I am still me!

It has taken me almost 3 years to find this out. In a little less than one month I will set out on an adventure I have dreamed about since I was a young woman. Over the years, that dream took a second place to the reality of my life. In all that time I never begrudged setting those things aside for my husband, kids, family, friends... anyone that needed my time or attention.

A couple of years ago I started thinking about my dreams of seeing the world. I wasn't sure I would be able to get the time off, or be able to pay for it. But I promised myself I would do it. So here it is, less than a month away and I am taking a 2 week trip. It is what I hope will be the start of a regular event for me. To see someplace new in the world. And to find a way to make this a regular part of what I have left of my life.

In a way it feels like I am getting re-acquainted with my "20-something interrupted" self. The one who wasn't that sure of herself, but had so many dreams and ideas. I like her!

Such a positive attitude...I love to hear things like this.  I helps to keep me hopeful that I will find myself eventually as well.  With kids still at home it is a challenge...5 more years till the youngest finishes high school. Till then I will live vicariously through friends like you when I feel like I am still tied up from doing what I really want to do...now if only I can figure out exactly what that is...LOL!

Hachi,

I am so excited and happy for you!  Good for you for pursuing your dreams and what you want to be doing.  As we know, life is way too short!  I'm not quite sure what the next chapter of my life will be.  When I was younger, my dream was to get married and raise a family.  And now...I don't even have a bucket list!  Maybe someday I'll figure it out.

In the meantime, I am so excited for you...both for the adventure and your guts and persistence to make it happen!!  Can't wait to hear all about it!!

This is really wonderful!  I am so envious and look forward to hearing about your travels!  I have a list but at this point  I find I simply don't have the confidence to make the plans, particularly faced with the prospect of travelling alone.  And I love that you are still you, it gives me hope I'm still in there somewhere :)

Thanks, everyone, I am inspired by the adventures of Gracelet, Nuggets, and Mac among others. I hope this is not just a one time deal for me, but truly the beginning of my life the way I want it to be....

Hachi, go girl!!!  That is a great post of positiveness! Haha, I can see that in the future 2 weeks will not suffice to fit in all of your 20-something personal wants for freedom....have great adventures , come back safely.

What a roller coaster. 2 weeks from today I will begin my trip. I am excited, but I didn't realize how sad it would also make me to do this  without him. He should be with me. I am really struggling to get through this, but it is weighing very heavy this morning.

Glad I will see some of my posse on Sunday to talk to me down from the ledge. I got this.... right?

Hachi, I am in awe of your courage. I do believe you have this. It seems understandable that feelings of wishing your husband was going with you would arise. I hope you find a way to carry his love with you to the new experiences that await you. I'm excited for you and will be interested in hearing about your trip when you return. You can do it!

Hugs to you...

• 2 weeks later...

So tomorrow afternoon I set off on my big adventure. I am resisting the incredible urge to take his passport. I know it is ridiculous but it is nagging me.

The last week was up and down. Still don't know if I have packed enough or too much. I know how to pack for a 2 week business trip. I can pack for a one week canoe trip, a trip to camp, a weekend at the beach. I can pack for a 5 day hike in the woods. This was altogether foreign to me and I don't really have a clue. Oh well. That's what shops are for, I suppose.

As long as I have my ID and money, I guess the world is my oyster! If you don't hear from me, don't worry. Only taking my phone and no idea what internet access I will have.

Will miss my regular fix of checking in with you all

X's and O's til I get back.

Grace and Nuggets, I hope I can live up to the "adventure bar" that you have set!

Guest TooSoon

SO excited for you!  All you need is that ID and a mind open to adventure!  I salute you and wish you the happiest of trails! 

have a wonderful adventure and can't wait to hear how it goes and see pictures

yes all you need is money and id and a sense of adventure which you have

gives me a little hope that one day I can plan an adventure also

take care

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...