"So what's new?" - a whine; a rant; a big ole I just can't

Mrskro

So I'm sitting here having a beer at 1:48 (no judgement) because I just can't anymore. 

I've had three I'm sure well meaning phone calls this week from two of my aunts and a friend.  And they all went the same way ... so what's new?  I'm beginning to hate this question as much as I hate when people tell me that I'm strong.  I think "what's new" has replaced the early "how are you doing?" with the head tilt, at 2 years out.

I hear it in their tones, that they want some magic answer, that something, and I hear it to be someone is new.  That life is great again, I don't know.

Well no there is absolutely nothing new!  I'm a single mother, with no family (my parents and in-laws have all passed away) and my only BIL lives in England; working full time, raising two busy teens, and I work from home (which 99% of the time is great, meeting new people is the downside).  Both kids play hockey, the boy plays rugby, they both need 40 hours of volunteer time to graduate; so they run a tyke hockey team (6 year old kids),  the girl works part-time.  I have no time for anything new! 

You know what's new, DD got her beginners driver license and I'm trying to teach her how to drive a manual jeep!  Which is resulting in tears, usually mine!  I was going to start a thread on that too, but might as well put it all in one.  I drive my DH's jeep, it was brand new when he died.  158 km.  I like his jeep, I don't want to get rid of it.  But it's manual and if one more DGI tells me to trade it for a standard so it's easier for DD I might just lose my shit.    And even if I trade it, how does that help?  We are still a 1 car household with 2 drivers. 

I'm just going to turn my phone off and drink my beer.

There's nothing wrong with drinking a beer at anytime! Especially while you work at home  ;)

Maybe they just don't know what to say...and I agree annoying! There's times when I just want to tell people to STFU just 'cuz. LOL! You don't need to explain it to them as they probably wouldn't understand if you did anyway 'cuz they just don't get it!

Drink one for me!

Hi Mrskro,

I hope you are feeling better and enjoying your beer after venting out. I feel something like that when at night 2AM had to put dishwasher or make things ready for next day morning etc. Never did any of those work in my life as was a spoiled kid and then husband. My wife was driving a Buick SUV and I have a sedan. Not sure what to do with 2 vehicles but sometimes feel need both as small one is good at gas (I drive 100+ Km per day) and bigger one is gas guzzler. Paying insurance for both and specially when my boy is uni and one vehicle automatically goes on his name. Anyways sorry took over your thought to vent out.

Will go out and look for a beer else will settle with coffee till evening.

Manoj

Ha bdean, I was going to say drink one for me, but that could spiral out of control if she drank one for everybody.

Mrskro, sometimes I get this multiple times daily- 'Whatcha doin?' why don't they just give me a stack of daily production sheets and I just send them out at the end of the month? And if I need to talk there's no one there or they want to tell me how screwed up I am. Lately they've been on me to get a new van, or at least get a new inspection sticker on mine. But I don't want to replace the windshield, WE cracked it. And it only expired 9/14.Enjoy the brew!

When I get that general intro to a conversation, or anything else I know either they don't really want the answer to or I don't want to talk about, I tend to answer something brief, like "not much," and then turn the talk around to them. Frequently followed by me zoning out and doing other stuff (scrolling thru websites, looking up ideas for dinner or whatnot...), while throwing in an appropriately- hopefully- timed "uh uh... yeah....I bet...," until they come up for air.  Then, oh my- look at the Time! I've got this thing I almost forgot about- shoot, better run!

A beer would go well with That!  :D

OMG, I didn't realize that they switch it up from "how are you" to "what's new."  I hated that "how are you" comment, it was like fingernails going down a chalkboard.

One of my friend's is separating from her husband, one of her complaints is she does everything.  Woman has no clue, what being a solo parent is but then again she really isn't going to be a solo parent.  There is my rant of the day.

I would you join you in a glass of wine, but just broke the corkscrew in the cork....lol. Not sure how that even happened, but had to laugh.

I was really ready for a glass of wine with dinner after spending the afternoon on the phone with the Genius Bar rep to guide me through backing up the computer (which hadn't happened in over 200 days since my husband died).  I also needed guidance with upgrading my phone that I bought for Christmas.  After jumping through all the hoops with Apple, I called my service provider for service, but found out that I couldn't upgrade my device until the service is changed over to my name (even though I'm an authorized user on the account).

I'm almost there and will follow up with them in person tomorrow.  At least I have an open bottle of Bulleit (with ginger ale) on hand to enjoy after a long day.  I feel like I'm in grad school.  This is all such a learning curve.

So that's what's new with me, should any of my friends ask.  :-)