Well we are moving!

Sugarbell

As some of you know I have wrestled with this for years....Now, I am teaching as a long term sub at our high school ( grades 7-12 only 600 students) and it was the final straw. I can't send  my kids to this high school for 6 years. The kids here (almost all of them ) have a hard time even making a 22 on the ACT (that's the min score needed for this state scholarship)--Our valedictorian last year couldn't get a 22!!...The school is safe...but very low standards academically. My oldest is already bored..and when he's bored he's going to get in trouble. Sports are great...but that is the ONLY priority here.

I love my neighborhood and home..low cost of living..but it's not enough. I can't sacrifice my kids future.

Had a family meeting..we are moving back to the town I was raised in. It's an hour south of here. Bigger town...larger high school..I have talked to a few teachers and the counselor I went to high school with..Kids are tracked starting in 6th grade based on test scores....13 Advanced Placement classes..Large marching band, theatre/dance dept at high school..great studio for my daughter. It's not a football town (the team won one game this year)--But has always been known state wide as a top baseball program which is what my boys play. I will have my full certification active by summer so I can apply for teaching jobs down there...I can sub there if I have to for awhile (same money per day as here-the state keeps it the same for subs)--My folks are there to help with shuffling the kids if needed. NG-is the same distance whether I stay here or move...Just different driving routes.

I have a realtor/friend who is helping me get the house ready..I have a contractor coming because we need major improvements if its going to sell quick. I am not listing it until April. I want the kids to finish out the year here. I am not telling many people until the house goes on the market. Houses are more pricey in my childhood hometown I know...but I am willing to get something smaller if needed...or live out in the country (its cheaper)--for the benefits.

My oldest son I can tell is relieved..My younger two don't care either way. They know people in my hometown from being down there a good bit over the years. It's not a strange territory to them. Oh and the high school has the number 1 archery and rifle shooting team in the East. All my kids shoot archery.

I know this is the right decision. I have a lot of work to do this winter on the house...And its going to be a fair amount of $$$ to get it ready to sell.  :) :) :)

Big decision but it sure sounds like the right one for good reasons.  Went through selling my house last spring for different but similar reasons.  The kids were not going to be changing schools but it all had to do with their future education.  Financially I could not maintain the mortgage, maintenance,  and utilities and save for their college education.  Best decision I've made and now renting, debt free, and kids have learned a lot from this experience.  Be prepared for a lot of elbow grease and hard work to get the house on the market but it paid off for me by getting more than I expected.  Good Luck with the process and feeling your sense of relief that the decision has been made. 

Best wishes to you!  I'm at the tail end of repairs, decluttering, and packing after selling my house and it has been a lot of work but well worth it.  We actually moved here to ensure both my girls received an excellent education and it was the best decision we ever made in our lives.  It absolutely set our kids up for much success in their chosen careers.  I hate to think how different their lives would have been had we stayed put and had them attend schools that were just not up to par.  Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

Thanks everyone.

The contractor who built our home 26 years ago still does contracting and is coming out Monday.

It's going to take major elbow grease too. My hope is it seeks quickly so we have the summer to get situated. Have been on the phone with high school friends who still live in the area. Seven elementary schools feed into the middle and high school. 3 are national blue ribbon elementary schools so am hoping to find a place in those areas. If house doesn't sell by Aigust-we will stay in my folks basement till it sells so the kids can start school.

I've been good about keeping contact with hometown people. But I haven't lived there in. 25 years. If it was just me-I would head to the mountains-but undoubtedly this is the best place for my kids. It's one of the top 8 public high schools in the state.

And I do worry about them getting adjusted. I know if won't be all roses and lollipops and we will have bumps in the road-but if I don't get them outta here I will regret it probably for the rest of my life. Our high school is so bad...I can't even elaborate on how bad it is because it's embarrassing. But we are great in single A sports (the smallest high school division) and that's all the parents care about.

I know their Dad would totally want me to do this. He was much brighter than me and took all high level high school courses. My oldest in particular has to be challenged...because his mind is always going and I am already seeing a decline in motivation.