Something positive

RobFTC

Hi folks,

I don't think too many have heard this, but a couple of months ago I got rattled.  I had some vision oddities - a little shimmer in the corner of one eye.  I thought it was odd, and went in to get examined.  They poked and prodded, and decided that high blood pressure was affecting blood flow to my optic nerve, and that I probably had some permanent vision damage (though it might improve some).  I was very lucky that this was peripheral and not central vision, and that the affect was subtle.

I had thought I had a blood pressure problem last fall, and got on meds to deal with it, but they probably were not the best meds and I was lousy at actually tracking my blood pressure and getting it right.  I had a blood pressure monitor, but I wasn't sure it was accurate and didn't compare it to know, and was discounting the occasional high readings I would get when I occasionally took my pressure.  My exercise was spotty, my stress was high, and my diet and weight were taking me to bad places, so I was really not going where I wanted.

So since that diagnosis, and after mourning a bit for not being able to rely thoughtlessly on my body like I could in my thirties, I started hitting this on all fronts.  I took my blood pressure monitor to the doctor's office to compare - it's not bad.  I have been very faithful at monitoring my blood pressure.  I switched meds to make exercise easier.  I started taking exercise more seriously - I can really tell that I can't let more than a day go by without it, and it lowers my pressure way more than any one other thing.  Last night, I felt good enough that watching TV while on my stationary bike was comfortable rather than a "sheesh-how-many-more-minutes" chore.  For more variety, I will join a gym Real Soon Now and figure out what to do there (that's got to happen still).

I also went to a weight-loss doctor.  I have been on that border between overweight and obese according to my BMI for some time, and I had wanted it to change.  I felt like I tried to make decent food choices but had lousy information about what really mattered.  Under the doctor's guidance, I had better focus on what mattered for me - early signs of metabolic syndrome meant I should get away from carbs, especially. I started tracking what I was eating for a couple of weeks with modest goals, and then locked into specific goals for carbs/protein/calories.  Ten stubborn pounds are gone, and I know I will lose more.  I feel like I have reoriented myself away from some crap foods in a good way, because I am not craving most of them.  (We won't talk about potato chips, OK? :-)  I got through two great Halloween parties and kept myself to two pieces of candy, which represents more self-control than I thought I could muster.

So life is better.  I feel like I give more of a crap about staying alive and well, and have adopted a better attitude about actually participating in that process.  I have backed away from some things that felt more important than they were, and I feel more free now.  I am making changes to be better for me, and I feel like I am doing a whole lot more right than I was.  It's not victory yet, but I believe I can get there.

Take care,

Rob T

Rob, I wish I was at a place where I could pull together what you are doing.  In the past, it seems to have taken some kind of a scare to get me to change habits, and I would do that...and persist for awhile...until something knocked me off course.  I was in the best shape in decades when I met John, but just shy of a year later, I injured a knee and needed surgery and I haven't been able to get myself back on track since.  It seems that my blood sugars are always elevated when I have bloodwork in Houston (MD Anderson), but I am also on high doses of prednisone when the blood work is done.  I recently had my A1C checked...and it is fine...so no scare there to motivate me to change my routines.  Darn.  I need something....since will power just isn't my strongest asset.

Back to you...bravo for getting out there, and exercising and eating better.

Maureen

Guest TooSoon

Congratulations, Rob!  Everything I do to live better - big or seemingly ludicrously minor or insignificant - always makes me feel so much more hopeful.  Like Justin, you remind me that I need to do something about that thing called exercise.  I can't keep trying to convince myself in perpetuity that teaching is aerobic and thus adequate.....

So great to hear this! Keep it up and you will feel more and more comfortable with it.

I did join a gym last month but not getting there very often yet. Need to make it more consistent.

You are doing a great thing for you and for your daughters. They need you strong and healthy for a very long time, even though it may not seem like our kids need us at times.

good for you !

sounds like you have a good attitude about getting healthier

the only thing that gets me to exercise is my black lab

waiting by the door (no matter what the weather ) and wanting to go for a walk

so if you ever lose motivation ..get a dog , helps a lot

• 2 months later...

Today, I hit a milestone I doubted I could hit - I have lost 20 pounds since the start of October.  Low-carb is still working for me; I really had to tough it out at first to detox my way out of some cravings, and I lost some ground and plateaued for awhile over the holidays.  I mainly choose from breakfasts and lunches that work out of my food journal app, so I only have to focus on dinners.  I'm keeping my foot on the pedal awhile longer.

Take care,

Rob T

Wow- that's fantastic!  I'm trying to find things I can do to get my health going in the right direction. I need more exercise to deal with stress to avoid eating, but I screwed my knees up so bad while my husband was ill that I'm really limited to minor pool exercise. (Have had bilateral meniscus surgeries & a series of really fun knee injections with limited success; am putting off replacement surgeries as long as possible.)

It's inspiring to see when folks are succeeding!! :)

Congratulations for losing 20 pounds!

I really need to start exercising and eating healthier, too. I have gained back most of the weight I lost on what I referred to as the "Widow Diet" and that is not a good thing as I was definitely what would be referred to as "fat and happy" when DH passed away. 

My daughter wants to start working out and we can use the facilities at the Air Force Base for free, but I'm really self-conscious about my weight so I've been avoiding it. Perhaps I should heed my own words (Suck it up, Buttercup!) and just do it. I am really not liking what I see in the mirror these days.

I am at my highest weight, besides pregnancy, and hate looking in the mirror. I keep making these goals to lose weight and get healthier, but haven't followed through on them.

I am too busy making excuses about being too busy,lol.

Great job Rob. It's not easy changing parts of your lifestyle!