Estranged from family

MissingSquish

I have finally had enough with my family's drama, antics and abuse. A dinner out with my parents on Friday turned extremely nasty. My dad admitted he stopped inviting me to events with my brothers and their wives because "it is all couples and it is not appropriate for you to attend". When I said that they were the only family I had, and that I didn't have a husband any longer he said "maybe you should find a husband then".  Of course, Friday was the day before my wedding anniversary.

Unfortunately, my mom nastily said the same thing to me about needing to find a new husband about 6 months back.  I finally told my dad that I never wanted to speak with him or my mother ever again and to not contact me.

My relationship with my parents has always been extremely rocky, but Squish and my uncle always were the liaison between me and them.  I never wanted to make my uncle choose sides between myself and my parents, so I felt obligated to at least try to maintain a relationship with my parents because of him.

Now that Squish and my uncle are both gone, there's nothing more to fight for.  Unsurprisingly, my brothers have taken my parent's side.  My sister and I are still on fairly good terms, so I am fortunate to have that.

I have had little anxiety over this decision to cut all ties, in fact, for the most part, I have been really calm lately. I wasn't even sad on my wedding anniversary, just nostalgic for a life I am glad I no longer live.

Wow...just wow. All I can say is, "WTF?" This is so far out of what is appropriate that I can't even make a comment without using copious amounts of profanity. I am so sorry you have to deal with such selfish people. This sounds like a plot in a Lifetime Network movie.

I'm not really a touchy-feely type, but sending you a virtual hug right now. Sounds like you could use one.

Good for you that recognized you don't have to keep an unhealthy relationship going just because of DNA.  It sucks, I stopped talking to my Dad when I was 15, there was nothing positive in the relationship and way too much negative cost to me. 

I'm glad you have your sister, keep surrounding yourself with positive people!

like it was said before ...Wow

I bet releasing these people will be a good thing for you

keeping touch with your sister is great

surrounding yourself with people who really care is always the best

I give you huge credit for first of all staying through that dinner

and not using any foul language or angry words to your family

MissingSquish, what TwistedMensa said.  I am so sorry for your estrangement; you don't need this on top of all the other loss.  The silver lining here for me looking in as a stranger is that from your posts you clearly have such a strong character and outlook DESPITE your experience with your parents.  DNA is not determinative! 

It's always nice when people that have never lost a spouse tell you how you should feel or react. I don't blame you for walking away from them right now. Hopefully they will realize how unreasonable they are being.

My mom died 3 months before my husband.  My dad and brother will talk about my mom but hardly ever mention Phil. No support for me or my daughters at all. They're both self absorbed.

Wow, how shockingly insensitive and naive (not to mention laughable) to think a replacement spouse fixes everything.  I believe that ties must be cut or minimally distance needs to be put between you and anyone who continually brings pain into your life.  Take care of yourself!

WOW MS,

That is SO awful. I have an estranged relationship with my in-laws, but my family are (for the most part) supportive. I would never dream of hearing those types of comments. My Dad, especially, was always in my corner. He is not here with us any longer (we lost him in 2012, so he did not get to see my walk down the aisle again). But whatever I had chosen, they would have supported me.

That just sucks that the people who brought you into this world are treating you so poorly! You did the right thing to tell them to get lost. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

BIG HUGS,

Donna