"Little Happies" thread- we start small to find a bit of joy again

canadiangirl

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I supervise a team at work and they were given an agressive productivity goal to get to leave early for the long weekend. They hit goal three hours early. Days like that where everyone really pulls together make me feel fulfilled as a leader.

I was having a really hard time sleeping ...looking at my clock it said 3 am

my cat Edith , not known for ever being a cuddlier, came in and slept tucked in my arms

was very brave of her as my black lab was cuddling on the other side

but black lab just lifted her head and let Edith stay there

I got mail today!

Long story short...mailbox rotted and started to lean. They stopped delivering my mail. I had to replace it. It was an ordeal to say the least. Mailbox is up, but I still need to landscape around it. They delivered my mail to me today though!!

Remember me posting about my dead truck battery? It just so happened the person that used to do payroll at our office retired and the office manager took over, and found a mistake she had made and they actually owed me $163 :)  So I was able to get the new battery for the truck (Jumping a vehicle 4 times a day and bugging your friends to do so is no fun!) and even got some groceries :)

Unexpectedly invited out to dinner tonight by my SIL. We took my two nephews to Chuck E. Cheese. Yeah, my "lil happy" isn't about the food;)

I had an excellent time of adult conversation with my SIL, and my nephews are the little lights of my life. I could seriously gobble them up they are so deliciously beautiful lil human beings. It startles me how overcome with the love I have for them.

Baylee

Guest nonesuch

The only nice, expensive watch I've ever owned was lost for nine days when I misplaced it instead of taking it directly to the jeweler for a new battery. While gathering up the trash for garbage day, I picked up a pair of pants from the blanket chest to throw them away and heard a soft "thunk."  This time it did go directly to the jeweler.

My first check deposited into the bank, I checked first thing this morning....what a relief! I can survive one more month, the check from this week will pay for next month, the next to pay some of me and BF's bills (yes, I moved in and am finally getting lots of rest and feel great), and the next to SAVE!!!  It has been hard, I have not told many of how hard it has been, but it has been an absolute struggle at times. I have had electricity and water turned off, had to borrow from 2 friends, my Dad paid my homeowner's insurance for over a year til I told him to stop last year, pay other family back too. I sold my furniture to get money during the baseball off season and worked two part time jobs.

I remember working at the retail store at Busch Stadium and having the thought that I should do this job the best I can so that things would work out so I would get the job I needed. I used to have this habit of drinking to go to sleep but after meeting this guy the need to do so left. Now I have to eat more to make up the difference, and that is another thing - I have an appetite again. Working helps. Got to go now to finish off the second week at my new job.

Don't give up, it gets better.

I got my first-ever pedicure today. My 16yo and 8yo did too. My 13yo got a manicure instead. All patriotic, all OPI. I enjoyed it, but my daughters didn't see too. They just liked getting their nails painted, not the whole process.

I got to be my "old self" again this weekend. Last year, my inline skating club had a big weekend event 1 week after Catherine died.  In fact, that event started on the day of her funeral. I was very flattered that so many people from the club came to either her wake or her funeral.

So, exactly one year later, I got to do the things I volunteered to do last year. These were things that I did before I met Catherine. I was outside, I was exercising and doing things that other people needed me to do. This was the best weekend I have had since she passed away.

Perhaps the best thing about it was that I was wearing Catherine's skates.  Yes, my wife and I had the same shoe size.  I needed a pair of skates that was broken-in but not broken-down, and hers fit that need perfectly. It made me happy to know that she was helping me do this one year after she died.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

I finally called Indiana University admissions office! After a brief conversation with them they redirected me to the admissions counselor in Health and Science. Unfortunately I got her answering service. I left a message and I'm looking forward to setting up an appointment to talk to her about taking some classes in the fall. I hope I'm financially able to now that I'm mentally ready. At least I think I am! I'm nervous, not going to lie. Big step.

During my brief conversation they told me that they aren't offering the degree that I want, but they will be by 2017. They're thinking I should be able to complete my general courses and other to go toward my degree in the meantime.

I'm finally posting here. :)

I've just about got my ducks lined up for Amsterdam. I've got almost all my packing done, my to do list sorted, and my school work all but finished. I've been anxious about it for awhile, but I realized last night that I'm actually EXCITED. This is happening! In less than 48 hours I'll be on my way to New York, then on to Amsterdam! W00T!! :D

I had the pleasure of hosting fellow widower Melissa'sGypsy (you guys remember him!) at my home this past weekend, and we attended two days of a music festival together.

A lot of music + great conversation + too much sun = a fantastic weekend!

That man is one of the reasons I think I am doing relatively well, and I will always love that guy for being there for me in some very dark, early days.

Guest TooSoon

In an act of uncharacteristic abandon/irresponsibility (?)/self-indulgence, I just bought a plane ticket to go see my honey in England in August while my daughter is at sleepaway camp.  I am going to miss both the dreaded, contentious, and mandatory annual faculty "retreat" (yesssss) AND the first day of the fall semester (syllabus pass out day) so I can go meet his parents and (shhhh) secretly go camping for 4 days at a music festival in Wales.  Second adolescence?  Maybe.  Doing what's right for me for once?  Absolutely. 

My oldest son and I talk a lot about my husband, sharing memories ect.  My youngest on the other hand hasn't shared anything since his passing.  Yesterday he shared a memory of one time when he hit a kid at school and how his father disciplined him.  He remembered and acted out everything his father did.  My husband could be full of drama that is for sure.  Very nice that my son was finally able to open up and do this, it filled my heart. 

Some of you know my story with my son. Due to his behavior over the past few years, the relationship between him and my daughter has been a little rocky.  He called her last week and invited her to dinner (I go to visit him after work on every other Wednesday when I can)

It was the first time he had called her in years, and the first time she had ever been to his house. It was really wonderful to be together there, and truly a milestone in their relationship.

74229f4c-2ae8-4a54-a4f3-7d6e9f2c12e6_zpszsyn8fwl.jpg

I had the pleasure of hosting fellow widower Melissa'sGypsy (you guys remember him!)

I wondered where he had been and how he was doing.  Sounds like he's in a pretty good spot :) Glad you guys had a good time.

It was really wonderful to be together there, and truly a milestone in their relationship.

Hachi, as a mom, you must be so happy to see this small step unfold.

My own little happy is that I received my first pair of Tretorns in about 15 years. They were my favourite walking around shoes in my twenties and I stopped being able to buy them here. For whatever reason on Sunday I thought out of nowhere "hey, I can probably buy them online!". And lo and behold, they are adorning my feet this very morning. Sometimes, for short bursts of time, money really can buy you happiness.