Happy Fathers Day

Trying

Adding my wishes for a good day as well. We have some amazing dads here and I appreciate reading their parenting posts. We also have some amazing moms who give their all to fill the void left by the loss of their husbands (just as the dads do the loss of their wives).

Hugs to all of you, including Serpico  ;) (It is Father's Day, you know!)

On this Father's Day, I am grateful for my Father. I am glad that my children got to spend so much time with him.

We just passed the third anniversary of Cindy's passing. I am grateful that she was such an amazing Mom. It was so much fun being a parent with her and raising our family together.

I am grateful for my two wonderful children. From a very early age I knew that the most important thing in life for me, was to be a Dad.

It's still hard to realize that I am the only parent that my children have to talk to.

My girls did not notice it was Father's Day.  I can't believe they were so out-of-touch that they didn't see an ad or a billboard.  Without a coach, they seem just clueless.  And not possessed of any "isn't Father's Day sometime soon?".

I went and got dinner alone and walked around.  I will reconnect with them soon.

Rob T

Rob I am sorry your girls didn't celebrate the amazing Dad you are yesterday. You've mentioned before that they don't seem to remember special days like birthdays and fathers Day for you.  If they watch TV or are on social media, they knew.  I would let a few days pass and talk to them about it.  We need to teach our children how to treat the people they love.  It sucks because their mom would have made sure they would make some gesture.  I have told my kids I don't need presents or a big deal, just acknowledge the special day.

Rob I'm so sorry ... kids I'm sure don't intentionally do things like that ... they are self absorbed by nature.  I agree with Trying... I still would have a talk with them.  My kids saw a meme on facebook and started saying "Happy Fathers day, Mamadaddy".  My daughter had a rough time this weekend, as my dad and hers are both gone, and she loved her PaPa almost as much as she did her daddy. Personally, I'm glad it's over.

I'm sorry, Rob. You were one of the great dads we have here that came to mind first when I wrote my post. I always appreciate you sharing your challenges and responses. It is clear you are very good to those girls. I agree that you should have a gentle discussion with them. It is important for them to learn not to forget how important it is for recognize those we are closest to, whom by that nature in itself can be overlooked for displays of appreciation at times.

Hugs...

Rob I?m sorry.  I thought  a lot about you this weekend.  You were the first one that came to mind when I thought of guys where the one who directs the children to celebrate the parent is gone.  If my children hadn?t made Mother's Day cards at school (and I was really surprised my daughter?s 6th grade class did this) I wouldn?t have gotten a card at all.  My daughter knew father?s day was coming because I asked her what she wanted to do (she picked the usual take flowers to the cemetery); but when the day came and I mentioned going there after church I did get ?Oh it?s today??  Then it hit her later and she slept in his recliner all night.

I know it is difficult to teach our children these types of things.  My son?s youth pastor is constantly having talks with him now about how he should treat me.  All I had taught him so far in that regard is to put the toilet seat back down when he?s done.  He?s 5 though and at that people pleasing age.  My daughter is 12 and let me tell you.  We have to have a lot of talks about how things don?t just happen around here by magic.  Sometimes I feel like I go so far to make things good, I also make it look easy.  I think like the others have said, it is perfectly reasonable for you to have a talk with them about this.  My stepchildren used to let my husband?s birthday go by without even a phone call and once they got to be a certain age, he started letting them know it.  His and his daughter?s birthdays are 4 days apart so there was no forgetting.  He would let them know that he appreciated his birthday acknowledged just like they did and if they considered how they would feel if their birthdays went by and he neither did or said anything, he also feels that way and that him being an adult didn?t change that.

Heck I remember at age 14 asking my mom for a last minute (2 days before) ride to the store so I could pick out a Mother?s Day present for her.  She told me she should not have to do that, that I should have asked someone else sooner and sent me out on my bike.

Sorry Rob! My mother in-law always makes sure my daughters don't forget mother's day. Otherwise I'm not sure they would think about it either.

My daughters and I spent Father's day with my father in-law. He went to church with us in the morning. We took him out for lunch. After lunch he helped my oldest daughter mow our lawn. Then I insisted he stay for dinner and I grilled. I left a message for my dad, but he's out drinking most weekends these days. I ended up talking to him Monday.