But, Today and Forever

I shall remember

That once we were One,

And I send you my Love!

3329cdc7168772becb0c43e9752e14b8.jpg

À tout jamais!

emoticon-0152-heart.png

(((((D)))))

As only you can do, you found such meaningful words.

Thinking of you today, as we share an anniversary date that we never wanted to have so soon in our lives.

Take care of yourself,

Ginger

Thank You to everyone who has so kindly responded to my post! I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness in reaching out and acknowledging my sentiments on this anniversary! As a 'veteran', who is much further out than the majority here, I've grown increasingly ambivalent about expressing my feelings - here or anywhere else. The world expects one to be totally "over it" – impervious to the lingering memories.

Yes, I have created a new life for myself and in the process have emerged with an altered sense of identity. My life has in fact become "much easier" from a practical and outside perspective, after many years of extremely intense caregiving, which taxed my physical, mental and emotional capacity to the outer limits - although I would do it again without hesitation!

As a childless woman, this new life has granted me total freedom to forge my own path and to boldly experiment along the way if I so choose, doing things I would never have considered before. It has made me more daring in certain aspects and defiantly non-conformant to society's expectations and doctrines. My current life, and the many turns it has taken, resembles NOTHING of its former structure. I have made some impressive strides in unexpected areas, but also have stumbled many times along the way and made mistakes.

While I want to live in the present and be cognizant and grateful for my new blessings, my mind is inexorably drawn back by a magnetic force, each time the anniversaries approach. My subconscious psyche travels back in time and retrieves memories – some quite painful, others that make me wistfully sigh.

"The memory presents to us not what we choose, but what it pleases."

~~ Michel De Montaigne

Yes, Monsieur Montaigne, I can attest to the veracity of that statement!

So, even after all these years I am still affected by anniversaries, most significantly by the one of his death. It descends upon me like a gathering storm, which I cannot outrun. BUT, I also want to give recognition to him so that he is NOT forgotten, by at least ONE!

In my daily life I hardly ever invoke my husband's name or even refer to his erstwhile existence, since he is now irrelevant to the world and the people surrounding me. It often feels as if I live a dual existence – one visible, "shiny and new"  -  the other hidden deep inside, obscured from the world and those in my circle.

We all know that our earthly sojourn is temporary and fleeting from the universal perspective, but the lives of the departed were cut off even more prematurely by Life's powerful and merciless executioner at his own whim. Those who are no longer here also had hopes and dreams, which never came to fruition, and it saddens my heart. Life is a gamble and thus inherently unfair. Therefore, I feel that it is important to "Never Forget" and remember those who have lost at "the game of life".

_1432658-WTCmuseum-7_14-1500.jpg?format=750w

"No day shall erase you from the memory of time."

Memorial Wall inscription in the 911 museum in NYC.

That sentiment is very poignant and seems quite appropriate, irrespective of the precipitating circumstances of each loss.

The departed loved ones may no longer be the "sine qua non" for our daily survival, nor constantly preoccupy our mind as in the early days, but they can still hold a special place in our heart. Moving forward, yet still remembering and missing HIM, is not mutually exclusive - at least not for THIS woman!

Again, I wish to express my gratitude to those who listened to my sentiments documented here, and took the time to acknowledge my outpouring with kindness and generosity of the heart! Most of the world cannot even remotely relate to my feelings at this point, and it makes for great inner loneliness and a sense of isolation.

dein_weg.jpg

May your own path be filled with light

and take you to a bright and happy future!

I bid you Peace.

ATJemoticon-0152-heart.png

Sundry anniversary reflections of a former caregiver and ‘SOS’

Blessings to you, ATJ. The 8th anniversary (WTF!) is coming up in less than a month, and I can relate to so much of what you've said. I appreciate your thoughts - they put into words what I'm sometimes at a loss to say. Thank you!

ATJ,

Your beautiful posts have been a source of inspiration for countless members, both on the old YWBB and now here. And since I have long been among them, I am very grateful to you.

I wish you peace as you begin another year.

--- WifeLess

In my daily life I hardly ever invoke my husband's name or even refer to his erstwhile existence, since he is now irrelevant to the world and the people surrounding me. It often feels as if I live a dual existence – one visible, "shiny and new"  -  the other hidden deep inside, obscured from the world and those in my circle.

I can certainly relate to this duality

168202348.jpg

One of the greatest gifts is a listening ear and an understanding heart.

@marjoe and @WifeLess –

Your very kind words touched my heart. Thank you so much for that! It is especially meaningful coming from two other ‘veterans’ who have walked this rough and bumpy road for a long time as well, even as our individual experiences are unique.

@canadiangirl and @Mizpah

Thank you for reaching out and 'hearing me’! - 

It brings comfort and encouragement to know that one's feelings STILL resonate with some former travel companions and even those whose sad journey began years after mine.

imagenes-romanticas-imagenes-tiernas-45.jpg

Wishing all of you Peace and many Blessings!

ATJ

:)

Sending you warm hugs, (((((D))))). 

Your eloquent posts always speak to my heart, especially today on the eve of the 9th year of the passing of my dear husband, Robert. 

The heart always remembers and will forever love.

world-peace-day-2.jpg

Thank you for your gorgeous and touching post.  May peaceful memories of your beloved surround you in the "days, weeks, months, and years" ahead.

Warmly,

Cathy

((Cathy,))

As your 9th anniversary approaches and your mind travels back in time,

my heart reaches out to yours and wishes you Peace and Tranquility.

ATJ emoticon-0152-heart.png

Your warm response to my post is deeply appreciated. Thank you so much for that! You, too, have been a fellow wanderer on this long and winding road, and it makes it less lonely knowing that those who were present in the beginning and witnessed the evolving life stories do still remember.

CDboRHrUgAAElD_.jpg:large

@piecesofapart -

Thank you for your supportive words to a total stranger! I am glad that in a small way my post has brought you some solace as well. It is rewarding to know that we can all help each other, sometimes even unbeknownst to us, by simply sharing our feelings.

455d540929ae280531d8858d340839a1.jpg

Sending you a basket full of Blessings and Courage for your continued journey.

ATJ

:)

@Jess –

How very thoughtful and kind of you to reach out to me with such warm and uplifting words, which make me feel welcome in this community, despite my "veteran status". Thank you for that!

Malm-Gentle%20Breeze-36x24.jpg

I am so glad that You have found renewed happiness

in the mysterious and wondrous "Meadow of Life".

Many Blessings to You!

ATJ :)