Pets...Pics...stories

rifatheroffour

Someone started a thread like this on the old-new board, I liked the idea so...

Some of us have children and some have fur babies and some of have both...share your fur baby stories and pictures...

This is Cali, a Siberian.  She is about 11 years old and has lived with us since she was 5.  My oldest son is allergic and this breed is hypoallergenic.  Because of the allergy we never thought we would have a cat and I think DW was relieved, she did not have pets growing up.  A mutual friend needed to find a new home for Cali, we met her and that was it, even DW fell in love.

20130908_085114small_zpsadlvu71t.jpg20130908_085017small_zpssjqqkfo4.jpg

Fal and Cali, she kept her company...20120819_174810small_zpsifudbiaj.jpg

Even after I brought home her ashes...I woke the next morning to find Cali curled up next to her.  She NEVER went on the dresser before...20130120_075558small_zpszyl2jqfl.jpg

Last one, Cali tucked in for a nap...

20131109_131028small_zps2kbtjhzb.jpg

Who's next?

Oh goodness. That picture of your sweet Cali kitten with curled up with your wife's ashes brought tears to my eyes. 

My Tim was very allergic to cats, so unfortunately for me - a life-long "cat person" - we  were never able to have a pet together.  Maybe if he had lived long enough to get past the "apartment life" phase of our lives together we would have eventually gotten dog, but we never had the chance. 

New guy, however, is also a life-long "cat person," so the plan is to rescue two kittens once we get all settled in to our new apartment.  I'm sure I'll have plenty of pictures to share once that happens :)

Molly the Boxer (5.5yrs) was Bruno's dog(actually the family dog, but he picked her and she loved him most).  Capote the French Bulldog (2.5 yrs) was rescued for my daughter to have a snuggly puppy after he died.  Brody the Beagle (6 yrs) is our latest addition to the family because, well, why not?

d08f2092896122c7a2deff40f4a56f2a_zps5a2caf24.jpg

PS - how do you make the pictures smaller??

Mangomom, try uploading your pics to tinypic.com-you can choose from several size variations on each pic you upload. Also, I think I remember Bear recommended shrinkpictures.com on another thread, so you may want to give that one a whirl.

Hope this helps,

Baylee

CP always grew up around dogs, in fact when I lived in his family's house in the UK they had 5!! They lived in a country area and most of them had been working dogs, but absolute beloved pets as well. When he moved over to Australia to be with me there seemed to be something missing from his happiness puzzle. He started dropping hints about getting a puppy, but would always talk himself out of it. As a joke, he would send me pics of puppies all the time with messages like, "Hi Mummy!" One weekend, I had to fly from our remote area to the city for work. I asked him if he wanted me to bring back anything. He replied, "A dog." He was still joking of course, besides I only had a couple of hours spare in my weekend. On the Sunday, in my couple of hours spare, I went out for breakfast with a couple of friends. I told them how CP had jokingly been asking for a dog, and how he had kept sending me pictures. My friends were like, well let's just go for a look. We went to a few pet shops... Nope... Nope... None of them had what he wanted. We decided to give one last pet shop a go... And there was the perfect little puppy. I just had to have her!! The issue was, my flight back was happening really soon. The pet shop took sooo long. They were lecturing me on how to look after her properly, what to do if this happens, what to do if that happens... I was just like HURRY UP!!! We booked her onto the flight I was on, jumped in the car and raced to the airport. Oh no. Too late. I only just made it in time but the puppy had to stay behind. I asked my friend to look after her for the afternoon while I got someone from my family to pick her up. To my absolute shock, horror and disgust, my friend refused. Yep, that's right, the friend who convinced me to get the puppy refused to look after her for the afternoon. I shoved the puppy crate in her hand and said TAKE HER! And ran onto the plane. (By the way it was the last flight of the day and work had paid for it, not sure how it would have gone down if I said I missed the flight because I decided to buy a puppy). When I got off the plane on the other end I had all these abusive messages from my 'friend'. So my other friend's mother, who I had never met before, offered to take her for a couple of hours while my sister drove to pick her up. All the way I had to pretend to be happy and stress free as CP came and picked me up. The next day my sister dropped the puppy onto a flight. I told CP I had to go to a meeting for work but instead drove to the airport to get her... When I returned CP was sooooo shocked. He was like, "Oh my god! What have you done?!" He used to joke around and say I was crazy and just surprised him. But he loved her. Absolutely loved her. In fact I joke I got demoted to second place because of her. He used to take her to work with him. Take her to the beach. Walk twice a day with her. Trained her everyday. He was besotted. She was the missing puzzle piece. From that day on he was happy. Well and truly happy. She turns 1 next week, on the 19th. Her name is Willow. And she was the last one to hug her daddy that day. Here she is giving her dad's beard a nibble.

IMG_2899.thumb.jpg.2c7a9911484ed6c8d1d81228e9f27b8c.jpg

Kenneth used to get his days and nights mixed up.  He would sleep during the day, then stay up all night.  I cannot tell you how often he would wake me up in the middle of the night, because he was talking to, or playing with these two:

1798547_694376487249214_2030035625_n.jpg

Boo - Our aptly named Pit Bull, who goes against the "fierce" stereotype and is afraid of everything.  She also likes rearranging couch cushions, for her own personal comfort.

374106_374108852609314_1175640826_n.jpg

Vinnie - Our Pug has no respect for personal boundaries.  If you sit down anywhere near him, expect him to jump in your lap and lick your face.  I tried to teach him better, really, I did.

I got my pup on 2002. My first conversation with j was about my dog. They met and J told me he really liked my pup. I said, "give it time. You'll fall in love with him". Later J told me I now understand what you meant by that statement. J was so in love with my dog. He was so good to him. No one before or after J has even come close to being so good to my dog. It kinda makes me sad. This is a picture of J login on my dog. After J died, my dog thought he heard J's car and his ears would perk up and he would head to the door (as he did when J was alive. I always knew J was coming over, because my dog would hear his car, get excited and head to the front door) That was really hard when I was actively grieving.

Since many have rescues I thought I would post this for those who have adopted and those who are considering. If you have the time and dedication they give so much love and companionship. My little girl rescued me in my darkest of days.

I RESCUED A HUMAN TODAY by Janine Allen

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid. As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the overworked shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them. As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someones life. She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well. Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes. I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Questions

I've got 2 cats (Snake & Patches) & 17 fish (all platies).

I've had both cats since birth (Snake is actually Patches's mother)

Relatively new to fishkeeping though. It's a hobby I acquired about 2 yrs ago.

All are a joy to have around & I need them every bit as much as they need me.

Patches3.JPG.580edcb0e4f6dbbad43086d692b8ab3c.JPG