Anyone start a non profit ?

Momtojandj

So I have thought for awhile now, I want to start a non profit , in my husbands name . My goal .. To help widows and widowers with funeral expenses , too many I know didn't have life insurance or any way to pay bills. Maybe I'm thinking too big .. I have no clue how or when or what I would do.. Has any of us here done anything like this? Where do you start ? Hoping by the time my youngest is out of HS (3 years ) to make this happen .

That sounds like a great idea.  I had a little over $200 in the bank when my love died and no life insurance.  I was lucky a friend showed up and paid it on the spot.  I hope you can start this, it would help so many people.  I do not know how to start a non profit myself but there is a business club in most towns called Rotary which has many people that own businesses in that town.  You can go to a meeting and network.  Also the BBB may be able to help.

I've been thinking of doing something with a non-profit too, but haven't figured out the angle I want to take.  My initial inclination was - for lack of a better way to say it - a resource center that helps people navigate the various aspects of young widowhood.  But, like you, I'm not sure where to start.  We have a non-profit children's grief center in my area though, so I am going to call the director and talk to her.  Are there any non-profits in your area you could use as a sounding board?

Guest TooSoon

I started two funds in my husband's name, one at the high school where he taught and the second, more successful one, at a local pan-arts community center where he taught and had a studio for a long time.  The second one has worked out much better.  The organization handles all of the applications, paperwork (tax stuff) and then offers two summer camp tuitions to at-risk youth from the neighborhood where the center is located.  I have the option of being as much or as little involved as I want to be in both scholarship competitions.  The larger arts center also has its own fundraising arm that is in a position to keep the fund growing and thus keep the program going, something I could never manage on my own.  Thats been my experience so far.  Good luck!

I don't have the business mind necessary for starting and running a non-profit, but I support a scholarship fund in my husband's name at the university where he taught.  It is managed by the university Foundation, but I have the say on how the money is used.  I also fund financial awards for the winners of the university's Scholarly and Creative Activities Day (essentially a research poster session) that the university named for him after he died.  But if you have this kind of a background or the willingness to learn to do it, more power to you! 

Maureen

It's a pretty big undertaking, but great that you want to help others.  The non profits I'm aware have a 501c3 status and a board of directors.

A member from the old ywbb started a non profit to help widows with children:

www.actsofsimplekindness.org

Another I'm aware of was founded by Matt Logelin whose wife died shortly after childbirth.  It seems pretty well funded and active?

www.thelizlogelinfoundation.org

It is a great idea. And as Maureen said, a foundation may be something you might want to check into. I also started two scholarships which are managed by a local foundation. They do all the work. I can give input on the scholarship decisions or not. It is up to me. This foundation not only works with scholarship awards, but all kinds of charitable giving. It has a board of directors and administrative staff.

Go for it!!