My uncle died :(

MissingSquish

My mom's twin brother, my uncle was like a second dad to me. They found him on his front steps after being dead for 12 hours. He was divorced, had no kids. I hadn't seen him since Christmas (when I ran into him at the mall) but he was always a great guy.

I am in total shock. He had a heart attack a year ago, but had a quadruple bypass and seemed to be doing ok.  Services are Tuesday, I don't know much else further than that.

Thanks guys for your support.

Just found out from my mom that her sister is being admitted to the hospital (this is actually common for her sister), so services might be postponed beyond Tuesday.

I guess this is an opportunity to tell work that I am widowed. I don't know.

Thank you guys so much.  Spoke with my manager through email and am planning on taking off Wednesday through Friday (services start Wednesday). He asked if I needed to take tomorrow off too, and I said I would rather be caught up on work knowing that I'll be out for 3 days.

I'm not 100% sure I'll speak with my manager about my widowed status at work. I've received some interesting opinions on the contrary, and I think I'll have to weigh this one out and see if it feels right to talk about. One wise widow said to me today: "it's grief, they're going to expect sadness. They just don't need to know the roots of it"

I feel at peace right now. Sad, but at peace. I am going to miss my uncle tons, no doubt.  I whispered into his ear this morning, "till we meet again, save a place for me".

I can honestly say I have no bad memories of him. Ever. I had a great relationship with him.  I lived my life. He lived his life. We had mutual respect and understanding for each other. He loved me. I loved him. He knew I loved him. I knew he loved me.

I've gotten a few signs from Squish the past few days that he's taking care of my uncle up there. Squish's favorite (and obscure) song came on the radio on Sunday. Driving home from the wake last night, Jack Johnson's Upside Down came on the radio.