My Grandma is Dying

Alexswife

I've been trying to post an update but my laptop has been acting crazy so I couldn't.

The night after we did all of the singing and praying we went to see my grandma and she seemed to be improving. She was carrying on small conversations and seemed to comprehend everything she was talking about. Although she was screaming out in pain because of her head and her hip where she had surgery.

Then we went Friday night and she seemed even better. She talked the whole time we were there.  We didn't make it to see her yesterday but the lady she is staying with said she ate a whole turkey sandwich for lunch yesterday. Which is impressive because all she has been eating is mashed up food because she can't swallow well.

The doctors told my parents that if her brain stopped bleeding she could survive this. I am cautiously optimistic that maybe it has stopped and that is why she is improving. I know that God is able to heal and to bring her off of this death bed but I don't want to get my hopes up only to have her get worse again.

It has been such a long emotional week. Thanks again for all of your support.

Thank you for the update, AW. I've been thinking about you and your family. I'll keep holding your Grandma and you/your family in my thoughts and sending my hopes that she may continue to recover. I also hope they can get her pain managed so she is more comfortable. Tight, tight hugs...

• 2 months later...

After a long, painful battle my sweet grandma passed away last night. We knew the end was near and I had told everyone that I didn't want to be there when it happened. I was there, it was the most peaceful thing I have ever witnessed. If anyone was ever ready to go home, she was. Our hearts are so broken though, especially my dads.

Hugs to you, Alexswife, and your dad and other family as well.  I'm glad you had some more time with your grandmother before she passed away.  I know she was and always will be very precious to you.  The next few days will probably be a whirlwind, and I hope you get through them without too much overwhelm.

Maureen

Today is the day we bury my sweet grandma. God has allowed me to be strong in front of my dad so I can take care of him but a soon as I hit the bed I fall apart. Mostly because she's gone and I just long to talk to her but also because of the memories this while thing is bringing back from Alex's funeral.

Last night we left the funeral home for the last time. I remember how I felt when it was the day for Alex, when I knew the next day would be the lat day I would ever see his earthly body. It's the most heartbreaking, lonely feeling. Last night my dad was feeling the same way about his mom. My heart is so broken for him.

Please pray and remember us as we move through this difficult day and in the days to come. I know tomorrow will be the saddest day yet. The people will be gone and reality will set in.