Minimalist 1 item a day challenge!

MissingSquish

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, we're starting this tomorrow at our house.  We're seriously thinking, planning, a whole lifestyle change that will necessitate getting rid of A LOT of stuff.  I'm catching up on laundry from our vacation today... Tomorrow will be the day!!

Okay, finally got going on this.  Today I went through the tub of things that belonged to S that I had saved for his son.  He's graduating from high school this May, so it's a good time to give them to him.  That also meant finding the book that everyone signed at the funeral and the gigantic stack of cards everyone sent.  What in the heck do you do with that???  They were important to keep early on, but now... Not so much.  I'm never going to look at them again.

Anyway, I found some things I could toss.  And went through a tub with old jackets and snow boots that aren't good enough to donate, so into the burn barrel with them!

Today I purged old shoes. I still had shoes from high school. I kid you not! All in toll 20 pairs got donated! It was one of those thigs I have meant to do but just kept putting off.

Tomorrow it is revisiting old tubs of DH's miscellaneous items. He isn't going to want these any time soon so it is time to let go. Then working on basement stuff. Why I hang on to so much junk is beyond me. Who needs 10 totes of old Christmas and Halloween stuff?

Cyndi

Tomorrow I am ordering a dumpster to have delivered on Friday. It will be seven days of purging in preparation of a move I hope to be making in a couple months. For now, I just need to breathe without all of this clutter!

Guest TooSoon

Oh!  That's not bad at all.  I will get myself a dumpster for my upcoming birthday -- a real purge splurge!

Yesterday I finally moved a box of donation goods from my kitchen to the donation center.  Today I replaced a light fixture with the new one that has been sitting in my back hall stairs since November. The old one is at the front door to go out with me in the morning to the recycle bin.

I went through a bin of old VHS tapes. A bunch are video footage from my kids' childhood years, so I can't part with them. I am considering transferring to DVD though. There are just so many of them. I DID toss several VHS tapes of televised NY Giants games from years ago. Mick had taped them, although he never once went back and re-watched those old games.

Guest Munsen

Today I was sorting through the storage cabinet in my office. Tossing everything and anything that was no longer needed since I sold the company.

Next week, my son comes to get the cabinet and anything else business related. Including boxes of old files needing to be shredded.

Today I opened a box that had a bunch of old comic books that belonged to S... Put those in the container for his son.  Dug 4 formal dresses out of the closet and listed them for sale on the local Buy, Sell, and Trade site... 2 of which were my wedding dresses #2 and 3.  Yeah, 3 weddings so far.  There will not be a 4th.  And people wonder why I chuckle at the term "Chapter 2".  I think I'm on chapter 37.  :-\

The hubs listed 2 trombones and a guitar... And already sold the guitar.  He also pitched several things in the burn barrel, and sorted out some other stuff to go to the St Vincent's.  We're on a roll now!!

I got sidetracked with working on this, but am trying to get back on track so I need to catch up.  Today I sold my DH's camera (big sigh!), and then I started in on my spare bedroom, gathering a bag of goods to go to consignment and another for donation.  I also tossed two trash bags of stuff that wasn't fit for either pile. 

This purging/decluttering has been a real trip down memory lane.  I had a good chuckle over an old dance costume I found in the bottom of a storage chest, leftover from my ballroom/disco dancing days back in the 80s.  ::)  While I would love to get back into ballroom dancing one of these days, I think my days of wearing a sequin trimmed leotard with a gold fringe skirt are long over (not to mention there's no way it would go over my aging, ample ass, lol).  Next I need to get the nerve to sell/get rid of my unicycle that is collecting dust in the basement.  I remember saving my allowance to buy that thing when I was in 6th grade (I'm 56 now!) against my mother's rather loud objections.  I have carted it around with me all these years for some unknown reason.  Silly me actually thought about trying to ride it not too long ago...but then I decided if I was going to do that, I'd better do it in the hospital parking lot to save time and an ambulance ride  ;D

Jumping back on this again today... I just brought down a container from the attic that's labeled "living room stuff".  That means it's all the junk that was lying around after the important things were carefully wrapped and packed before our move 4 years ago.  This should be fun... and should result in a very large trash/burn pile!

Guest TooSoon

Technically, these things are still in the house because it is sleeting (@#$%^) outside but: a laundry basket full of clothing from my closet, another pile of children's books that are so hard for me to get rid of and a big bag of still more Christmas stuff (where does it all come from?  I certainly didnt buy any of it!) not to mention a much more liberal definition of what constitutes trash.  Making progress (to what end I have no clue).

But can we talk about hangers?  Why are there so many hangers now (oh wait, I just answered my own question). I don't want to throw them away but where does one put them?  The last thing I need is existential angst over hangers.  But they get all tangled up and if I get rid of them and then need one.  Argh! 

I tossed a bunch of photographs today.  I used to always get duplicate copies so I could share them with family.  Looks like I never shared them!  Also tossed a bunch of Christmas cards we received somewhere around 2002.  What do I do with a plate with a picture of my old childhood church on it, made for the Centennial?  I'll never hang it up anywhere.  And a quilted wall hanging that the members of my old church made when S and I got married, with all the members signatures on it.  I'll never hang it again!

I did find a quilted wall hanging that I'm washing and putting in the garage sale pile.  A wooden bowl that a co-worker lovingly made for me when I left the school district (I forgot I had that... THAT I'm keeping.  It's beautiful!).  Lots of newspapers that must have had something important in them at some point, but looking through them, I couldn't figure out what, so those are in the burn pile.  A few other things that can go in the garage sale pile. 

I emptied a very large plastic storage bin today.  Only 7 or 8 more!

Who needs 10 totes of old Christmas and Halloween stuff?

Cyndi

ahem... did you say Christmas and HALLOWEEN? Anything fun in there? Oh, wait I am suppose to downsize... that's it... not gain stuff... OK

Well I did purge the girls clothes and some kitchen items that got passed on to other people or donated to Goodwill. I also emptied the shredder (finally), packed up items that my mom left here, got rid of cat (hopefully), and donated 1 bags worth of my clothes, reorganized my closet and dresser.  All in all it was about 2 carloads of stuff. Oh yeah daughter and I got the laundry room cleaned out. We even moved out the washer and dryer to clean behind them. Plus we vacuumed out the dryer vent tube and the back of the dryer itself. Of course this took me about 10 days to accomplish.

So no seriously... about that Halloween and Christmas stuff.....