon with the Christmas tree tied on top.  Jill was the replacement mother for the two surviving children, and it would seem she did her job well.  When Beau died, there's no doubt she grieve him as her own child.

Wherever the next few years take the Bidens, I wish them well.  That anyone would think their grief is for show?.well that only projects their own character.

I adore him...When Obama picked him as his running mate in 2008...I knew very little about him. Didn't know he was a widow...but loved what he stood for politically and he always drew me in when he spoke. I developed a secret crush and people thought I was crazy. lol

After learning more and watching him over the past 8 years...he's a class act. He's brilliant yet humble...The man is deep...And I agree his wife Jill is just as amazing as him.

I'm a Canadian and I've always liked Biden but sorry, I have a problem with this interview. He stated his son never wanted anyone to know he got a Bronze Star (1:44 on the video) and he just told America. WTF was that?  Why did he dishonour his sons wishes? Politics is a dirty f'en game.

Just sayin, please don't be swayed by the heart strings when it comes to voting!

Shall we talk about Harper?! 

This is a discussion of about man who is not currently running for office and who has experienced loss of a magnitude I almost cannot compute who also happens to the the VPOTUS. 

BH2, Joe Biden is currently our Vice President. He is not currently running to be President as often our Vice Presidents do, however he has been considering running as he is being encouraged to do so. He's been honest that he isn't sure he has the full heart to commit to running so soon after his son's death.

It has been knowledge long before that interview with Colbert that his son was a bronze star recipient. I have known it for some time. I am not sure exactly who shared the information originally, but Biden wasn't revealing any secrets after his son's death. I think his point was just to share that he felt Beau was always humble and more concerned about others than himself and used that as an example. Biden's other son shared the same sentiment about his brother at his memorial service. It appears his family deeply misses him.

TS, yes, those words by Colbert have stuck with me as well. I think the important takeaway is that he understood and accepted his mother's grief. I know they remained very close throughout his life. Here is the transcript of the tribute he gave on his show after her death...

http://www.third-beat.com/2013/06/19/transcript-stephen-colberts-tribute-to-his-mother/

Beautiful!

Being a Canadian, I still knew that he was VP. I have admired him,  I was just taken aback with the video clip I watched about him telling about his sons medal and I didn't realize it was already public. I thought he was running for President, pardon my ignorance. 

Really 'Google is your friend'. A tad much, I know all about Google and the Internet thanks.