Health & Fitness

Virgo

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good workout weekend.  Ran 13 miles yesterday in heat that I am not used to.  Wanted to stop and walk the last 3 miles but was able to regain my focus and finish relatively strong.  The mental aspect of training is in many ways more important than the physical and is something I've struggled with in races so this was a great win for me.

And another one was I had my second road ride on my bike and did well.  20 miles with a three-peat of a .5 mile hill with almost 180 feet of elevation gain.  I did well on the hill and by the end of the ride my speed was starting to be respectable.  Still need to get some courage to go fast on the downhills.  I did have an almost wipeout when I unclipped on one side and forgot my other foot was still clipped in.  I did save myself from falling but have a huge bruise where the handlebar hit my thigh...

And on another note and even more important - congrats to Bluebird on finishing her first half marathon in style!  You rocked it!!!!

Good workout weekend.  Ran 13 miles yesterday in heat that I am not used to.  Wanted to stop and walk the last 3 miles but was able to regain my focus and finish relatively strong.  The mental aspect of training is in many ways more important than the physical and is something I've struggled with in races so this was a great win for me.

And another one was I had my second road ride on my bike and did well.  20 miles with a three-peat of a .5 mile hill with almost 180 feet of elevation gain.  I did well on the hill and by the end of the ride my speed was starting to be respectable.  Still need to get some courage to go fast on the downhills.  I did have an almost wipeout when I unclipped on one side and forgot my other foot was still clipped in.  I did save myself from falling but have a huge bruise where the handlebar hit my thigh...

And on another note and even more important - congrats to Bluebird on finishing her first half marathon in style!  You rocked it!!!!

Oh my goodness...beast mode with a bruise! Take care! Congrats on not stopping for the last 3 miles of your 13...YES, it's a total mind game. 180 FT!!!!! I can't imagine it! And thank you for your kind words about my half...thrilled it all came together on the day!

Boot camp and Zumba on Saturday. Tried running again, but suffering from shin pain today. I was really careful to land on heels, but it isn't helping. I think I have to stick to the bike until I can drop another 10 pounds, at least. Ouch......

I've been getting my 3 cardio workouts, and 3 weight training workouts in every week, but I haven't been posting. Here's what I did today:

200+ abs, mix them in between sets

Hammer lat pulldowns 45 reps, max 130#

Hammer low rows 45 reps, max 130#

T-bar rows 45 reps, max 55#

Straight bar pushdowns, 60 reps, max 45#

Straight leg dead lifts, 45 reps, max 105#

Goblet squats, 45 reps, max 25# (these are no joke!)

Drag curls on smith machine, drop set (over 100 reps) max 50#

Dumbbell curls, drop set (over 100 reps) max 20# (in each hand)

20 minutes on the dreadmill :)

Guest IronBear

Do over. Been too fucking lazy!

24 April Fri

Back squat

1 x 5 x 135

1 x 5 x 145

3 x 5 x 155

Stiff-legged dead lift -Same as squat

Close-grip floor press

1 x 5 x 95

1 x 5 x 100

3 x 5 x 105

Bent-over row - Same as floor press

Farmers walk w/ 45s

db flat bench presses 45 reps (max 35# db's)

db flat bench flys 45 reps (max 20# db's)

db flat bench pronated grip presses 45 reps (max 20# db's)

db flat bench close grip presses 45 reps (max 20# db's)

machine flys 45 reps (max 50#)

200 abs

overhead cable extensions 45 reps (max 45#)

cable pushdowns 45 reps (max 30#)

20 minutes cardio

Now that I am almost 5 months post surgery my fitness is returning at last and I have dropped 12lbs in the last few weeks and am beginning to tone up again.

My week now looks like:

Body Pump x2 (strength)

TRX Force workout x2 (resistance training)

Swim (about a mile each time) x3 (cardio)

Yoga x2 (flexibility and strength)

Sadly my surgeon said I should not be doing crossfit any more, which I loved, but the TRX is ticking that box. I would love some variety though now and to push myself into new things. My plan for this year was to do a triathlon but that is not going to happen now because of some post-surgery stuff sadly, so I am looking for a new challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has gone a little quiet so I thought I'd add to it.

Last week I completed my first week of Wendler Lifting and I'm making good progress this week too.

I'm surprised by how much weight I can lift in the 4 core lifts. Still light by comparison to the universe of people who lift, but still heavy enough that I am surprised.

Going to the gym has brought my people watching to new heights too. Two young men were deadlifting more weight than I thought was humanly possible (>450lbs). One succeeded and the other failed at the weight. Seeing the smiles, fist pumps back slaps, followed by the quiet encouragement was awesome. When I inquired about the amount of weight on the bar, and then followed up with letting them know my max was less than a quarter of that, they offered me words of encouragement and advice on how to stay safe and uninjured. They were really nice people.

So far, the experience at the gym has been good.

Take care, Bluebird

It's been an eventful week here.  I did my first triathlon on Sunday.  A very hilly Olympic distance tri.  I am a novice cyclist and the  bike portion was so scary.  I had to stop braking on the hills and just let go.  It was terrifying but I did it.  Overall I had a great day and had a lot of fun.  Then I got in my car and the song "wish you were here" was playing.  Waterworks.  It is still so hard not being able to share my accomplishments with DH.  Today I ran a half marathon that's a fundraiser for the cancer center where DH was treated. This was my 4th time running it and I finally conquered this very hilly course.  Prior to today this was the site of my 3 slowest halfs.  I felt great today and had a good time for me.  I also had a chance to talk with DHs oncologist.  First time I've seen him since we left the hospital for the last time almost four years ago.  We both had a lot of respect for him and it was really nice talking to him.  Oh, and strangely enough I heard that same song today...

Great accomplishments everyone!  I'm still going to ballet once a week for 2 hours. We now have a professional dancer in our class, so it's been considerably harder the past 2 weeks. I was so sore last week after class that I was unable to walk down stairs without searing pain in my calves for 3 days.

I am really liking the change in my body and my mind since taking these classes.

I am trying not to try to set additional unrealistic fitness goals. My daily step counts, I've mostly abandoned for the moment. The motorcycle riding season is starting up, so I hope to be doing that soon too.

Ok, so I have been walking daily, at least 2 km. I have been limiting my junk food intake, drinking lots of water. I've gained weight,lol, how is that even possible? I know muscle weighs more than fat, but my pants are tighter too,haha. I'm only laughing because I feel like crying! Sigh.

300 abs

hammer lat pulldowns

hammer low rows

cable rows with straight bar

straight bar pushdowns

stiff leg deadlifts

drag curls on smith machine

db hammer curls

db cross curls

30 minutes on the dreadmill

Just as I finished my curls my iPod died. I HAVE to have music, so I used my phone during my cardio. Beastie Boys and Limp Bizkit for 30 minutes. :)

I went to the gym last night at 11pm and did a quick chest/tri/ab workout. Easier to supersets when you're the only one there. lol

hammer chest press

hammer incline chest press

hammer decline chest press

cable flys

hammer dips

cable pushdowns

200 abs

For Memorial Day, did the "Murph" workout named after Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. He was 29, of Patchogue, N.Y. Lt Murphy was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor after his death.  :'(

"Murph"

For time:

1 mile Run

100 Pull-ups

200 Push-ups

300 Squats

1 mile Run

I had to walk/stumble the last mile, but I made it.

I have some hard work ahead of me.  In June, I'm going to Philadelphia for a 3-day long inline skating weekend.  I used to do this every year, but my wife's illness kept me at home the past 2 years.  This year, I've had a late start on fitness after recovering from bursitis in my leg.

I know from experience that I will be skating at least 20 miles per day on Philadelphia's streets in hot, humid weather.  I expect to go home tired.  If I don't get myself into better shape, I might also go home injured.

I skated 13-15 miles on Friday, then spent 40 minutes on a stationary bike Saturday.  I did the same skate Sunday and the same bike routine today (Monday).  I have a commitment to skate 9.5 miles on Wednesday, but it will be at a low intensity.  I also need to let some chafing heal on my foot.

I'll be in much better shape if I can keep up this routine for the next few weeks.  I'm posting here to make my intentions public.  If I don't tell anyone about these plans, then I'm more likely to make excuses and skip my workouts.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

200 abs

lat pulldowns

cable rows

straight leg deadlifts

bent over rows

straight bar pushdowns

drag curls on Smith machine

db concentration curls

I started walking on the treadmill but couldn't stand the stench of a guy in the gym. I could smell him as soon as he walked in.Gross! I know that probably sounds bad, but don't let your cats use your clothes as their litter box.