Not "just" a cat

injo

Today I will have to put my(our) cat down. He is the last connection with DH, my brother and mother. DH and my brother choose him in a shelter, it was a "present" for my mother(she loved cats). She made us promise to take care of him should anything happen to her, she died 4 months later. We took him in. My brother died 7 months later(cancer), almost three years later my husband died unexpectedly. And now, the same week my brother died in April I have to let him go. I'm so sad and soo tired of saying goodbye.

Just needed to get it out, thanks for listening!

Tight, tight hugs to you, injo. I'm so very sorry you have to say goodbye to your cat today, especially after already enduring so much loss. Of course, he is more than just a cat to you. I wish I could fly myself there to be with you to hold your hand and give you my shoulder to cry on.

More hugs...

Guest nonesuch

Hugs to you.  it's never "just" a pet.  They don't judge, and only ask for open cans and head scritches.  If the cats could talk, mine would blab all my secrets. 

Guest Kamcho

I just lost LH's and my little tyrant cat. LH had had him since college and I had him longer than LH.

I got a lot of "well, it was just a cat." Even from people here.

It hurts to lose a living link to our late spouses.

Kamcho, I'm very sorry about the loss of your cat as well. And I'm sorry for the comments you got that made your loss seem insignificant. My cats are definitely family to me. Plus they never let me down in the ways my human family does. They make my life richer every day. To lose that is no small thing, especially after the losses we've already suffered. Tight hugs to you as well.

I truly get it...we did not have children...2 years after his death I had to put our cat down....4 years after his death I had to put the other one down...it was the end of our four "person" family as I had known it...and then there was one...

((((HUGS)))))

Guest tableforone

So hard. Saying good bye to a beloved pet is difficult enough without the pet being a pet you shared with your love. I did it at around a year and a half. I whispered in our dog's ear, "Go find Daddy."  Big hug to you.

So very sorry for the loss of another family member to you. 

I went to a medium about awhile ago and he told me and our daughters that a dog just came running up to my husband.  Yes, we had a family dog that died 4 years before my husband did.  It made all of us feel so good to know they are together!