FB message from YWBB founders on decision to close

anniegirl

Guest look2thesky

Just think it had nothing to do with legality, and more to do with founding members moving on and abandoning ship.

I don't speculate it matters much anymore.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest marian1953

yes, in response to looktothesky. I find it so bloody ironic that they did it on a Friday- and I had chuckled at Mrs.Dan's Fuck Outta Here Friday post?little did we know that was exactly what they were doing!

Marian

I think what triggered me the most was that it was a biz decision. I dont know about anyone else but who does biz like this? Awful.

Yup. Me too.

Intentions are always good in the beginning of support non profit...but over the years I have seen too many made a business out of grief and "there story"..eventually it all boils down to money and ego.

Mostly ego...which is quite apparent in the defensive "but I do this" type of explanation. I have seen dozens of "professional" widows evolve over the years. While I am grateful always for ywbb...it was always my example of organic not for profit wids helping wids type of place. Which it was....but darn I was hoping the "business" would stay out of it. Silly me.

Guest nonesuch

The only action I recall ever being taken by the mods was in banning rabidbadger and whoever-it-was-she-was fighting with.  I was beyond puzzled when the non-widower made an appearance and they did nothing.

No worries, Nonesuch and Maureen. Mods are definitely watching interactions and should yall see anything going down that ain't copacetic, alert one or more mods, and it's going to be reviewed and mitigated.

Free speech should prevail, and if people disagree or verbally spar, fine. But if it gets disparaging or nasty, that won't be tolerated. No wid needs that in their life!

Baylee

This was just shared on the YWBB FB group. They gave permission to share.

We have faith that with all the new technology and social networks, the newbies will find their way, just as we found ours. the site wasn't there when I lost my husband. I had noone to connect with, no local groups, and nothing on line. I created it out of need. that will happen again. In fact, there are so many wonderful online resources now, we felt that everyone would find their way and be in good hands. It was a really hard decision and there were many board discussions about how to address our future. Please know we have always had everyone's best intentions in mind, and it's not that we stopped caring or have moved on and forgot about anyone. I am so beyond touched that this little idea of mine has grown to help so many. I'm glad I was able to help. Now I am helping in other ways, I run several local young widow support groups in my area. You and your buddies and the newbies.... I assure you someone will step up and create something even better than the ywbb. it was amazing at the time, but its time, not ours, has come. Thank you for reading this and understanding that it was a business decision made based on many factors that not everyone is aware of. Please feel free to share this message. thank you, Lauren

Can anyone get me contact info for Lauren?? I really would like to get the youngwidow and ywbb domain names if they are going to let them go.

Lewis

Guest fleur

Hey Lewis,

I have put in a request to someone who may be able to help but I am not sure.  I had sent several messages to board members before the board went down that went unanswered.  Hopefully this approach could work because having the domains would really help to maintain visibility and make it much easier for the new widows to find this place.  I also know that at least Lauren had access to the Facebook group but I am not a member.

If anyone else has an ear, please pipe up (or pm) it's worth the effort to try.

Can anyone get me contact info for Lauren?? I really would like to get the youngwidow and ywbb domain names if they are going to let them go.

Lewis

Great idea.  I donated, but am willing to help pay for domain costs if necessary.  Widowedyoung is available too.  A bunch that were available when we were on proboards are no longer available- hope you grabbed them.  THANK YOU, Lewis. 

Lewis

Great idea.  I donated, but am willing to help pay for domain costs if necessary.  Widowedyoung is available too.  A bunch that were available when we were on proboards are no longer available- hope you grabbed them.  THANK YOU, Lewis.

I grabbed the youngwidowforum.com, net, org, and info domain names when I was trying to figure out how to things a bit more permanent. Then Lewis go a hold of me and the rest is history. Those may be the ones you are thinking of.

This was just shared on the YWBB FB group. They gave permission to share.

We have faith that with all the new technology and social networks, the newbies will find their way, just as we found ours. the site wasn't there when I lost my husband. I had noone to connect with, no local groups, and nothing on line. I created it out of need. that will happen again. In fact, there are so many wonderful online resources now, we felt that everyone would find their way and be in good hands. It was a really hard decision and there were many board discussions about how to address our future. Please know we have always had everyone's best intentions in mind, and it's not that we stopped caring or have moved on and forgot about anyone. I am so beyond touched that this little idea of mine has grown to help so many. I'm glad I was able to help. Now I am helping in other ways, I run several local young widow support groups in my area. You and your buddies and the newbies.... I assure you someone will step up and create something even better than the ywbb. it was amazing at the time, but its time, not ours, has come. Thank you for reading this and understanding that it was a business decision made based on many factors that not everyone is aware of. Please feel free to share this message. thank you, Lauren

Lewis

Hi Lewis, I did a public search of the 501c3 status of YWBB and came across some contact information that may be helpful to you. Will send via a private message.

I'm so thankful for everybody that had a hand in setting up this new site.  I don't post a ton, but I read it all the time, and it really helps me.  The only reason I didn't need a therapist is because I had YWBB.  Now, I'm so very thankful for WIDDA! 

As someone who is new.. the YWBB board felt safe. It was YEARS of raw emotions. The posts of how members felt, what they were dealing with, and the years beyond that how they got through it. When you questioned if you were going crazy, when you had any questions, you do a search. SOMEONE has most likely gone through what you were going through. You didn't have to post, or feel like you had to ask or share. The answers were there from years of people being in your shoes. I am SO thankful for this new board, but it is like starting completely over. New people coming in can't just read the years of where people started to the positives on where they ended up. The years of raw emotions, the questions, the answers. The YWBB was a guide book of answers, and this site we are writing our own book.

• 1 month later...

Fine grief counseling that is, just closing down. And besides, what kind of business was the YWBB ?? Did they go to Wallstreet?

anyway, no warning knowing the situation we are all in is not good enough. Just because it was hard for her, does it have to be hard for us too? I have always found this the stupidest of 'explanations' for a shitty situation. It would have cost nothing to put up a warning, knowing that some people only post once in a while, or at least, offer to advertise the new board on the internet page that comes up , when you look for YWBB.  Never mind, thanks to the new team we are not alone again!!

Every time I read this, it just makes me angry.  like the site is just some baggage that was easy to toss away into the wind.  After all, there are other outlets - I'm sure the cards will fall perfectly.

I'm so thankful for this site, but all that info lost, all that amazing advice gone forever... 

It's just not right.

Guest look2thesky

I don't know about others but their quick decision to abandon the site with a lack of a answering why left a void. I guess the real reason will never be explained. Just a you guys will be ok reSlly added insult to injury.any times I looked to the forum for a friend, or a reason to explain maybe to myself that I was not alone. It felt like a no warning lockout.

Yes again thanks to some great people who are seemingly well versed about the Internet came to the rescue.

Thanks again.