Minimalist 1 item a day challenge!

MissingSquish

Yeah, I've still been doing some decluttering, but not as much as I could be, so thanks for bumping.  I do need to lock myself in my spare bedroom since about two weeks ago the rod in the closet in there came crashing down, dumping clothes & hangers all over the floor.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was a sign from DH trying to tell me that I have way too many clothes, LOL. 

The next job after that will be cooking stuff....I have so many kitchen doo-dads that I never use.  When DH was here, he was a much better cook than I am; and now that it's just me, I don't do much cooking at all. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On and off I have been battling this since my husband's passing.  My husband was the "master of collecting junk".  We just didn't have our junk but he also had his parents and grandmother who where also deceased stuff.  I just not sure how this house didn't explode from the inside out.  lol 

I read the Japanese art of decluttering.  Some of I agree with and others I don't. I really want to be a minimalist but lets face it all your processions you can't be in love with.  For example my husband's tools.  They are everywhere.  Any clue on how to organize stuff that you have no clue what half the junk is for?  Any suggestions?  I don't really know of any men who could help me with this and my sons don't know what the stuff is for either. 

Guest TooSoon

My solution to the tool problem was to pick out a small collection of recognizable ones that I thought could potentially maybe someday come in handy (like a hammer) but I gave the rest away and then some.  It wasn't like I was suddenly going to start using a buzz saw or starting projects requiring an electrical drill.  I figure, when something needs fixing I'll have to ask someone to help me anyway and hopefully he/she has their own tools.  Felt great getting rid of that stuff! 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, got serious the last two days and did a major cleaning/purging of my family room.  Probably not as much of a purge as I should but I have a box full of books to donate to the local school for a book sale they have coming up and threw away a bunch of little piddly stuff that just seems to accumulate when you have kids.  I feel like I'm on a roll!  Hopefully I can get back in gear with it again once I have another day off.  :)

I've told my kids the room better stay clean after all the work I've done.  Heads will roll if it doesn't!

Mailed off a package. It's been sitting around for a month!!

Dropped off two large bags of clothes at a friends house.

Sold an organizer my daughters no longer use.

Contacted the PD about an exercise machine I have in the basement. I thought they might want it for their weight room. Waiting to hear back. I would love to get rid of that beast! It's been in pieces on the floor for years.

Listed my two sofas on Facebook today. :) I'm ready for new ones.

I'll be listing my dining set soon. I have someone coming tonight to give me an estimate on built in bench seating with storage.

I also called a friend about my dh's Cobra Mustang. If she's not interested anymore I might use it as a trade in on a new vehicle. My oldest has her permit so we'll need two vehicles soon.

• 2 weeks later...

DonnaP-Me too!  I'm ready tp play again....so last night I went through undergarment and sock drawers and got rid of anything I no longer want.  Also the basket in the kitchen I toss articles, coupons, etc into and purged out anything outdated/no longer needed.  Not much but it is a start to getting back in the swing of it.