12 years

Ginger

Well another sadiversary is here. As always, it is hard to believe that it has been twelve year since Jim?s passing. In some ways it seems like forever since the last time I saw him, even if the last ten months of our lives together were filled with doctor appointments and many trips in and out of hospitals. At other times it seems like only yesterday that we were talking and hoping that he would be able to get a transplant and we could return to a more normal, happy life. Unfortunately that was not meant to be.

With that said, out of necessity, I have adjusted to a new ?normal? quite a while ago.  I haven?t found another person to share my life with and at times it can still be lonely without a partner, but life can still be good in many ways. It isn?t always easy by any means, but it is ok most of the time.

I think it is key to figure out who I am and how to live life alone and still be happy. I?m still working on that, but I have survived many years now not recoupled and, believe it or not, I?m still hopeful that there will be a chance that I will still find someone to share my life with. And if that doesn?t happen, well, I will deal with that too. I am not normally an optimistic person but leaving myself open to new possibilities is key. Hope has to be part of my vocabulary, although my pessimism does still creep in from time to time. There, of course, are still challenges to living life alone, but living in the past without trying to move forward, to me, would not be respectful to Jim and my life together. Of course that is just how I think about things that have happened and how I have chosen to deal with my life.

As in years past on the sadiversary, I came here to post.  I promised myself, since the beginning, that Jim would not be forgotten. (not that I could ever forget)  As time go by, there are less people in my life that talk about him anymore to keep the memories alive. I know that this board is one place that I can still come to where people will understand my need to do this. And hopefully acknowledge this post and Jim?s life.  So?.

Jim, you will always hold a special place in my heart and mind. I will always love you and remember our life together. I miss you.

Remembering with love, YHB,

Ginger

Guest look2thesky

Your post is Beautiful.

I also 5 years out remain single, and have found personal peace with living alone.

I tried at a few relationships but it was never the same.

The happiness I shared with my Wife was beyond description, and I never tried to compare anyone else to Her.

She was a showstopper. A legacy complete. And I'm good with that.

The words you write about your husband.

Ditto.

Ginger-I know every year you came to "remember him" as I remember from YWBB.  At almost seven years out I understand it about people not sharing about him much anymore. Would love to "hear" some stories of your and Jim's life together if you care to share.  Twelve years....

Very touching post, Ginger. I can relate in so many ways. At 3-1/2 years out, it seems like R was never here. Yet I remember and miss R terribly. I have not dated. I have two small kids and a lot on my plate. I have come to terms that I may be alone the rest of my life and I feel OK with it. My life with R and love for him was truly rich. It seems irreplaceable. Here is to you, Jim and your love for each other.

Eileen

I just wanted to thank all of you that responded to my post and for the virtual hugs that are always welcome. Some of you I've gotten to know personally along this journey and some I haven't had the pleasure to meet in person. It is always nice to know that people still care and that I can still come here to mark Jim's passing and to acknowledge the life we shared together and that it will never be forgotten.

My thanks and gratitude and hugs back to all of you.

Ginger

thank you so much for this. I am at 4.5 years and I struggle immensely with the idea of never finding someone to share my life with. So to hear you speak realistically yet serenely about 12 years on it very touching and helpful.

Ginger, you're post gives me hope to my future.  It's 2 years for me and I wonder how I'll be different in 12 years.  I also haven't "recoupled."  I'm thinking that I was lucky once to have the man of my dreams.    I'm hoping in 12 years I can be hopeful and have a joyful life. 

Thinking of you and your Jim today.  Wishing you many more years of being satisfied, joyful, and hopeful for your future.