Health & Fitness

Virgo

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got outta bed later than planned :(  But still managed to squeeze in two segments of cardio -- 15 minute interval and 15-minute metabolism boost. Feelin good! Hasn't helped me with the weight loss yet, but I'm pretty sure it's because of my  poor eating habits... I'm hoping the extra muscle will aid in that area.

Got up nice and early... totally intending to do an exercise video. Motivation waned, however, and so I opted for a 20-minute power dog walk instead. I live on a hill so it's ideal if I go all the way to the bottom and back. I see it as a nice compromise :)

legs, shoulders, and cardio

leg extensions

lying leg curls

stiff leg deadlifts

leg extensions on ball

donkey kicks on ball

squat jumps

high knees

seated calf raises

low weight/high rep

scott press

arnold press

later raises

front raises

shoulder presses

elliptical

• 2 weeks later...

Massive progress for me this week in that:

1) I went on a tour to my local gym

2) I found out my company offers a subsidised membership of said gym

3) I joined the gym!

They do all sorts of cool classes, including aerial circus tricks and pole ballet so I'm looking forward to meeting new people too.

While I am still feeling frustrated, that I am no longer able to walk/run a couple miles a day or go hiking on mountain trails with New Guy (since having that mild stroke); I am happy to report that I am being "promoted" to the next level in my physical therapy. Now, instead of standing on my one weak leg for 15 seconds x 1 time/session, I get to stand on my one weak leg for 15 seconds x twice/session. It's progress, anyway.  :-\

• 2 weeks later...

I did a 40-minute walking routine, followed by a 10-minute Pilates toning session and a cool-down. It felt good to move, after taking a two-week hiatus (for no other reason than being burnt out). Question - how hard do I need to push myself to see results? I don't want to overexert to the point of exhaustion, but feel it's not a great workout if I'm not at least breathing heavy and/or sweating, right?

Donna

After 6 months of working on my fitness through adding 5 hours of cardio each week (from totally ignoring my own health for quite some time) I finally met with a nutritionist this week to add that part to the overall equation.

The good news is that I have the structure of a good diet, the bad news is that I need to back away from the table sooner. I downloaded myfitnesspal onto my phone and now I have someone to be accountable to. I am paying her to help me, so if I am anything less than honest with her, this won't work. The last thing I want to have to tell her is that I am frequenting the vending machine at work, or drinking more than the allotted 4 oz of wine with dinner....

I only have about 20 lbs to lose, so I think just that accountability factor should help and with any luck, by the end of the year I should be there. I am deliberately trying to take this slow, and view it as a permanent lifestyle change, not a diet. I never thought I would be willing to count calories for the rest of my life, but I know I have to. I am tired of losing the same 20 lbs over and over again. Worse, I am tired of losing 15 and finding 20.

Here's to hoping I can break the cycle.

Hachi,

Did the nutritionist set a goal number of calories you should be eating daily?

Just curious... MyFitnessPal has a goal and calorie counter feature. Very cool. I've been using it to track - my problem, as always, is accountability (and self-control). Good luck! Mb we can motivate each other. Add me on the "friends" list.

Donna

Donna,

I am still figuring out how it all works but I will.  Myfitness pal said for my height and weight, to lose 1/2 lb a week, I should be at 1300 calories, but the nutritionist said that was too low and I should try for 1500. She also said to ignore the subtraction for exercise for now.

I am 5'3" and weigh 148.  So a bit shorter (and fatter, LOL) than you!