Before or after?

Do you play this horrible mind game?

Did I have this shirt before or after? (translation: did he see me in this shirt?)

Did this song come out before or after?  (translation: he would have liked this song.)

....and on and on and on.

Oh, yes. All the time. He touched this. He never saw that. He would have liked this shirt. He would've wanted to see that movie, or that tv show, or that MMORPG update... Sigh.

Of course.  It's like the personal version of the line between BCE and CE - before death and after death.  Before he died, the dividing line was before him and once we met.  (Now, in a way, it's before the birth of my daughter and after, but it's still kinda before he died and after.)

I do this all the time.  Even with things going on in the world - I have to stop and think to myself "did he know about that?" 

I do that with changes I've made to the house also - was that pre-death or after-death?  I guess we all do that from time to time. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Technology is the one that still gets me. The changes in phones, social media, computers...all of it. So much has changed since 2007. Honestly...it's kinda scary how quickly technology is changing in rapid speed.

My Mom predicted technology would be the destruction of mankind back in 2003 after she retired from teachers computer science for 30 years.

But yeah...I do it a lot with anything media related still

Yes--without fail, while watching a movie on TV, I'll check the release date of the movie to check whether Brooks would have been alive or dead at that time.

And either way, I will feel a pang in my heart. If it was before, I try and recall what he or we might have been doing at the time the movie came out. If it was after, I know he never got a chance to see it.

Which, even Brooks, himself, would chuckle that he's damn glad to have missed out on yet another Lifetime movie.

But, yeah, I know this phenomenon. Interesting thread topic.

Baylee

• 2 weeks later...

Do you play this horrible mind game?

Yes... I do it too. Oddly, I do it with music. I find myself listening to music that I used to like before DW. The stuff we listened to together, or the songs she liked... well i'm not quite there yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Virgo, I do it too. And the not being able to throw away anything that I encounter from before he died. like train tickets...or shop receipts....I stuff it somewhere just being unable to throw it away. Clutching at straws...imaginary straws...aargh.

and yes, that too, things I look at, like, buy, eat, listen to...I mentally involve him in it...I have always involved him, why should I stop doing that? I still look at things in the men's section of shops thinking what would suit him, and then I get the pang when I realise, no, not that, never again. Gosh if all these thoughts just would go somewhere where they are received. Or are we all sending into open space ?????