Check In

This section is too quiet. I realize the move was quite something to deal with, but please just let us know you are here. Members are trying to get everybody moved, so a check in would be helpful.

Thanks, and I am so sorry YWBB let you down...

I've been wondering about this too... I know we have newbies, somewhere between here and the proboards forum. Climb onto the raft, guys-- here's a hand. Promise we won't let you down. ((((HUGS))))

hola! I'm almost at 6 months, but pretty sure I was one of the last groups of people to be approved (in December). I worry a lot of people would have been waiting to be approved after signing up and have missed the boat to this new board...

I'm here! I'm holding on to the raft with every last bit of my strength.

I don't want to speak for other new widdas, but for me it's daunting to consider creating a new thread. I guess I feel like, since most of you who are long-timers and have been there, done that, you've seen the same topics over and over and over.  I can't possibly bring anything new/original to the conversation.

I WILL speak for the others, though, when I say THANK YOU for being here for us and letting us know that it is possible to move through the grief, in our own time and our own way.

Jessica

I don't want to speak for other new widdas, but for me it's daunting to consider creating a new thread. I guess I feel like, since most of you who are long-timers and have been there, done that, you've seen the same topics over and over and over.  I can't possibly bring anything new/original to the conversation.

Go ahead and post away!  We all went through newbie status before you and asked the same questions and ranted about the same frustrations.  We get it!  I know there are newer widows out there and I hope they find this place and can feel what we all felt when we got here...someone else understands!  We don't have to do it alone.

Ask about anything you want.  It is why this place exists.

Maureen

I'll hang onto this raft until my knuckles turn white. 6 months out for me this week, but not ready to be weaned off the nourishment I receive from everyone. Off topic - I love the capital W logo formed by a two handed pinky swear, does anyone know if it has meaning or am I just over thinking it?

I'm here! I'm holding on to the raft with every last bit of my strength.

I WILL speak for the others, though, when I say THANK YOU for being here for us and letting us know that it is possible to move through the grief, in our own time and our own way.

Jessica

To echo Maureen, don't let it feel daunting to start a new thread. Put something out there and people will respond. I felt the same way when I first joined and finally figured oh screw it, I need to talk about what I am feeling. I am glad I did because without fail, someone was always there to make me feel supported and even when there was no advice, I always knew I was heard. We all need each other.

I guess I feel like, since most of you who are long-timers and have been there, done that, you've seen the same topics over and over and over.  I can't possibly bring anything new/original to the conversation.

It's not about saying something original - it's about saying what you need to say, reading what you need to read, getting and giving the support you need. 

Hello,

Checking in. I am five months and two days out. Bob. Kidney cancer. 51. Horrific death that I can't stop reliving. I was on the YWBB and must have been one of the last to get approved. I read every day and wouldn't still be here without you all, but struggle to post. Despite being a writer, I find that I can't articulate my feelings in words. Truly ironic. I also can't read books, which has been my escape since I was a child. At work, I wish it were the weekend. On weekends, I wish I were at work. I can't sleep much and must have the six-hour version of Pride & Prejudice playing on my iPad every night to get any rest. Let me add my tremendous gratitude that this place exists and my even greater sorrow that we are all here.

mixelated...welcome to the club that nobody wants to join. Sadly, the price of admission is terribly high.  But this is an amazing group of people and I encourage you to connect with those who are in your time frame (they understand and remember best what it is like to be where you are) and anyone else, no matter how far out, if something about them resonates with you.  Come here, read, vent, talk about whatever it is that moves you.  It is still early for you and the going isn't easy.  This group of people has been a backbone of support for me through the loss of not one, but two husbands, and I'm not sure what I would have done without them.''

Maureen

I lost my eternal companion on December 24, 2014, Christmas will never be the same again. The last 12 weeks have been extremely difficult, but at the same time have also been hopeful.  Sue was only 35 when she passed away.  I celebrated her 36th birthday on February 10th with Roses and Balloons and our 6th Anniversary on March 8th with more of both.  Sue was/is absolutely everything to me.  I never knew how emotionally weak I was, this journey is very difficult. I find I'm struggling the most with the physical loss, we did everything together including holding hands in bed before we feel asleep.  Everyday I would massage her back and feet for her.  I feel so at loss without being able to touch her.  How do you get past what makes us human? We are physical.

(((((HUGS))))) I am so, so sorry. This journey is by far the most difficult thing I've ever had to do-- I expect most of us would say the same. Please keep talking-- it does help, and you're in the right place.

The loss of physical touch is huge, and frankly, I'm still trying to cope with it. I think that's why I'm so free with my (((hugs)))) on the board; I no longer get many in real life. My dh and I were always touching-- just sitting beside each other, holding hands in the car, skin to skin in bed (sorry, TMI). Widowhood results in enormous oxytocin deprivation-- you're right, we're human-- we're primates, and we're hard-wired to need touch. That need for connection, for pair-bonding, is programmed into our DNA.

Get past? If I find out, I'll let you know. Meanwhile... hold on. Talk, rant, cry. I'm so very sorry you had to join us.

I don't think we can ever have TMI. We are all in the same boat, and as you said we need to be able to communicate, however we need to do that.  I received some advice/observation today from Justin. He said that "growing your life will help you move around the grief" This meant a lot because I'm actually living my life thru grief and honoring Sue as well. I'm now going to school, again, to obtain my Ph.D. in Psychology with an emphasis is Grief Education and Counseling.  I've found the more I study and talk to others I feel her presence even stronger.  I've even been asked by a college here in town to come and talk to some of their classes about grief.  I still constantly think about Sue every minute of my day, but I've learned to use this as a source of strength. I'm studying a lot about grief and have learned we all experience it differently and they're really no stages you go thru.  Every feeling you have is yours, how you cope with it is the key.  Most days I feel completely alone, but I force myself to go out to be around people. Now that I've found all of you hopefully some of that alone feeling will decrease. Thank you for this amazing forum

Despite being a writer, I find that I can't articulate my feelings in words. Truly ironic. I also can't read books, which has been my escape since I was a child.

That happened to me, too. You might have to work at it, but it comes back to varying degrees. Be gentle with yourself.

I know that one. Kinda wish this board had a chat/voice chat. I lost my husband 12/19/2015. Sometimes I can't breathe - hurts to breathe. Sometimes gulping, sometimes like I just can't draw breath. Hang in there. Hold on to something of hers.

Do you have a support group in your area?

Just need someone to talk to.  Being alone is so very difficult. Today it feels like the world is crashing down on me and I can't breathe.  How I wish Sue was here. :(

Kinda wish this board had a chat/voice chat.

We do have chat.  Go to the General Forum, and you will find a thread titled "Chat Room Information", pinned to the top of the board, second one down.  Follow the instructions, and it will get you there.