"Little Happies" thread- we start small to find a bit of joy again

canadiangirl

oh man when I was in high school I had Tretorns and LOVED them. Now that you've mentioned it I will have to go look for some online.

My little happy for the day is TGIF ... and since I was here till after 9 last night, I get to leave work at noon today. I think I'm gonna find a good spot and just read. Im exhausted and 4 hours to myself sounds like heaven.  OH and I earned $150 last night "catering" our work event, so that will be a nice little bonus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had a talk with my landlady. I have been renting this house for 11-1/2 years. I have a long history of paying the rent on time, up until this last year, since Kenneth died. This year, I had gotten behind a bit. I have been struggling and doing everything I can to try and catch up, but still owe about $1000. She just informed me that, if I can stick to the July 31st move out day, she will write off the other money I owe her. I cannot tell you what a relief it is to have this worry off of my shoulders.

Posted out grown bikes and other sports equipment on local bulletin.  SOLD within 24 hours.  Boys founds used bikes and had enough money to get them from their sales.  3 happy people in this house tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Carpet in the basement was cleaned yesterday.  I can finally move everything back. We've been dealing with this since ithe basement flooded on July 3rd. The man cleaning the carpet was very nice. Attractive too :) He said he could come back and clean the other side of the family room once we get everything put back.

I'm happy today. Hard to believe, but true. It's over 100F outside, my yard is finally mowed, and I didn't do it! Ha! I finally sucked it up and hired a very nice man to come cut the grass. It sounds silly, but I'm proud of myself, and my lawn looks soooo much better. (I'd been hacking at it with a me-powered push mower until the heat defeated me!) Plus, I'm actually a little ahead on school work-- at least until the weekend. :)

I went to Virginia with friends a couple weeks ago and bought myself a charm bracelet. It was the first money I spent on myself in probably 3 years. I also got a little charm to go on it that's a English double decker bus with a union jack on top (I LOVE all things brittish, and England was my favorite part of Busch Gardens that weekend).  That little jingle on my wrist every day makes me so happy, I LOVE it.  Cant explain it, but I'm excited about getting other charms for it, etc. and I have a charm on it that is angel wings with a pearl, in honor of Chad and I rub it between my fingers like a touchstone sometimes.  Sill I know but sometimes it really is the little things. 

I had to pick up a few things at walgreens and being a bit bad got a coke. When I got back to my office I stuck it in the freezer for a bit so it would be really cold. Ahhh best way to enjoy a coke. After about half was gone I saw the name on the coke was my husband's. It said "share a coke with M" Gave me a smile. It was a nice surprise and coke was our favorite soda so we had shared a great number of them. I took a picture and thought I would post a look what I got on facebook but quickly realized no, that would only result in a phone call from my sister in the next few days asking if I am all right and no response from anyone else.

Guest nonesuch

New to-to-me exterior door purchased at the ReStore will soon be installed. and it was dirt cheap.  It replaces the old one which the crazy cat peed on and rusted out. Bonus, it is wider than the old one, so furniture will be able to go through a doorway that was previously too narrow.

Crazy cat hasn't peed anywhere but the litter box in weeks.

Flavor of the month steered me away form real wooden doors (including the one with an etched window)by whispering that they may be warped. *sigh* such a pretty door that didn't come home with me.

I ate two cookies. I didn't need one cookie, let alone two, but they're soft chocolate cookies-- almost brownies, and I'm a sucker for a brownie. I found an inexpensive substitute for the Starbucks iced cinnamon chai latte I've become addicted to, and it's been a quiet day at work-- so quiet that I've gotten all my homework done for today (round one of three for the week). So-- cookies. Yay me.

I just came back from the best weekend I've had since Catherine died. It was another inline skating club weekend, but this time it was in New York City. I still don't know how many miles I skated on the city streets, but it was something like 15 miles in Manhattan, 20 miles in Brooklyn, 8 miles on Staten Island and 8 miles in Williamsburg.  My legs are sore - in a good way.

The weather was beautiful. I traveled with a good buddy of mine who has persistently helped me re-establish my social life. I also had plenty of friends with me from my Boston skate club who knew Catherine and understand what happened to her.  There were also a lot of great people from NYC and other cities.

It's been 13 months since Catherine died.  It has been, by my own choice, the loneliest year of my life. I am so much happier now than I was this time last year.  In that one small respect, I consider myself lucky.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

Let me tell you all what happened at work today. I work for a big company that has several large facilities in my state.  Today I went to a meeting at a different location and saw several of my old co-workers. I followed one guy to his office and learned that his office mate is a woman I've known for years.  She's a real sweetheart, and we were both happy to see each other.

So we both hugged and kissed each other - at work, in her office. I asked her how her children were.  She told me that her daughter just had a baby. I was astounded.  She showed me a baby picture on her computer screen.  My eyes went back and forth between the picture and her.  I said to her "well, you're cutest grandmother I've ever seen!".  I don't think anybody expected to hear me say that after being widowed for 13 months.

I think I'll be ready to start dating again soon.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

Being out on the soccer fields with my girls watching them play and co-coach was my 'happy' tonight. They were all smiling and having a great time. My 16yo offered to help our neighbor co-coach the boys middle school team. He enjoyed having her input, so he asked if she would also like to help co-coach his 3rd grade boys team. My 13yo helped by being the goalie during their scrimmage.

My 8yo was on another field practicing with her team. I graduated high school with her husband/wife coaches and one of the other mom's. It was like a small class reunion. After her practice was over I worked one on one with her while we waited for the boys practice to be over. I love having individual time with my girls. It doesn't happen very often. Great evening!

I really dislike grocery shopping. It is something that my husband and I always did together. We just made a day of it.  I felt like he was with me today in spirit. I have had smoothie straws on my list for a long time. I've just never been able to find them in the store. Anyway, I deleted them from my list today. Well as I went to grab a few bags of pretzels for my girls guess what is on the shelf right next to them? A package of smoothie straws. Ha! I said, "thanks Phil." I don't care if anyone heard me either.

As part of some dramatic and stressful work org changes, they are flattening out my department which means I am losing my direct reports. Luckily, it does not change my pay. So the bright side in this is one of my employees was told me I was the best manager he has ever had, which a year of those three years was post losing DH. I got warm fuzzies.