Planning a sweet 16 party...

SoVerySad

for a daughter who hates pink, fancy, and is not overly girly isn't easy. I'm trying to find some decorations, but everything is so not what she would appreciate. Anyone else have a sweet 16 party for a unique, free spirited, slightly dark tastes, doesn't like to be the center of attention girl? What is a mom to do? I used to be so creative with parties when they were small. Although my husband didn't help a lot with planning, he knew the kids, was always there to bounce ideas off of, and helped me focus when I started to feel overwhelmed. I want to make it a special night for her as she's been having such a hard time lately. The last thing I want to do is make things worse.

Of course, I don't know her, but it may help to let go of traditional expectations of a Sweet 16 party and find an alternative that she would enjoy and be memorable for her.  Maybe something experiential, like a concert with a few friends, would suit her best.    Just a thought.

Thank you all for your replies. No, it isn't a surprise. She would not like that at all. I have gotten her input in many areas which caused me to shift focus from a larger family and friends celebration in a local hotel meeting room to an outing with her friends to then just a small group of her friends here at home (which will be settled on now since I already did the invitations). I have asked one of her friends for ideas he may have since she told me he wanted to help. Another of her friends helped me find a song that I could dedicate to her from the bands they both like. I'll have the xbox one set up with the RockBand game and instruments. I'm also going to try to set up a homemade photo booth up on our landing. I know she likes to take pictures with her friends when they're together. I guess my biggest problem right now is decorations. I think I'm just going to choose colors she likes and then try to make some 16 themed signs, etc. that would be in those color schemes to go with them.

Perhaps my struggle really is that I just don't want to accept my baby is turning 16? (And her dad isn't here to see it.)

Any other ideas for teens, please share. I haven't started planning food yet. She's not a big fan of pizza, so that makes it a little harder.

Thank you again.

Guest TooSoon

I asked my student whose Mom died of GBM when she was M's age, figuring she might have some ideas.  She suggested a karaoke machine (is that the same as what the xbox does?  sorry, we're still in My Little Ponyland over here).  How about some cheap colored lights in her favorite colors or a cheap disco ball (if such a thing exists - maybe you could borrow one from some one).  I'll keep thinking.  oxoxox

SVS  We celebrated DD's 16th last year, the party wasn't at home but I found a local baker with reasonable rates and had a professional cake made with her favorite colors.  I'm not a crafty person by any stretch but made the cake topper from wooden "16" numbers that I found at Michaels, painted and decorated them to match.  She's kept them as a remembrance. 

Can you expand in some way on the music or photography theme?  A few other ideas - lava lamp, helium balloons, streamers, party table cloths in her colors -

Guest TooSoon

20$ disco balls on amazon.  You might find some inexpensive decorating/theme stuff at Big Lots (I am a huge fan of this store).  No matter what you do, it is going to be great! 

I don't know how many kids you're talking about or how much this might cost but kids seem to love those hibachi places where they set things on fire right in front of you.  We'd never been to one before - and quite honestly I didn't quite get the appeal - but everyone else seemed absolutely to love it.  There were like 3 birthday parties going on at once when we were there.  Ours did fancy non-alcoholic drinks for the kids and a birthday thing for dessert at the end.  The benefit of this is no work for you.

I love the photo booth idea.  I was at a New Years Eve party and the host did this.  She put a plastic table cloth on the wall with lights and garland and had a lot of props to use.  Hats, paper mustaches, glasses, feather boas.  A fun idea!

Thanks for the ideas. The lighting idea is great as that could really eliminate much of my need for decorations. I'm in a rental with very high ceilings, so I might not be able to install a disco ball, however I found some lights on Amazon that shine upwards from the ground that might do the trick. I think the RockBand game does have something similar to karaoke as I had to buy a microphone for it. I'll have to check it out closer.

I really appreciate your sharing ideas. My husband would thank you for filling in for him. He would probably also ask you to remind me to stick to budget. :) Seriously, it is nice to not feel alone.

Hugs to each of you...

Some upllighting is cool. I doubt they are into decorations anymore. How about Chinese food or her favorite foods or all appetizers? Is do a signature non alcoholic drink in her fav color or in the color of the lighting.

Have you looked on Pinterest? Of the Sweet 16's I've attended the most popular things for the teens were karaoke, photo booths, and sweets tables /bars.

My oldest turned 16 last year.  At first she didn't want a party.  She had no desire to be the center of attention. My nephew is 8 days older and felt the same way.  They decided on a joint party. His mom and I rented out a room at a restaurant.  We hired a DJ who also had a karaoke machine.  We had a sweets table and a appetizers table set up. Decorations were black, white, and purple.  Purple happens to be their favorite color, so that worked out. I made a Sweet 16 banner using those colors. I also bought purple Masons jars to use on the tables. The candy was also purple, black, and white.  It wasn't a large party, but it was what they both wanted.

Virgo, the party you had sounds great.

Well, we had to move the party to next weekend as we'll be completely snowed in here tomorrow. It gives me a week longer to get fully ready (and unfortunately worry). I've been showing her things I bought for the party and she actually has seemed pretty excited about it now. (Except for the pretty little sweet 16 crown I ordered - no way she is wearing that. I expected that, but thought I might get a pic of her in it at least).

I found very cool light bulbs on Amazon that go directly into a regular lamp socket and make patterns similar to a disco ball on the ceiling and walls, so I didn't do much with decorations. I also bought wigs, different types of glasses, nylon sleeves that look like sleeve tattoos, inflatable instruments, etc. for them to wear for the photo booth since we settled on a music theme with them playing the Rock Band game, etc.. She and I had a very fun time trying on the wigs when they came. I thought she might think they were lame, but she loved them. She has a long purple one picked out for herself.

Hopefully it will all come together well and be a fun, memorable night. Thank you all for the suggestions and support as I had worked myself into a tizzy.

Hugs to each of you...

Guest TooSoon

Fantastic!  It might be delayed by the storm but it sounds like it is going to be both a huge success and perhaps just what she needs right now.  You are an amazing, Mama!  I want to see a picture of you in a blue/pink/orange wig!  xx

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The party was a big success. Everyone was having such a good time I told them we could extend it if they wanted, and they all excitedly called their parents to extend pick up time. It was exhausting for mom, but great to see my kids genuinely happy (especially since we found out the day before one of our cats has cancer).

The lighting idea was great. It completely transformed the look of my home. The disco ball type light bulbs worked great. I just removed the shades from my living room lamps and screwed the bulbs in. I also found these small battery operated submersible tealights that slowly rotate through 4 colors. I put them in the bottom of clear bins for drinks, covered with ice, added the drinks. It made the ice glow. Others I placed in small glass candle holders and covered them with those flat clear marble things. I placed a few throughout the food areas I had set up. It looked great. Very easy with big impact.

The kids had a blast with the wigs, etc. - even the boys. They especially loved those nylon fake tattoo sleeves. Sadly I didn't get too many pictures, but what matters most was they had fun. Fun felt so good again.

Thank you again for the support and ideas.