Longer widowed than married...

TornApart

Realised the other day that on my wedding anniversary this year, I would have been widowed longer than  we were married. 5 years.

Funny how the littlest thoughts can knock you to your knees.

Admitted to a friend that I had cried from the depths of my soul... her reaction? "Still?"

Yes. Still. In 10 years, still. 20 years, still. 50, still. I know now that it will never not hurt.

I will be in the same position in a few months. It seems surreal. I had very difficult times when my children reached their birthdays that signified they were alive longer without their dad than with him. I am just getting around to cleaning more of his personal belongings. Most I can't part with. The children will want them. I guess I am just collecting and organizing them. Ugh, it sucks. I remember the good times and wonder why he had to leave so young.

Hang in there.

Sending you strength,

Eileen

Yes I too am in this "club"- in fact, at over 5 years out I have been a widow longer than I was with my husband overall. So sad : (  Sometimes Id give anything to just talk to him one last time and show him how well our son is doing. He really misses his Dad- even though he can't remember him : (

Yes. The 11th would have been our eighth wedding anniversary. We didn't make it to five. We were together almost eight years, married almost five. Long enough to have three fine children, have our own place, and cry when I type it.

• 2 weeks later...

Omg! I'm almost at this point. Married 6 years, 2 months and 12 days. August 31, will be 6 years 2 months and 13 days widowed . My youngest is now 11, she was 5 when he died. How did I manage to survive those early days. My kids tell me I was a zombie, I don't remember. That's probably a blessing.

• 5 weeks later...