Minimalist 1 item a day challenge!

MissingSquish

I brought another storage tub down from the attic today.  This one is full of framed photos... School pics of the boys.  A lot of those sports collage things with a team pic and an individual pic... There's a lot of them, since my son 4-sported it all through middle and high school.  My stepson has quite a few too, though his are mostly from grade school summer sports.  I'm pulling them all out of the frames, since I doubt either boy is going to hang them on the wall (makes everything lighter too!) and sorting them out for each boy.  Then they are both going to be gifted with them.

Also a couple of personalized things that were made for the family... Hate to do it, but those are just going to have to get tossed.  And 3 small photo albums of S and my wedding, full of candid photos that people took at the wedding and reception.  What to do with those???

I'm making a stack of all the leftover frames.  Those are going either in the garage sale pile or the donate pile.  I've got 11 so far, but I'm not very far into the storage tub.

I need a drink... This would be a lot more fun then.  :-\

The worst part?  I think there's at least 2 more bins upstairs labeled "framed photos".  Ack!!  Making progress, though.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm making a stack of all the leftover frames.  Those are going either in the garage sale pile or the donate pile.  I've got 11 so far, but I'm not very far into the storage tub.

The worst part?  I think there's at least 2 more bins upstairs labeled "framed photos".  Ack!!  Making progress, though.

That's a drinking game I could get into. But Mokie I think you would be totally sloshed if you did all the frames today: clean on picture frame, have a drink.... next picture frame, have a drink....

Maybe I will do this while cleaning the office... hmmm... better get a babysitter first.

That's a drinking game I could get into. But Mokie I think you would be totally sloshed if you did all the frames today: clean on picture frame, have a drink.... next picture frame, have a drink....

Maybe I will do this while cleaning the office... hmmm... better get a babysitter first.

I like the way you think!  I finished the ones in today's bin (sans drink) but I may remember this for tomorrow.  Anyone want to join my frame-emptying party?  :o

I guess I'm not feeling that yet. :(

... anything that belonged to your loved one is now yours anyway, so purge away!

But I have plenty of my own junk-ola, so out goes my odd n ends yarn stash. Craft material is pernicious.

mix

I can't believe the amount of stuff we're getting rid of in our attic.  All this junk we thought was worth saving at one point.  It's amazing to see what kind of motivation you can muster up when you're thinking about having very very little storage space in the future!

I think one of the hardest parts of having an uncluttered house is my family and in-laws. The are ALL clutter addicts too! It never fails that I get things relatively cleaned up where I actually have empty spots and family comes over with boxes/bags of "Oh I thought you could use/like/need this so I brought it over for you..." AAAGGGHHH!!! It's like my lack of clutter  makes THEM uncomfortable so they grab some of their junk and bring it to me. And where do this put their "gifts"? IN THE CLEANED SPOTS I JUST MADE.

I just got the top of my microwave cleaned to where my daughter says, "Hey mom what is that thing? Oh its a cleaned microwave! I never knew it was black..." GRRRR! Two days later MIL brings a bunch of paper crap that I have NO INTEREST IN and she puts it on top of the microwave! Silly me I didn't remove the crap right away and it multiplied or breed with other mystery crap and now I can't see my mircowave again.

Two more tubs of framed photos and keepsakes taken care of!!  One pile for my boy, one pile for my stepson, a very large pile of frames, a little trash, and a small pile of things I don't know what to do with:  a program from when I got to see the 1984 Olympic gymnastics team perform in KC (Bart Conner!!), a magazine from when John Denver died, one from when John Kennedy Jr died, and a book of poems and songs I used to write down when I thought the words were so romantic.

OMG!!  I think I am FINALLY finished sorting through old photographs!!  I went upstairs to get the box of things I packed up when I quit teaching, and instead found another dang container of pictures.  Well, that's finally done.  The other boxes will have to wait, as I have Bunco at my house next week, and it'll take me the next 5 days to get this house back in order.  I think I am going to make a "here's things my son will want later" box, and put a few things in there.  I have quite a lot I'm giving to him, but I don't think he'll want all of it.  It's okay to have one "later" box, right?

Nothing of substance today, but I did clean all the clutter off the kitchen countertops and island, and tossed a bunch of junk mail that came while we were gone for 6 weeks.  So I guess that counts.  And we went through the shop, and labeled a bunch of things my son wants, that we'll take to him in a month.  The Redneck is scanning photo albums to DVDs, so he can give the photo albums to his boys.

I've been slacking off, BUT I did fill my recycling bin with a bunch of outdated papers and old floppy disks that I can't even access anymore because I have a new computer with a CD drive instead of a floppy disk drive.

Nothing today, but the Redneck has been scanning photo albums and saving the pictures on a DVD so he can give the albums to his boys.  We've got a full day tomorrow, but then Saturday it's back to Operation Clean Out the Attic.  And then maybe I'll attack the medicine cabinet and my "cosmetics" basket.  Honestly, I only wear 3 different things as far as makeup... Why do I have a whole basket of stuff??  I should probably toss a bunch of nail polish too... But a girl never knows what color she's going to be in the mood for!!

I started putting away winter clothes and noticed that there were quite a few I brought out last fall and never wore once this season.  So into a donation bag they went.  Now I need to do the same with the warm weather clothes; I'm hoping to figure out which ones I probably won't wear this summer and get rid of them now. 

Oh Mancino!!  Great idea!  **Hopefully** spring will be arriving in Northern Michigan soon... I'm going to do this!  I donated several sweaters last fall before I brought them downstairs and only put in my closet the ones I thought I really loved, but glancing in there, I know there are at least 4 or 5 that I still didn't wear this year.  I actually despise all winter clothes.  Maybe if I toss all of them, I can avoid winter??

I don't know how it happened, but my clothes managed to expand to fill the empty closet & drawer space left when I got rid of DH's things.  ::)  Today I filled four large shopping bags with stuff to donate, and I still need to do more.  I think they're reproducing at night when I'm not looking, lol.

I also need to tackle my jewelry box.  I could open a small boutique with all the costume jewelry & watches I've collected over the years.  A good portion of it of it can go; I always seem to rely on the same few favorite pieces.    Like clothing, I think I wear about 20% of the items 80% of the time.  :)

Oh isn't that the truth!  I was so pleased with myself that I actually wore each of the pairs of flip flops that I took on our 6 week winter vacation... I think it was 5 pairs.  I usually take way more than I wear.  Which means I probably can get rid of the kabillion other pairs that I didn't take.

Actually, I need to replace a few of my favorite pairs.  I have a pair of black ones that I really love, but I think other people see them differently than I do... Toss out the old, and get a **few** new pairs.  Heck, up here in Michigan I only get a few days in the summer that I can actually wear them... But we're working on this "living in the frigid north" thing... There may be hope for my forlorn flip flops yet!

Oh wait... We're supposed to be getting rid of things, right?

24 is the answer... What is the question??

How many pairs of shoes did Mokie just fill a giant garbage bag with?  Good lord, you may have a problem if...

I also filled another giant bag with clothes to take to the thrift store.  I could probably garage sale many things in those garbage bags, but they'll get out of my house sooner if I just take them to St Vinnie's.

Mancino-Way to go girlfriend! Like the idea of donating anything not worn this winter...makes sense!

Mokie-You are on a ROLL!

I'm ashamed to admit I just went threw the stuff on the fridge doors...I keep the main shelves cleaned every week...but the side shelves!!! Outdated dressings, mustards, sauces :P ...threw out at least 12 jars (yes I recycled) Now I'm adding to my chores list looking at dates on those once a month and not being tempted in the store anymore!

I AM on a roll!  I actually ended up with 3-1/2 garbage bags to donate.  I was going to do the bathroom cabinets too, but I needed a nap more.  ;)

There's a reason for my motivation... I'll share it soon.  But for now, it sure feels good to get this much stuff out of here.  Especially when it's unneeded/unused stuff, and someone else will be able to use it.

And as far as the "1 item a day"???  I think I'm good up until the middle of next January!  Ha!  This thread was just what I needed to get going.

Cleaned out the medicine cabinet today... Tossed lots of prescription and OTC meds that were WAY past their expiration date, found toothbrushes, toothpaste, band-aids, and lots of other stuff that had never been opened and we had forgotten we had... Cut down the stuff in there by at least half.

• 3 weeks later...

I had fallen behind on this too, but just yesterday I went through the cabinet with the drinking glasses in it, and packed up all the stemmed wine glasses (I like to use the stemless ones) and the tall glass drinking glasses.  Going to go with mostly plastic or shatterproof glasses in the future... My motivation behind getting rid of so much stuff is that we are selling most everything, or giving it away, and will be full-time RV-ing.  I'm excited about it, but so much to do in the meantime!!

A couple of days ago I went through the kitchen cabinet that has become a resting spot for whatever doesn't have another place, and threw out about half of what was in there.  Super old decaf coffee, instant tea, tang... organized all the assorted paper plates and red solo cups... Somehow that cabinet is still full, but much more organized.

Today I'm going to attack another cabinet... I have to decide which of the three (3!!!) crock pots I want to take.  :o

...Super old decaf coffee, instant tea, tang... organized all the assorted paper plates and red solo cups... Somehow that cabinet is still full, but much more organized.

Ha, Tang?  That's something I haven't heard of or thought about since I was a kid.  Do they still make that stuff? :)

I'm another one who has fallen off the clear-it-out wagon.  Even though today is a nice day, I'm going to attempt to spend a few hours in the basement...