Summer road trip

Wheelerswife

I suppose we all have our drug or drugs of choice for coping with our losses.  Since John died 16+ months ago, tearing my heart out of my chest, I've coped mostly with school and travel.  I don't know how I would have maintained any ability to focus if it were not for university classes that I went back to just a week and a half after John died.  But breaks from school leave me with too much time on my hands for ruminating, which hasn't felt particularly helpful.  So...I resort to traveling.  Last summer I spent many weeks on the road on a 25 state 7500 mile road trip.  This summer is probably my last summer to have the freedom to travel again.  Next summer I'll need to be working an internship and eventually I will finish my master's and I'll have to get a real job and start supporting myself fully again.

Tomorrow, I will hit the road from the center of the country heading east.  This trip will be different from last year in that I will head to the east coast, where my parents, siblings, first in-laws and my "home" widow crew live, but then in a couple of weeks, I am picking up my 14-year old niece and we will head west.  We will venture into places we've never been and try to see national parks and the beauty the geography has to offer.  I'll catch some widow friends along the way, but this trip will be more about places than people, and the opportunity to spend time with my niece.  Last year, I had my trip planned down, sometimes to the day and hour.  This trip will be more open ended.  I also plan to inter half of my second husband's ashes along side his late wife...on a bluff over the beach in far northern California.  I was last there with him about 2 1/2 weeks before he suddenly died...and we talked about how lovely the setting was that he chose for her...and that some day, half of him would be there, too.  It will be about 18 months since he died that I finally get his ashes there, but I'm going to do it.

I'll be checking in frequently here...as I've done for over 5 1/2 years.  Looking forward to seeing some good folks along the way.

Maureen

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good day on the road today...not too much driving, but breakfast with Photojunkie and dinner with swilson.  It was such an honor to spend time with you two.  Thanks to both of you for sharing stories and listening to mine! 

Hugs,

Maureen

1700 miles into the road trip. I'm on the Canadian border of New York and Vermont, visiting my folks and dodging roadblocks set up to try to catch two dangerous maximum security inmates who escaped the nearby prison this morning. On the NY side, just a half mile or so from the border. I will be here a few days before heading to Maine to see my sister and hopefully TFO. Wish me patience with my father...

Maureen.

2300+ miles into the trip.  Hanging out in Connecticut.  Staying with a wid friend, hoping to catch a bunch of folks while I'm in the area.  Drop me a line if you have the time to see me this week!  Not used to the humidity, but with air conditioning, I've been getting some much needed sleep.  I've spend some time with MIL 1 (meh...) and got my hair done by my old hairdresser.  (Yay!)

Today would have been my 23rd anniversary with my first husband, the 6th anniversary without him.  I went to the cemetery 2 days ago.  Sadly, we spent our last 2 anniversaries with him critically ill in ICU and it is those memories and the sense of fear that rise most strongly.

I'm missing John, too.  Fortunately, I can talk about him amongst wid friends.

Bago in PA next weekend, then off on the adventure part of the trip with my niece!

Maureen

3000 miles in. Last east coast stop today at the British Invasion bago. Over the last week or so I've been able to spend time with several east coast wid friends. Today I met a few more, as well as many wid kids. Rosie had a fun day, too....lots of kids (big and little) to give her attention on a day off from working. I am always honored to meet new wids and have them share their stories with me. Most of today's crowd I had met before, but new folks were inducted into the clan today and they are awesome people.

Tomorrow, I pick up my niece and start the next leg of this summer journey. I hope to experience the awesomeness of our country and find more gumption to keep on keeping on. Indiana, Wisconsin, South Dakoka....next destinations on the road.

Maureen

Well, I'm into phase 2 of the road trip.  Yesterday, my niece and I set out from Central New York and made it all the way past Chicago.  We are just inside the Wisconsin line, heading today to visit some dear friends who knew John through 3 wives. (Yeah, I was #3!) I love these people, who stuck with him through thick and thin and were such a presence in our lives even from a distance.  They knew John through and through and also loved the transformation they saw in him with me.

My dilemma for today...do I call my MIL and stop to visit her tomorrow?  She lives directly in my path of travel.  She harbors bitterness toward me...for stealing her son's heart and then not looking after his health.  Yeah...she blames me for his death.  I haven't spoken to her since the anniversary of his death in January, when she unleashed that tirade on me.

I'll ponder it a bit and make a decision later today, I guess.

Off we go!

Maureen

Maureen, in my opinion if someone can cause you emotional pain, that is someone you do not need to offer your time to. I do not speak to my MIL, and I am better emotionally for it. Just my two cents.

Well, I made a call to MIL this morning and she was in a decent mood.  I stopped by and actually took her out to lunch.  She has been unwell since January, hospitalized twice and in the ER 4 times, but seems to be doing better.  I don't think she truly understands what is wrong, but I think she has congestive heart failure and she has had some bad reactions to medications.  Her home, which has always been in some disarray, was worse than I'd ever seen it.  She isn't able to mow her lawn and do other yard work either.  She has had macular degeneration for many years and her license expired and her eye doctor won't sign for her to drive anymore.  She remains quite stubborn and resents her only remaining son's attempts to help her manage (he lives in Alaska).  She cancelled a service that calls her daily and only allows meals on wheels to deliver to her one day a week.  She honestly didn't look bad (for her) but I'm glad she is no longer my responsibility.  She complained a bout a myriad of things during the visit, but she didn't say anything nasty to me or about me!

Dutiful DIL has managed to squeak this one by.

Now in Minnesota...heading toward the Dakotas...or at least South Dakota.

Maureen