Bad Widow Habits You Can't Get Rid Of

anniegirl

I was cleaning the fridge this morning and it occurred to me that prior to widowhood, nothing ever rotted in my fridge.

Food did not overstay by weeks (or months) and that once something clearly was never going to be eaten - it got tossed.

Husband is as guilty as I am.

I am attempting to correct this within the last year or so, but I still occasionally find myself without a single tupperware container in the drawer because they are all in the fridge in various states of science experiment.

And this issue also applies (probably more persistently) to the laundry basket.

When it was just child and me (and this started pre-widowhood because LH was in a care centre for the last year-ish of his life), dirty laundry was the stuff on the floor or in the laundry room. If it was in the basket, it was clean.

And the stuff in the basket eventually found itself staying there until I either wore it or I needed the basket.

I still find folding laundry to be the absolute last chore on my list. Husband will even fold laundry before I see the need to do it.

So, what habits did widowhood instill in you that continues to dog you years after the fact? Just curious. (And hoping that I am not the only one.)

Let's see....hmmm. Phone phobia, big time. Technology - I mean, I've installed Roku, a new tv, update our business web site, Quickbooks - yet I still feel like all my electronics are actually sentient beings out to get me. Wow...I really sound weird.

Opening bills and mail. It took more than 5 years but I am paying my utilities electronically every month now. Much less  stress than worrying about being turned off most of the time. Haven't really tackled the rest but that's big.

Oh no I think I have every bad habit everyone has described already and I still can add to it except I don't have phone phobia I have phone call avoidance.  I still have a problem with procrastination.  It is much better than it use to be, the worse procrastination is when it comes to chores that my husband always insistent he wanted to do. Is this the way we are always going to be now?

Is this the way we are always going to be now?

I don't know.

They are habits and any habit can be broken and new patterns established but that takes time, willingness and effort.

I am tackling the fridge thing because it's making me crazy but the laundry thing only makes my husband and daughter crazy - and not enough to compel either one to fold the clothes regularly either.

When a habit gets to the point where it's really making you unhappy, I think that's when we do something and not before.

I developed a multitude of bad habits as a caregiver and a widow that I have largely given up.

Dinner being a haphazard thing was one of them but now, we eat an evening meal together at the table quite religiously because I felt it was important enough to reestablish that.

Crazy amounts of Nicorette gum. About 3 times more than I chewed pre widowhood. Like I put 2 pieces in my mouth at a time now.

But I haven't picked back up smoking so I don't care. But it's getting expensive. No desire to try to wean myself off. It's one of my few vices I have left and I enjoy it.

I am now chronically late. I was the most punctual person in the world, but when widowhood and dealing with two small children hit, I started letting that slip and I haven't been able to redress it yet.

I developed a habit late in my DH's life (I think it still counts!), the last week of his life, I wasn't a widow, but it was very much right before (!) He was in the hospital and constantly texting and emailing me. I was, up until that week, the person you could never reach because I never checked my phone and half the time didn't know where it was. That week converted me to iPhone addict status, constantly checking and responding even when I am up at 2AM to go to the washroom. And I haven't been able to get rid of that habit.

My thing is making plans and canceling. Or saying I'll go somewhere and don't. It's particularly bad with my family for some reason, but friends too.  It's been 17 months and I'm still a chronic no show-er.

Talking to myself out loud. I've done it for so long at home I find myself doing it in public places without realizing until I get the "stares". Frequently even answering myself. I no longer care either.

Guest marian1953

oh gawd, where to start! I wake up feeling guilty about food in the fridge. i need to clean it out today and will make soup out of older veggies. Don't get me started on the laundry.

I used to be almost fanatically organized, I detested clutter.  Now, its everywhere; missed paying my cable and cell phone bills last month, cleaning has hit an all time low, and eating is more like a chore.  I think the chaos just mirrors my own inner feelings; still hovering in limbo after 3 years, still dealing with widow brain.  I actually not only talk to myself but to the cats and dogs "WHAT ARE YOU BARKING AT?"  as if they will answer. 

Guest marian1953

Candace, I am so happy to see you here! Yes, I despised clutter, too. Note the past tense. It was like some things went to hell in a hand-basket- some got better, others I seem to take a perverse pride in.

Guest sphoc

Chinese take-away. I really need to cook more. Of course, it would help if I could get my kitchen unpacked, too.

Guest marian1953

Well, I did make soup yesterday and used up a lot of older veggies. It turned out delicious. Now to start on the freezer?

Guest tableforone

So many bad habits...

I was always so organized and neat. My house sparkled and all my 'papers' were paid, filed...  My house is much less clean and my old organization is gone. In fact I am sitting here procrastinating the giant pile of paperwork I need to organize. I moved it out of my office thinking that if it was all over the kitchen table I might have to do something about it.

The grossest habit I developed is snacking in bed. How disgusting???!!! Until my husband died, I had never eaten a morsel of food in a bedroom in my life. Last week I was lying on my bed eating m+ms...guess I missed a couple. They became smushed chocolate smudges. I just shrugged my shoulders when new husband asked what it was. Thankfully he tolerates this gross habit.

At 7 and a half years, I think I may never be able to get organized again. The bed eating? I really should stop that though.

I don't understand what's wrong with You ladies! ;D

23350254-cartoon-cat-lipstick-and-looking-in-the-mirror.jpg

I'm Purr - Fect! How can I count the ways?

Often I wonder WHO that person is that is hiding in my body,

and I just feel like saying "UGGHH"!!

In solidarity! Meow!!

ATJ :) 

-Eating nothing but take out or chicken tenders , for some reason I am eating like a 15 year old stoner

not a vegtable in site

-staying in my old bedroom , we had just finished our new bedroom before he died and it has a sad looking futon in it right now

Just cant seem to make the move ...makes it more real

-throwing out tons of good food that I intended to eat or was given

Tableforone: The bed eating? I really should stop that though.

Mileage varies, I find it particularly comforting to eat in bed. Think of breakfast in bed, or being a child with a cold and a parent bringing soup. You do have to watch for crumbs. And evidently, chocolate!