Sheryl Sandberg joins our ranks

Even before my husband died, I could NEVER understand why people made such a HUGE deal when celebrities died. Too many people "want" to be on tv.They are a dime a dozen. The ones who are, it doesn't make them "good" people. They died, just like countless others. What makes them better than the person helping others on their free time? The fact that they have money, gossip, luxurious lifestyles? They didn't do anything for me, or would have any care or shed tears if I died.

I think its like a surprise that even celebrity people can have death and tragedy...which means it can certainly happen to everyone else. Of course we already know this. When I saw the story my thought was about that moment when I realized my perfect life was over and how I was hysterically crying in the hospital screaming no it can't be, it can't be. I don't want anyone famous or not to have that moment, its so horrible. It was two years yesterday for me so it's been on my mind a lot.

Guest Kamcho

Interesting that the author talks about widowhood, child rearing and the career challenges widowed moms face. It's sad that it's still an issue.

She is fortunate to have a career. Money does not make this road easier, but it does buy food and shelter, heat and the alleviation of financial stress.

Best wishes to her as she joins our group and navigates her journey.

When celebs are widowed, I often wonder if they'd ever engage in boards like this. I can't imagine not having my widowed online community for support. To not be able to engage and participate fully because of the fear of snooping eyes must be incredibly difficult. The tabloids can be a bitch.

All very sad.

I have read her book "Lean In" and while I didn't entirely agree with her message in that book, I truly respected where she was coming from. It's extremely hard being in an industry that is so male dominated as she is, and I am curious to see if her peers and her employer gives her the space and room in which to grieve.

The way that Facebook treats her career as a result of her loss could set precedent for other tech companies to follow, and it might trickle down to everyone else.  While I am never happy to see someone join our ranks, higher profile people that do have a potential opportunity to make things easier for us.

Guest TooSoon

My thoughts exactly, MS.  I did not completely agree with Lean In either but the series she and Adam Grant wrote in the NYT Op-Ed section was excellent.  It has always seemed to me her intentions are in the right place.    And at the very least it is a woman using her position of power to empower other women.  Either way, grief is grief.  She might be the COO of Facebook but she's a human being first, just like the rest of us. 

Guest IronBear

Her husband died by falling off a treadmill???

This is why I do no cardio.

Prayers sent.

I think being a high profile person would add another element to grieving.  Everything you do would be in the spotlight.  Is she grieving "too fast", "too slow", show "enough emotion", "too much emotion", and on and on.  And when/if the person steps out socially, that will be under the microscope as well.

The article below, relating to this loss is actually pretty informative and well written:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/technology/article/Tech-exec-s-loss-raises-question-How-to-grieve-6248625.php

• 4 weeks later...

It's extremely sad to read what she wrote because I was very much in the same position, and as terrible as it sounds, the 30-day mark was actually when things started getting worse for me because the shock had worn off.  At that point in my grieving I felt a bravado that as bad as things were, I could charge through the grief, learn more about myself, and perhaps help others as well.  And maybe I did, but it sure as hell was a longer and harder process than I thought it would be, and I imagine it will be for her as well.  I suppose there are some lessons in life that you have to learn the hard way.

One thing that made me sad was when she talked about all of the help and support and how people promised to be there for her and her children.  Unfortunately many of us have learned that the help disappears and the people you thought you could count on do too.  But she doesn't need to know that now.

Here's the link again, in case you didn't see it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sheryl-sandberg/choosing-life-and-finding-meaning-30-days-after-daves-tragic-death_b_7503266.html?utm_hp_ref=healthy-living&ir=Healthy%20Living

When I saw this news, I did think to myself that "Lean In" was going to get blown apart.  This is a raw and honest piece. 

I read her post on facebook and it brought me very close to tears.  As I was reading, a bunch of colleagues were celebrating engagement drinks for one of the girls right next to my desk.  I didn't partake, pretending I had too much work.  I had to leg it out of the office and I haven't had to do that in a long time. 

For me, aside from relating to pretty much everything she wrote, the most pertinent thing she said was quoting her rabbi: "Let me not die while I am still alive."

I admire her ability to be so articulate just a month after her husband's passing.  I could barely string a sentence together.

Sometimes, I wonder too if she's reading this board (hello Sheryl!)