Hair loss

Three months past my wife's death and my hair is dropping out like crazy, probably ten times what it normally does.  After a single shower and dry, my bathroom floor looks like I haven't swept it for a month - hair everywhere.  I spoke to my doc about this and he said that it could be a temporary reaction to extreme stress.  Anyone else experience something like this?  The last thing I need right now is to have hair issues on top of everything else, superficial as that seems.  This has been going on for about a month now and shows no signs of stopping.

Guest TooSoon

I lost a lot of hair; it never came back.  I started taking Biotin, though,  and it helped.  In my case it was definitely stress related. 

I recently started thinning again. This is the 3rd time in my life, it can be stress, meds, vitamin deficiency, autoimmune, hormones or heredity.  I find it very distressing, I use the Nioxin hair care system. I've had very severe alopecia aeteata in the past so now I waste no time getting to  the dermatologist for an evaluation. Good luck.

Absolutely and I believe it was a combination of extreme stress and poor nutrition in those earlier months.  I remember coloring my hair a few months in and actually seeing my scalp because my hair was so thin!  But, with a new hair cut, eating better, exercising more and stress management I seem to back to normal.

My hair started falling out too, as well as the weight dropping off.  I call it widowrexia!

It's absolutely down to stress and poor nutrition.  I had to make a really conscious effort with food, to the point that I became vegetarian, to make sure I got the right nutrients in me and back up to a healthy weight.  It made a real difference and although my hair is thinner than before, it's not falling out like it used to.

Get some fresh fruit and veg in you.  Hope that helps.

Yes!! No one tells us this is a side effect of grief, but it is-- I finally went to a dermatologist because I was convinced I would be bald. He told me that it's a condition called telogen effluvium, it's caused by major stress, it's temporary (6 months- 2 years), and you don't generally lose all your hair-- just enough to notice the thinning. There's no treatment except time, although a good diet and stress management (har!) can help.

I'm closing in on a year, and I can say I've noticed a significant drop in how much hair I'm pulling out of my hairbrush. It will get better.

Note: I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one, so it's always best to have things checked out by a qualified professional. Actually, all wids would probably benefit from a head-to-toe physical... I know I personally spent six months neglecting my health shamefully (and on purpose-- I quit taking my prescription meds, reasoning that I had no desire to prolong my life, so why bother?). Just my 2 cents, but there it is. (((hugs)))

Actually, all wids would probably benefit from a head-to-toe physical... I know I personally spent six months neglecting my health shamefully (and on purpose-- I quit taking my prescription meds, reasoning that I had no desire to prolong my life, so why bother?). Just my 2 cents, but there it is. (((hugs)))

Wonderful advice - thanks so much.  I'm going to the doc to ask about the hair, but I'll also see about having him give me a quick once-over to make sure there's no other glaring problems that I'm just not picking up on right now.  My mind is elsewhere, and like you, my own health has had to play second fiddle to the needs of my children/bank/house/job/etc.

Guest marian1953

biotin, biotin, biotin. I first used this while going through menopause, when everyone laughed at me- I was losing quite a bit of hair for me-  Biotin and paying  attentiont to diet is the way to go.

modified for spelling errors.

Yes, me too. And acne at age 50. And just aging in general. I have always looked younger than my years. All of the women in my family age well. And now, I look in the mirror and I don't know who that person is. I swear I have aged ten years in two.

Yep, hair dropping from the head, incessantly growing in all other places where you don't want it but alas.

Yes, min hair loss is definitively stress related, I had it before.

Aging loads in no  time? Yes, me too.

Looking horrible on most photographs you get to see of yourself?  Yes me for sure.

Let's do a  'grow hair grow- dance' , maybe that helps next to the healthy diet and vitamin supplements?

Actually, all wids would probably benefit from a head-to-toe physical...

I've been losing my hair at an alarming rate as well.  I also completely agree with the above.  About 2 months after C passed I went to my physician and said I wanted a full screening done. All blood work, EKG, mammogram, the works.  Thankfully, he agreed and understood the motivation behind the request. I'm happy to say that everything came back clear, so although I could stand to lose several pounds (thank you, stress-eating!), I'm a healthy 40 year old. I should be around for many many more years for my daughter.

I lost a lot of hair; it never came back.  I started taking Biotin, though,  and it helped.  In my case it was definitely stress related.

Ditto on both, biotin helps me too....when I remember to take it ha ha!

• 2 weeks later...

My hair fell out a lot in the first year after T passed away. I had always had thick hair that was thinned every time I got it cut. My hair stylist estimated I lost 50% of my hair. It did grow back though, to the point she was thinning it again at the start of this year. My daughter also lost a lot of her hair as well. She has beautiful long black hair and I was finding strands of it everywhere. Since the car crash I was in, it is falling out a bunch again. I hate the time I spend untangling it from around my fingers after I shower and wash it. Like you, it collects on the floor as well. I feel it is definitely related to stress. I hope yours will grow back for you as well.

Hugs to you...