Health & Fitness

Virgo

Guest Bear1956

I am gonna take off the weekend and then go to three days per week with the iron (see below) and three days per week of walking/jogging with the goal of doing some 5Ks in the future.

Routine

A

Back squat 5/3/1

Military press 5 x 5

Hang clean 5 x 5

Assistance, as needed

B

Back squat 5 x 5

Military press 5/3/1

Hang clean 5 x 5

Assistance, as needed

C

Back squat 5 x 5

Military press 5 x 5

Dead lift 5/3/1

Assistance, as needed

___

More on 5/3/1 .. https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so excited about this thread!  I have been striving for consistency in my efforts in these areas for ages.  I do have some strong suits in this life, but consistency is decidedly not one of them.  Add to that some chronic health issues that are variable and can be greatly exacerbated by doing "too much" for that day (even when it is actually not much at all) and this becomes a very tough challenge for me personally.  I mentioned some time ago on a long lost thread that the messages from others of continued successes along with admissions of less than perfect execution help me greatly.  As I said then, I feel as though I have become quite disheartened over the past year with my own personal situation.  That is NOT where I want to be. 

I hurt everywhere - I think even my hair hurts. But in a good way.

This is exactly where I want to be.  It is just hard to know where the line is between "in a good way" and "can't function for days after".  However, I was far better off when I was pushing too hard than I am after an extended period of not pushing at all.  One big thing I have on my side is time - lots of available time.  Getting to the gym is not realistic for me at this point - let alone working out when I get there.  However, I live on the 6th floor.  I am going to try to use ample free time and those stairs to my advantage.  I am going to try to post my goals each week and update daily within that same post.  I guess I should see if there is a time limit on editing before I say that...  whatever, I will make something work.

I also have my super cool FITBIT right in my pocket (thank you @TooSoon)!  So I am starting at a fairly low level here but that is just fine.

Thanks y'all who are posting and "GOOD JOB" and a great big team WOOT!

Love it AC!

I got my third strength training in today! Yay!

Third run tomorrow - will not get 4 in, but I'm happy with what I achieved this week.

Next week:

- 4 runs

- 3 strength training sessions

- A one minute plank every day  :o

After being sick for a few weeks, I ventured out and took a walk to a local restaurant for breakfast this morning.  It felt really good to be out in the sunshine, breathing fresh air.  (Of course, it also helped, being with New Guy, and stopping for a kiss every now and then, but THAT belongs in another forum).  ;)

Boot camp and Zumba class this morning.

Going to attempt my first "run" tomorrow morning. I have never been a runner and at 55 I am not sure this a good time to start, but the winter has me crazy and I have to get out of this house.

Today I spent time on my bike on the trainer.  I need to transition to the road but I am so nervous about it.  I only have 6 weeks till my first triathlon so I need to suck it up and get out there.  On the fun side I had the movie "Miracle" on while I was riding.  At the hardest part of my workout Herb Brooks was making the team do suicides for what seemed like hours after their game...definitely helped me keep going!

Hachi - enjoy starting to run.  You can do it.  Have you looked on-line at some of the beginner running programs such as couch to 5k?  A good way to do it is to run/walk at set interval (30 seconds run, 30 seconds walk) and go for 20-30 minutes.  As you gain fitness increase the interval time for the both up to a minute and then start increasing the run time so that portion is longer than the walk interval.

AC (and others who don't have access to a gym) - there are tons of workouts you can do at home and with little to no equipment - lunges, squats, pushups, tricep dips, planks....all great exercises and close to a full body workout without needing anything but you.

Well, I did it. I can't say I really enjoyed it. Enjoy that is is over LOL]. But according to my phone, i did 2.76 miles. I am pretty sure I ran all of the .76 but mostly "run to the next mailbox" but I did run the last .10

It was way colder than I expected it to be, only 22 and very windy.

Making myself drink a bottle of water before I enjoy my coffee.

Wow..I'm tired from just reading what everyone else is doing :)

So for my one class I was asked to make a goal and journal my progress, my goal was to eat better and exercise. Unfortunately the journal doesn't read so well this far, I haven't been truly trying. I have put some weight on lately and feel uncomfortable, I used to work out and I felt great.

My goal for this week is to get in at least three 20 minute sessions of rowing, go for two good walks and eat less junk food, drink more water!

Today's workout:

10 Rounds;

2 Min. Per Round:

1 Deadlift

2 Hang Squat Clean

1 Sq. Clean

3 Rounds

15 Thrusters 

15 Box Jumps 

5 Muscle Ups

It's embarrassing when a 18 yo high school senior beats your tired a$$.  :o

Mike

I am still caffeine free (except for the caffeine in green tea, which I believe is minimal), gluten free and on a vegan whole foods "diet" for lack of a better word. I know it is a lifestyle change, and honestly, I have a ton of energy. I am currently smoking, but am hoping to quit soon enough, right now is just not the time. I want to get my booty to hot yoga. I love hot yoga!

OSAAT, I eat gluten free. I'm allergic to wheat. It's inconvenient when you first start, but it gets easier. I don't feel deprived at all. It's a lot easier to eat gluten free now then it was 9 years ago. Most products are labeled with allergens and there are several name brand companies making gluten free products.

No workout for me today. I blew off going to the gym to visit with a friend. I'll make up for it tomorrow.

Actually did 5 days of 30 mins of exercise last week!  Already did 2 days this week.  Best part is that I realized this morning that my legs are not killing me after my strength training (could barely walk last week!)!!  Keep up the good work everyone!!

Guest littlebirdie

Too many weighted squats yesterday. My quads and glutes are yelling at me this morning. I'm just gonna do some vinyasa yoga later to try and warm them up and make them a little less sore.

The running was a bad idea for me,  :-[ too cold and not really ready for it, I guess. Suffering with shin splints. Need a new pair of shoes. Going to try my class tonight, but it will definitely have to be low impact, if at all  :(

Guest Bear1956

23 March 2015 Mon

Back squat to 5 x 185 lbs

Military press 5 x 5 w/ 85

Bent-over row 5 x 5 w/ 100

Went to my class. and it turns out that the muscles I use in the class offset the ones giving me the issues running, so I am feeling much better. My mission is to have someone look at my feet and my gait, get a good pair of running shoes and see what happens.

Went to my class. and it turns out that the muscles I use in the class offset the ones giving me the issues running, so I am feeling much better. My mission is to have someone look at my feet and my gait, get a good pair of running shoes and see what happens.

good plan. The right pair of shoes make a world of difference.

I am ridiculously excited about this so decided to share.  As some of you may remember, I participated in a study on the effects of aerobic exercise in fibromyalgia patients years ago.  YEARS ago.  Well, the same group from Tufts University just called me and they want me to participate in a study on the effects of Tai Chi on fibromyalgia patients!  Woot! 

Good things about this include it is paid (not much but paid exercise - WOOT!), I do better with groups but am embarrassed to do groups when my health and fitness level are this poor - but this is a perfect group, paid medical evaluations and fmri's by experts (kind of like getting a paid ninth opinion), easy to get to on the train, one more reason to get my fitness level up a bit before May! 

Overall the big thing is a great exercise group for me to participate in two times per week for 12 weeks.  It doesn't start up for about a month, but that is just fine as well.  That will also get me into the city twice a week - hopefully I will feel well enough to get out there and do some stuff. EXCITED!

Barbell Lunges

4x10 reps

Dips on the rings

4x10 (scaled them back for me by standing on a bench)

Kipping and Butterfly Pull Up

(12 Minutes) 

20 Double Under Jump Rope

5 Pull Ups

40 Double Under

10 Pull Ups

60 Double Under

15 Pull Ups

80 Double Under

20 Pull Ups

Ugh - had to sit on the floor to take my shoes off once I got home.

Mike