Off Topic BUT MARRAIGE EQUALITY IS LEGAL IN US!!!!!!!

gretchen437

I feel it is wonderful news! And not really OT as we have had some lovely members of our widow community whose losses were made even more difficult due to not having the same rights as other couples were entitled to. I'm thinking of them today.

Guest TooSoon

So happy, so relieved that love won the day!  At long last!

I also love, love, love that my daughter is going to look at me ten years from now and be like, "What do you mean there was a time when gay people couldn't get married?" 

I feel it is wonderful news! And not really OT as we have had some lovely members of our widow community whose losses were made even more difficult due to not having the same rights as other couples were entitled to.

I agree wholeheartedly, SVS.  Reading their stories, hearing the hoops they would often have to jump through...it made my blood boil.  I am so very happy to hear love won over prejudice and closeminded, outdated tradition.  Seeing page after page of happy couples reacting with so much exuberance and unmitigated joy brings a huge smile to my face and many many tears to my eyes. 

Great news! And the timing is wonderful as I have a friend who is going to Toronto this weekend to celebrate in the Pride festival! I imagine it will be a great party!

Here in Canada it's been legal since 2005. My youngest plays with dolls, so the assumption is he will be gay. When asked what my husband thought about him playing with dolls I always answered "He goes shopping with him and helps him pick out the prettiest Barbie." I hate these stereotypes, and honestly who cares if he is? I certainly don't. I would prefer my children to be happy rather than pretend to be someone they are not!

Love knows no gender, race or age and finally the legal system is reflecting that :)

I don't mean to offend by this response...

I come to this board looking for answers, for support. I can throw on the tv or read the internet, paper and get all the politics

I could ever want and more, you can't seem to run from it. So I run to this board looking for support and answers because being a widow stinks.I want to get away from every day nonsense, go to a place where I can just hopefully get support and answers, anything with losing my partner.  I am not interested in politics on a widow board. On this board, it doesn't matter what your preferences are, we are all here for the same purpose.

Keep trying, i agree we all come here for support. Which is why I feel it's not really off topic or political to discuss marriage equality as there are widows/widowers here who have had struggles due to the fact that their relationships in the past may not have been recognized as legal unions, which certainly will cause a lot of hardships emotionally, and financially. I also think it's important for them to feel as though any future relationships will be recognized in the eyes of the law.

I realize that not everyone will agree with the decision made, and that's okay too. We are all entitled to our opinions. Being a widow stinks for sure, whether you are straight or gay.

My opinion is that this is a long overdue and wonderful ruling and I will happily support marriage equality for everyone!

General  Discussion covers an array of topics. Someone posting OT or off topic is an indicator that a subject may not be directly related to widow support. Equal marriage is very much on topic fo some of us. Keep an eye out for OT. You may not wish to read and be aware General Discussion is very varied.

Wishing you well. The widow road is a bumpy one.

It isn't a matter of who agrees or not, this is not a place for political discussions. - We do have a topic just for people who were not married, or wanted to be or anything else in - Other circumstances -

Sorry if I offended anyone.

KT, with threads I suspect I may disagree with or be bothered by from reading a thread title, I will skip over them. This issue very much relates to widowhood and losing a spouse/SO, as some of our members have eloquently shared over the two years I've been here and on the ywbb. It isn't just a political issue to many people - it affects their lives in important ways. I have been educated just how much by some of my fellow wids who've been walking this widowhood journey with me, carrying an extra load I was fortunate enough not to have to carry.

Please keep asking your questions and sharing your struggles. I feel certain you'll continue to find this a place to find comfort.

Hugs to you...

Being gay is my life. It's not about politics. I rejoiced in this news and felt sad at the same time. It's a very triggering day for me as a widow and I just wish I had my beautiful big gay wife here to celebrate with me. Now that is love. And that is grief. Not politics.

Sometimes it comes down to just deciding to stop following a thread or not even opening a thread on a subject that one doesn't want to read about. I do that depending on how I'm feeling on any particular day. I imagine that some people choose not to follow threads that I start. Some people find that the only place they feel safe to talk about some subjects is with people who might understand their perspective based on having been widowed.

We all need a little tolerance for our widowed brothers and sisters.

Maureen

I don't mean to offend by this response...

I come to this board looking for answers, for support. I can throw on the tv or read the internet, paper and get all the politics

I could ever want and more, you can't seem to run from it. So I run to this board looking for support and answers because being a widow stinks.I want to get away from every day nonsense, go to a place where I can just hopefully get support and answers, anything with losing my partner.  I am not interested in politics on a widow board. On this board, it doesn't matter what your preferences are, we are all here for the same purpose.

@keeptrying I posted this as off topic, but like so many have said this is not off topic for many members. This decision greatly affects my personal journey of grief. As a bisexual woman the fact that I could legally marry whomever I love in my Chapter 2 is a great victory. I know you didn't mean to offend, but this decision positively impacts so many members as the government has finally recognized our right to choose who we love. I am sorry if this reply upsets you, but I have found it best to just avoid threads I know will upset me. Best of Love.

My 16 year old, very right wing, son just was talking to me about this tonight.  His reaction was "everyone has the right to marry, about time!  Why would anyone care who marries who?  If you find someone to love and you want to marry, good for you, be happy, not everyone is so lucky". For him it's not political, it's common sense.  I love that about my kids and most in their generation.

It isn't a matter of who agrees or not, this is not a place for political discussions. - We do have a topic just for people who were not married, or wanted to be or anything else in - Other circumstances -

Sorry if I offended anyone.

You may be thinking of the the old ywbb "Special Circumstances" category where those who were gay were encouraged to tell their stories.  Here, it appears that anyone is able to share in whatever forum fits best for them, be it whatever timeline they are on, social, or parenting.There is no need for a "separate but equal" forum.  This is not Birmingham, Alabama in 1963.  The world has changed a lot, and most of us welcome that.

While it may be inconvenient to think we don't come here to discuss political issues, so many topics come up that are in fact political.  A few examples:

* Social Security - a New Deal Democratic program that benefits widows and chidden and keeps many out of poverty.  Also a program that allows disabled widows and early retirement aged widows to live in some sort of reasonable dignity. This is political.

* The Affordable Care Act - Many widows are abruptly removed from their spouses' insurance plans.  Some have pre-existing conditions or children in college or starting their working lives.  There are many ways this helps people.  This is political.

* Gun Control. - Always a hot button issue.  Numerous widows have been affected by the easy access to guns, either by suicide or murder.  Often the Second Amendment fetishists will weigh in with their opinions regarding firearm laws.  This is political.

* Fighting for increased enforcement of drunk driving or medical malpractice laws.  Many here have been widowed as a result of negligence at the hands of another.  We go to our state legislators to hear our voices heard.  This is political.

Yes, we come here for support and share our stories.  Yes, there are other "places" we can go to discuss inconvenient political issues.  But we also come here to share in each others' joys and disappointments. Others on this thread have given great insight on how to navigate the board so not much more to add to that other than to skip the parts that don't seem to work for you.

Wishing you the best, and a big PS shout-out to Gretchen:  thank you for being so honest and sharing your story with us.  I admire you!

The subject of marriage is a relevant topic on this board. The OP did not violate any precept or guideline. At all.

Let's reason together that our board is comprised of members with vastly varying beliefs, religions, values, backgrounds, etc, and be respectful towards all. If you suspect a thread topic will strike up your ire from the get-go, you can always exercise your freedom to refrain from entering that thread. This rule of thumb might save any offended feelings on your part. (Again, just a suggestion. Members are always free to visit whatever thread they choose to).

And I just want to add that General Discussions offers members the opportunity to post about anything on their lil widowed minds. For instance...the "This or That" thread---it's not really a widowed - related topic, (or any one, particular, discernible topic;) but it's one of our most popular threads. I'm a frequent flier on that one, for sure!

Carry on, widda peeps.

Baylee

• 1 month later...

sorry, just can't restrain myself but: life is politics, politics is life. Widowhood is life, thus is politics too. We are all in it, widows, widowers, married, unmarried, gay, straight,  willingly or not.  And;  that is a great achievement about marriage equality and makes my little widowbones happy (so, this could also go into the 'little happy things' thread, could it not ?) Please keep posting everything. I choose what I read, that is my personal freedom (and politics??) have a lovely day all  :-)